Main Menu

Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 08:43:21 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Shopping bags

Started by Leej88, June 07, 2021, 10:37:30 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Leej88

Mr_Simnock

Good if true, the less plastic bags around the better, get yourself a reusable shopping bag

Butchers Blind

They'll be fashionable again in 20 years.

imitationleather

Jerzy Bondov

I find it nigh-on impossible to suffocate a tramp with a hessian tote.

Alberon

Just put your shopping in the lining of your coat. Has the added benefit of not having to pay for it either.

Kankurette

Since when?

The Co-Op green bags are shite. They fall apart after one use.
Quote from: Alberon on June 07, 2021, 11:09:29 PM
Just put your shopping in the lining of your coat. Has the added benefit of not having to pay for it either.
Or up your arse. Might hurt a bit though.

Captain Z

Couldn't get away with this nowadays.

Ferris

If you're not doing all your shopping in tote bags from various museums you've been to then I don't know what to tell you.

I wheel it home in the nipper's giant wagon thing, he has a grand old time holding onto cheddar and bags of frozen peas.

Uncle TechTip

Has anyone ever took back a bag for life that's worn out? I have one (Asda) with a small rip and I'm keen to test out this promise. Do I need to take it to Asda or will another supermarket do? Do I go to customer services, and say, I need a new bag for life?

imitationleather

Quote from: Uncle TechTip on June 07, 2021, 11:40:52 PM
Has anyone ever took back a bag for life that's worn out? I have one (Asda) with a small rip and I'm keen to test out this promise. Do I need to take it to Asda or will another supermarket do? Do I go to customer services, and say, I need a new bag for life?

People report back and let me know if they look at you like you just dropped out of a dog's arse or not.

Captain Z

Quote from: imitationleather on June 07, 2021, 11:41:36 PM
People report back and let me know if they look at you like you just dropped out of a dog's arse or not.

Literally the only time I have ever attempted it, this was exactly my experience. A real look of "mate, nobody actually does that" while she silently exchanged it. Not a single word.

In fact I have a bag that could do with exchanging right now, I'm going to test this again at the next opportunity.

Elderly Sumo Prophecy

Quote from: imitationleather on June 07, 2021, 11:03:06 PM
Join the 21st century:

I'm afraid I'd probably look rather silly in a short skirt and thigh length boots. I just don't have the legs for it.

idunnosomename

remember the days when the checkout staff would literally throw free plastic bags at you? and you could put your rubbish in them? that's the wokerati who took it away. remember that when you're next at the ballot box. vote conservativkveeee  vwlk imahrgh

buntyman

I know for a fact that supermarkets will throw any returned bags for life directly into the sea.
My advice for anyone not wanting to pay the extortionate 50p per bag is to portion up all your items into the tiny fruit and veg bags that are still free and hang them on your belt.

Tony Tony Tony

Quote from: Elderly Sumo Prophecy on June 08, 2021, 12:52:44 AM
I'm afraid I'd probably look rather silly in a short skirt and thigh length boots. I just don't have the legs for it.

Try it. You never know, you might like it.

zomgmouse

Reminds me of this from Mr. Winner

Chedney Honks

I've got about eighty quid worth in a crinkly boulder in the kitchen. As long as I don't burn or bin it, I figure no harm done

Attila

Quote from: FerriswheelBueller on June 07, 2021, 11:39:28 PM
If you're not doing all your shopping in tote bags from various museums you've been to then I don't know what to tell you.

I wheel it home in the nipper's giant wagon thing, he has a grand old time holding onto cheddar and bags of frozen peas.

From museums and conferences. (I'm rapidly running out of working pens and cheapo sticky notes thanks to all of my conferences being online over the past year).

Buelligan

Quote from: Uncle TechTip on June 07, 2021, 11:40:52 PM

Whose life?  Maybe he means your life.  Could be, quite reasonably, explained in a court of law as reason enough to strike you dead. 

Ask yourself, do you value this bag enough to risk it.  Think now and think fast before it's too late.

buttgammon

There are dozens of them rotting away in my boiler cupboard because I live with someone who can't be arsed with reusable bags, so she buys new ones every time she goes shopping, thereby wasting her money and fucking the planet over.

Quote from: Attila on June 08, 2021, 07:50:57 AM
From museums and conferences. (I'm rapidly running out of working pens and cheapo sticky notes thanks to all of my conferences being online over the past year).

Yes, I was going to say, attend conferences and you'll never need to buy a bag again. With everything online, I'm actually starting to miss the tat.

Quote from: Buelligan on June 08, 2021, 07:55:55 AM
Whose life?  Maybe he means your life.  Could be, quite reasonably, explained in a court of law as reason enough to strike you dead. 

Ask yourself, do you value this bag enough to risk it.  Think now and think fast before it's too late.

Good point, these supermarkets have been playing God for too long.

Who the fuck do they think they are?

Gurke and Hare

Quote from: buntyman on June 08, 2021, 01:14:11 AM
My advice for anyone not wanting to pay the extortionate 50p per bag is to portion up all your items into the tiny fruit and veg bags that are still free and hang them on your belt.

That's no good, Sainsbury'sthe PC Police have taken those away too now.

JaDanketies

I've returned bags for life. I like to make small-talk about the bags for life with the cashier. My go-to joke is pointing out a torn bag for life from a rival supermarket and commenting on the inferior quality bags offered by "the competition."

Anyway I could get a nice fabric bag for like £1, so if they're making bags for life 50p they ought to make them good quality. They should make them out of fabric and bin off plastic altogether really if they're gonna gouge us like that.

Quote from: idunnosomename on June 08, 2021, 12:57:29 AM
remember the days when the checkout staff would literally throw free plastic bags at you? and you could put your rubbish in them? that's the wokerati who took it away. remember that when you're next at the ballot box. vote conservativkveeee  vwlk imahrgh

like literally everything 'woke' that has happened in the last decade, it was the Tories what did the plastic bag charge. That handwringing do-gooder social-care-destroying poor-person-starver David Cameron's fault. 2015 it was

Can't see where they're increasing the price to 50p actually but I can see that small retailers are now also obliged to charge for bags. Good news. The corner shop just fuckin throws em at you, you ask for a lighter and the guy wants to put it in a bag.

Sebastian Cobb

They're great if you need to move a record collection, way easier to do more small runs with bags for life's of lp's in each hand rather than a big box, which takes two people and is bastard heavy.

TrenterPercenter

Quote from: JaDanketies on June 08, 2021, 09:19:25 AM
like literally everything 'woke' that has happened in the last decade, it was the Tories what did the plastic bag charge. That handwringing do-gooder social-care-destroying poor-person-starver David Cameron's fault. 2015 it was

Nah it was the Lib-dems; they forced the Tories to do it.  It was one of the compromises that made the collalition worthwhile.

Lib Dems got a plastic bag tax and the Tories raised VAT, tripled uni fees and created a whole industry of food banks.

JaDanketies

Quote from: TrenterPercenter on June 08, 2021, 09:32:18 AM
Nah it was the Lib-dems; they forced the Tories to do it.  It was one of the compromises that made the collalition worthwhile.

Lib Dems got a plastic bag tax and the Tories raised VAT, tripled uni fees and created a whole industry of food banks.

Well remembered. What a shit legacy for Clegg. Plastic bags and university fees were his red lines and he gave up on the university fees.

metaltax