Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 12:02:19 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Recommend me some Philip K Dick

Started by Sam, February 29, 2004, 02:51:15 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ambient Sheep

Seeing as this fifteen-year-old thread has been bumped, it might be worth clarifying my slightly confused notes above regarding the short-story collections, as accurate info is now available.  From another PKD thread two years ago:

Quote from: Ambient Sheep on August 30, 2017, 03:56:56 PM...some of those [short-story] collections (Volume 2 in particular, I think), were put out under more than one name depending on publisher.  This caught me out when I was wading through them in the 1990s.  But yeah, well worth checking out.

Aha!  Some wonderful person has collated the info you need in a nice table on Wikipedia:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Philip_K._Dick_bibliography#Comparison_of_editions

And yes, that's what caught me out: Volume Two is called Second Variety by Gollancz, but Citadel Twilight's Second Variety is Volume THREE, which is called The Father-Thing by Gollancz.

Basically Citadel Twilight want shooting; why would you DO that?!  It's bad enough to rename them in the first place (although I can forgive the highlighting of The Minority Report given the success of the film), but to rename them using titles already used by previous editions for different volumes?!  Grave.

Poobum

Didn't realise it was such a massive thread bump, now I feel like I'm complicit in something nefarious and dirty.

I've only read one of his - and my advice is, avoid that one, Counter-Clock World.  Fascinating though the premise may sound, the execution, here, is dire.

Quote from: Phoenix Lazarus on August 31, 2019, 08:39:32 PM
I've only read one of his - and my advice is, avoid that one, Counter-Clock World.  Fascinating though the premise may sound, the execution, here, is dire.

Lies. Inc is another one to avoid - a short novel he wrote in the 60s then in the 70s ruined it by plonking new material which makes no sense in the middle.

Urinal Cake

It depends on which bent you want to go on. SciFi Martian Time Slip, Ubik, Flow My tears the policeman said, DADOES, His SciFi/gnostic stuff The Three Stigmata of Palmer Elderitch, The semi-autobiographical/gnostic stuff Valis, The Transmigration of Timothy Archer

Urinal Cake

Quote from: Glamorgan testicle ward on September 17, 2019, 12:33:57 AM
Lies. Inc is another one to avoid - a short novel he wrote in the 60s then in the 70s ruined it by plonking new material which makes no sense in the middle.
Dick in his early career  was a pulp writer on amphetamines with a difficult family life and he was getting paid by the word it explains a lot.