Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 26, 2024, 06:06:46 PM

Login with username, password and session length

ROADRUNNER: A Film About Anthony Bourdain

Started by Bazooka, June 07, 2021, 04:13:33 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bazooka

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=ihEEjwRlghQ

Travel is a luxury, but it's one of the most fulfilling of conquests.

Keebleman

Quote from: Bazooka on June 07, 2021, 04:13:33 PM
https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=ihEEjwRlghQ

Travel is a luxury, but it's one of the most fulfilling of conquests.

If it was ANTHONY BOURDAIN: A Film About Roadrunner it'd be more likely I'd be on board for it.   Beep beep.

Shoulders?-Stomach!

Been watching Parts Unknown and enjoying it.

So is this going to be be lots of his TV show footage with some talking heads and a narrator?

Bazooka

I think it's more a retrospective with those that knew him, with some new footage mixed with old.

Parts Unknown is brilliant.

Blue Jam

Love Parts Unknown. Will probably watch this and cry at the end. Deffo on board for this.

phes

Really enjoyed parts unknown and some of no reservations and would recommend them to anyone. Not sure after all those hours I need an inspirational documentary about Bourdain becoming slightly less of a bell end though 

beanheadmcginty

Were any of Bourdain's programmes shown in the UK before Netflix arrived? I'd certainly never heard of him before then but he seems to be all over the place the past few years (especially considering he's not really in the position to make any new stuff).

Blue Jam

Quote from: beanheadmcginty on June 09, 2021, 08:06:56 PM
Were any of Bourdain's programmes shown in the UK before Netflix arrived? I'd certainly never heard of him before then but he seems to be all over the place the past few years (especially considering he's not really in the position to make any new stuff).

Kitchen Confidential was pretty massive in the 90's. Perhaps not The Dice Man big but up there with Mr Nice, certainly. One of those essential "lad" books for every Loaded or Select reader getting into the whole Gonzo spirit*.

He was also known primarily for his writing rather than his cooking. If you can't name one of his restaurants it's because I'm pretty sure he never owned one- he was always more of a perfectly competent trained chef who could be trusted to serve up the classics than an innovator or entrepreneur, and I don't think he ever wanted to be one of your Gordon Ramsay or Jamie Oliver types with an empire. He also wrote more novels than he did recipe books.

*That's not a criticism btw- I re-read it a few years back and it holds up, read the other two back in the day and wasn't a fan.

beanheadmcginty

It's only just occurred to me that "Loaded magazine" is a pun. As in, a loaded magazine of ammo in a gun. Only taken me nearly 30 years for that penny to drop.

Claude the Racecar Driving Rockstar Super Sleuth

I caught the odd episode of No Reservations on some travel or cooking channel in the high hundreds on Freeview, about ten years ago. I don't know if it was before Netflix.

I've never quite managed to work out how I feel about him. His telly programmes are interesting and be was an engaging presence (and much less irritating than any of Britain's rockstar chef types) but he did have a bit of a dude bro idol persona about him. I don't care how many drugs a chef takes, cooking will never be the new rock n roll. Just make my tea and shut up.

buzby

Most of his shows were shown on the Discovery channels on Sky and cable in the UK.

beanheadmcginty

That explains it. Couldn't even pick up Channel 5 where I lived.

Egyptian Feast

Quote from: beanheadmcginty on June 10, 2021, 07:39:32 PM
It's only just occurred to me that "Loaded magazine" is a pun. As in, a loaded magazine of ammo in a gun. Only taken me nearly 30 years for that penny to drop.

Fuck my hat!

The Mollusk

I very much enjoyed "Parts Unknown" but I had to stop watching it because I couldn't handle the amount of footage of fuckin goats getting their heads machete'd off and whatever. Obvs I love the show for its unapologetic and even confrontational approach to how it depicts the wider world but personally I just can't hack it.