Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 11:58:47 AM

Login with username, password and session length

"I lost a gig because I'm a Straight White Male" claims Nick Dickson

Started by Sebastian Cobb, June 08, 2021, 10:25:52 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Sebastian Cobb

I mean this is obviously bollocks and it's likely he isn't very good. But perhaps more troubling are people like Chortle repeating this culture war bollocks (from the Daily Express) pretty much verbatim.

Ironically they can't even maintain consistency with their own sidebar.

Bernice

Saw him twice on mixed bills in the Top Secret Comedy club a few years ago. Funnily enough, his material actually speaks to why diversity on bills, even if "cack-handedly engineered", is not a bad strategy. As I remember, he was textbook "middle class white guy doing observations" and did not stand out in bills crowded with the same. Variety is the spice of life, Nixon.

Bernice

Oh lol, just read the rest of the article and he appears to be a massive whopper so I'll be less circumspect: he's shit.

Sebastian Cobb

At least it hasn't made him immediately pivot into being an 'anti-woke' comedian.

Ironically Darts seems to be one of the few sports that has women playing against men at pro level (in the PDC at least).

sevendaughters

I'm (kind of) not complaining but my band were booted from a support slot with a mid-sized touring indie band because we are all straight blokes. They were a queer group. This came straight from the group's manager. I wanted to remonstrate and say something about ignoring class but they were Americans so thought better of it. It does happen, it is going to continue to happen if you're a curator/promoter trying to make space in a world that has a surfeit of white performers, and it isn't the end of the world if you're the one booted. But I also doubt its efficiency as any kind of solution, and the flipside of people making capital in the anti-woke dollar market is strong now.

lipsink

Chortle are obviously desperate for clicks/people sharing/people getting outraged  etc. Last year they had a ridiculous comment by the odious, attention seeking comedy critic Kate Copstick saying there should've been a Fringe in August 2020 (right in the middle of a fucking pandemic and just before another huge spike). It's pretty irresponsible of them. Also, Steve Bennett the writer for them can be pretty horrible in his write ups.

PlanktonSideburns

"doesn't benifit anyone"

It literally benefits other people you hammy flap.

It doesnt happen to 'all of us', look at all the successful non disabled white blokes in the comment bar.

Sebastian Cobb

Quote from: sevendaughters on June 08, 2021, 10:38:44 AM
I'm (kind of) not complaining but my band were booted from a support slot with a mid-sized touring indie band because we are all straight blokes. They were a queer group. This came straight from the group's manager. I wanted to remonstrate and say something about ignoring class but they were Americans so thought better of it. It does happen, it is going to continue to happen if you're a curator/promoter trying to make space in a world that has a surfeit of white performers, and it isn't the end of the world if you're the one booted. But I also doubt its efficiency as any kind of solution, and the flipside of people making capital in the anti-woke dollar market is strong now.

Is it not that it's just a little unusual to get dunted in the name of progression though? I kind of feel that if people get bumped for more established names or something, which presumably happens fairly frequently, people may not be happy about it, but they kind of just sulkily suck it up. Trying to speak generally here but it feels a bit personal, sorry about that.

phantom_power

It's funny how these right wing middle class cunts are always saying that the left have abandoned the working class and then are the first to align those same working class people with racists and thugs. Oh and that working class people can only be straight and white as well

phantom_power

Katt Williams, one of the more offensive and DGAF of comedians, made a pretty good argument against cancel culture.

https://deadline.com/2021/06/katt-williams-cancel-culture-cancellation-doesnt-have-its-own-culture-1234770093/

Key quote regarding comedians who can't get with the times and shrug off language and attitudes that are no longer acceptable - "If these are the confines that keep you from doing the craft God put you to, then it probably ain't for you"

sevendaughters

Quote from: Sebastian Cobb on June 08, 2021, 10:41:55 AM
Is it not that it's just a little unusual to get dunted in the name of progression though? I kind of feel that if people get bumped for more established names or something, which presumably happens fairly frequently, people may not be happy about it, but they kind of just sulkily suck it up. Trying to speak generally here but it feels a bit personal, sorry about that.

Nah I am - up to a point where it becomes ridiculous or grotesquely illiberal - entirely for it, but there's going to be a price to pay for weighing up social disadvantages. We found another paid show same night. I'm sure World Class Hen Night Insulter Nick Dixon can do the same.

phantom_power

I don't know how these people expect us to get equality without some white people missing out. Obviously it is always some sort of quota filling rather than the white cunts not being good enough

Sebastian Cobb

these certainly don't sound like the actions of a man whose byline is 'zero F***S given'.

up_the_hampipe

Quote from: phantom_power on June 08, 2021, 10:45:43 AM
Katt Williams, one of the more offensive and DGAF of comedians, made a pretty good argument against cancel culture.

https://deadline.com/2021/06/katt-williams-cancel-culture-cancellation-doesnt-have-its-own-culture-1234770093/

Key quote regarding comedians who can't get with the times and shrug off language and attitudes that are no longer acceptable - "If these are the confines that keep you from doing the craft God put you to, then it probably ain't for you"

To be fair, that's coming from someone who is clearly impervious to any sort of scandal. That feeling of being bulletproof or grandfathered in can cloud your perspective a little, same with Seth Rogen's recent comments.

Bazooka

Indeed, and he seems to be unclear about the difference in language changing as societal norms do, and the undeniable insipid and toxic witch hunts from a very vocal minority.

lipsink

Rogen isn't immune to scandal. He was recently criticised by Charlyne Yi for enabling James Franco's toxic behaviour. Plus he's been in some films that haven't exactly aged well. Like Frankie Boyle though he seems like he's made an attempt to change and grow rather than whine about "why can't it be 2008 again?"

Spiteface

Quote from: Sebastian Cobb on June 08, 2021, 10:59:22 AM
these certainly don't sound like the actions of a man whose byline is 'zero F***S given'.

People who say that usually give the most "F***S" in my experience. They just want free reign to be an arsehole.

Cunt looks like someone ordered a £10 Jason Manford off Aliexpress.

Kankurette

No, sugar tits, it's probably because you're shit. Stewart Lee doesn't seem to have problems with gigs and he's all of those things.
Quote from: Sebastian Cobb on June 08, 2021, 10:37:18 AM
At least it hasn't made him immediately pivot into being an 'anti-woke' comedian.

Ironically Darts seems to be one of the few sports that has women playing against men at pro level (in the PDC at least).
Did he miss the bit about Gary Lineker being working-class? People seem to think the guy was born with a silver spoon up his arse. He wasn't. His dad sold fruit and veg at Leicester market, hardly posh.

Football has alienated working-class fans massively but it's not because of black players (because let's face it, that's what he means), many of whom are themselves working-class. It's because of increasing ticket prices, the overinvolvement of Sky, greedy twats like Ashley, Kroenke, the Glazers and FSG who treat football teams as their personal cash cows and care more about foreign fans than the ones who actually go the game, useless owners like Chansiri who haven't got a clue about the reality of running a football club, matches being at weird hours which make them harder to get to...you get my drift. But that would involve him actually using his fucking head.

MigraineBoy

I can't get over that pinned tweet.  He viewed that exchange good enough to caption, add music to and then pin.  Jesus.

Kankurette

Quote from: phantom_power on June 08, 2021, 10:42:17 AM
It's funny how these right wing middle class cunts are always saying that the left have abandoned the working class and then are the first to align those same working class people with racists and thugs. Oh and that working class people can only be straight and white as well
Yeah funny how no working-class black people exist, isn't it? What do they think Marcus Rashford is, a titled peer?

How is Gareth Southgate saying 'stop being racist' contemptuous? Is he supposed to throw all the BME players under the bus or something? "Sorry, Marcus, Bukayo, Dominic, Raheem and all the rest of you, I can't play you because it's not fair on the fans"?

Poirots BigGarlickyCorpse

Quote from: MigraineBoy on June 08, 2021, 12:44:16 PM
I can't get over that pinned tweet.  He viewed that exchange good enough to caption, add music to and then pin.  Jesus.
Getting roasted in the replies too

My favourite is "Is Jessica gigging? Can we watch her instead?"

Captain Z

"I lost never had a gig because I'm a Straight White Male a promoter was too polite to tell one of my fans that they have fucking crap taste in comedians."

checkoutgirl

Quote from: sevendaughters on June 08, 2021, 10:38:44 AMthe flipside of people making capital in the anti-woke dollar market is strong now.

Yeah it's annoying how expected it all is now. Like some cricket team say they're going to kneel because of black live matter. I would refuse to kneel because it's just a convenient way for people to do the bare minimum and not do much about it at all. Then you're some villain if you don't do a meaningless gesture like kneel down for a few seconds.

Kankurette

Quote from: checkoutgirl on June 08, 2021, 12:58:35 PM
Yeah it's annoying how expected it all is now. Like some cricket team say they're going to kneel because of black live matter. I would refuse to kneel because it's just a convenient way for people to do the bare minimum and not do much about it at all. Then you're some villain if you don't do a meaningless gesture like kneel down for a few seconds.
See, that part of it I agree with - Les Ferdinand has said it and so has one of the Palace players, that it's all hollow if the FA do fuck all to back it up and just allow racism to go unchecked.