Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 29, 2024, 09:45:41 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Favourite reliably typecast actors

Started by Gurke and Hare, June 08, 2021, 01:17:10 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

George White

Noel Purcell - the Irish Hugh Griffith - your token 50s Brit film seadog.

Bently Sheds

Need a bloke who's completely legit & part of the establishment, but he's really a little bit woo, a little bit weyyyy? Good looking, but slightly let himself go?

Danny Webb is your man

Jim_MacLaine

Quote from: Bently Sheds on June 10, 2021, 09:22:12 AM
Need a bloke who's completely legit & part of the establishment, but he's really a little bit woo, a little bit weyyyy? Good looking, but slightly let himself go?

Danny Webb is your man

and his IMDB shows him constantly in work every year from 1982. Consistent.

Ignatius_S

Quote from: Lisa Jesusandmarychain on June 09, 2021, 11:08:50 PM
That Familiar Unknown is a blummin' good read, but  one or two entries seem a little harsh.

The recently departed Nicola Pagett, for example; she was actually quite a well established actress, and had a couple of leading roles in her time. I mean, as long as you're going down that route, you may as well claim that Her Who Plays Villanelle deserves a place in this category, haplessly typecast as Massively Fit Bit Of Crumpet.

Pagett was an incredibly well established actor and was usually in leading roles. I saw her as Mrs Prentice in What The Butler Saw at the National - Richard Wilson (who also directed), John Alderton and David Tennant were in the cast. Pagett was also in the touring version but abruptly left, which was well-reported in both tabloids and broadsheet press.

Haven't looked at the site for a while, but some of the inclusions (e.g. Darren Nesbitt) didn't really fit the billing but seemed rather arbitrary, but in fairness it's providing a very cursory overview about people's careers.

phantom_power

Yeah. Eric Sykes is in there for Cliff's sake but he is hardly unknown

Brundle-Fly

David Scholfield invariably plays scary Northerners/ villains/ bent coppers. Basically, characters who rarely have a warm smile. I first noticed him in (first pic) An American Werewolf In London (1981). Top actor, and what a career.

Small Man Big Horse

Quote from: Lisa Jesusandmarychain on June 09, 2021, 10:50:05 PM
Also for our American Readers: Jean Smart. Sub- Sarandon sassy slightly older female parts in comedies a speciality ( must have been the fist name that came to the casting director's mind for that role in " Frasier".)

Last saw her playing a more mature, patriarchal part in that series of " Fargo".

She's been in a lot of really great stuff recently, including Legion, Mare Of Easttown, Watchmen and her own HBO series Hacks, which has just been given a second season, and has been fantastic in all of them.

George White

Quote from: Small Man Big Horse on June 10, 2021, 07:41:15 PM
She's been in a lot of really great stuff recently, including Legion, Mare Of Easttown, Watchmen and her own HBO series Hacks, which has just been given a second season, and has been fantastic in all of them.
Also the Audrey Roberts/Joan character in https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wSwZmu3n5O0

Absorb the anus burn

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gerald_Sim

Gerald Sim always seemed to play Vicars or Chaplains or Bishops or Priests or Reverends.

vainsharpdad

Georgie Glen is known in our house, as the woman who is in things.

Blue Jam

Quote from: Inspector Norse on June 09, 2021, 10:56:39 AM
One bloke whose appearances always get a chuckle is Lance Reddick, a man you simply cannot imagine having an actual life beyond playing gruff, by-the-book, uniformed authority figures with a surprising tendency to give maverick subordinates a bit of leeway. I get the impression that he runs his own household by calling the kids in for meetings in his study and warning them for overspending or slacking off with their chores, but then letting them have a biscuit even though they didn't finish their dinner, because they drank some juice earlier.

Havw you seen him in Corporate? It's a comedy but you'd get the exact same impression.

Jake Thingray

Quote from: Lisa Jesusandmarychain on June 09, 2021, 10:46:44 PM
Royce Mills ( although you could argue he's had some quite varied roles; he was the voice of a dalek in the same 1984 episode of " Dr. Who" that had Rodney Bewes in it, for example).

Afraid he left us two years ago, luv. I wrote this about him at the time.

Really should give a tip of the hat to the star of my avatar, and his brother Wolfe. Regarding this Familiar Unknown blog, to be honest I prefer the way this man does it, on this section of his site.