Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Members
  • Total Members: 17,819
  • Latest: Jeth
Stats
  • Total Posts: 5,576,469
  • Total Topics: 106,648
  • Online Today: 708
  • Online Ever: 3,311
  • (July 08, 2021, 03:14:41 AM)
Users Online
Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 18, 2024, 02:54:51 AM

Login with username, password and session length

I Think You Should Leave with Tim Robinson - Season 2

Started by Bobloblawslawbomb, June 08, 2021, 06:25:00 PM

Previous topic - Next topic
Released on July 6th. Santa brought it early!

Massively looking forward to this. First season was fantastic, hopefully see more Connor O'Malley and Sam Richardson involved as well.

up_the_hampipe

Oh, excellent! Wasn't sure there'd even be more of this. It got such a ferocious following, clearly there was a hunger for something like this.

Claude the Racecar Driving Rockstar Super Sleuth

Just as long as there's no more of that Bart Harley Jarvis.

wooders1978

Brilliant  - felt this was a bit underrated, at least over on these fair shores - got a week off the following week, I sense a binge coming on (fuck sunshine)

selectivememory

Loved the first season of this. A bit patchy, but so zippy that even if there was a dud, there was always another hilarious sketch just around the corner.

up_the_hampipe

Quote from: Claude the Racecar Driving Rockstar Super Sleuth on June 08, 2021, 07:27:02 PM
Just as long as there's no more of that Bart Harley Jarvis.

I heard he got pancaked by a drunk dump truck driver.

Bumping this, new series released tomorrow. Legitimately excited, really hope it can at least match the brilliance of the first series.

Not sure if everyone is aware of the unofficial pre-ITYSL 'pilot' Tim Robinson did for Netflix as part of the otherwise forgettable series 'The Characters'. Strongly recommend, 6 flawless sketches that could easily sit in the ITYSL universe. The opening 'Sammy Paradise' sketch is one of the hardest I've ever laughed.

Icehaven

Quote from: wooders1978 on June 08, 2021, 07:30:18 PM
Brilliant  - felt this was a bit underrated, at least over on these fair shores - got a week off the following week, I sense a binge coming on (fuck sunshine)

If it's anything like the first one the entire series will be about an hour and a half long.

Quote from: icehaven on July 05, 2021, 01:21:38 PM
If it's anything like the first one the entire series will be about an hour and a half long.

Yeah I really hope the extended break between series means we get more than 6 x 15 mins this time.

Enrico Palazzo

Quote from: Bobloblawslawbomb on July 05, 2021, 01:17:43 PM
Bumping this, new series released tomorrow. Legitimately excited, really hope it can at least match the brilliance of the first series.

Not sure if everyone is aware of the unofficial pre-ITYSL 'pilot' Tim Robinson did for Netflix as part of the otherwise forgettable series 'The Characters'. Strongly recommend, 6 flawless sketches that could easily sit in the ITYSL universe. The opening 'Sammy Paradise' sketch is one of the hardest I've ever laughed.

Ah man, that episode was a joy. Watched it over and over.

thundarrshirt

Showed a characteristic amount of self-control and watched the whole thing in one go. Was worried that, with the first season apparently being made up in part of Robinson's rejected SNL sketches, the well would be dry for the second go-around. Shouldn't have worried!

earl_sleek

Quote from: Bobloblawslawbomb on July 05, 2021, 01:17:43 PM

I thought Lauren Lapkus' episode of The Characters was pretty good. Robinson's episode is excellent though, and I second the recommendation for ITYSL fans who haven't seen it.

Pseudopath

Only 4 minutes in and already choking with laughter at Coffin Flop. Amazing.

wooders1978

That is true and fair criticism

Anyway, on 'flix now !

Petey Pate

Some very funny moments here and there but on the whole I thought this was weaker than the first season.  Too many of the sketches follow the same formula of over the top reactions (usually with shouting which comes out of nowhere) to awkward social situations which makes the style of humour feel repetitive very quickly.  Also the sketches rarely have any kind of pay off, they just end.  This wouldn't be a problem if the sketches were creatively connected or thematically linked (e.g. Monty Python or Mr Show), or if the material was weirder and more rapid fire (e.g. Tim and Eric or Eric Andre). Here the format is rigid - sketch, interlude, sketch, interlude - so the lack of punchlines or resolutions is glaring.

The highlight was the courtroom sketch which put an different spin on what would have been a typical ITYSL sketch.  I wish there had been more subversion like that overall.

Claude the Racecar Driving Rockstar Super Sleuth

Sadly, I have to agree with Petey Pate. I watched the first series again just last week and it had me creased up, with a frequency that this one just didn't match. This felt like 90% awkward/shouty sketches, whereas the first series had a much greater variety of tones and ideas.

The Buff Boys sketch was a pale retread of the brilliant Baby of the Year one. It's easy to assume that they must have been a bit desperate for material.

thugler

First one was a bit better. But still had a few great moments. Best sketch/reprise was the thing about the shirt store. The pay off was glorious.

Had incredibly high hopes and I wasn't disappointed. Standard is still incredibly high throughout.

Coffin flops, water steaks, professor eating the burger, detective crashmore, calico cut pants all floored me.

ASFTSN

Why is the Dan Flashes shirts stuff so funny to me? Dumb as fuck, but highly enjoyable. Still a mixed bag but enjoying it.

Dr Rock

Binged it one go. Great stuff.

Plus points, the woman I love is in it (Patti Harrison, she had the dirty tables)

selectivememory

Bob Odenkirk was great in his brief appearance.

Good stuff on the whole. It is patchy, and I do see what people are saying about it being a bit formulaic once you're familiar with his style, as I found I enjoyed it less as the season went on. But when the sketches hit it's one of the few things that can make me really lose myself laughing. Coffin Flop, ffs.

Fry

Really enjoying this season, have a couple left to go. Gotta say though, I am glad I didn't rewatch the first season before this. Like lots of people mentioned up thread, it is a little formulaic. However, its buoyed by consistently fantastic performances throughout by pretty much every actor. Every episode has at least a couple of lines you can't help but keep repeating in Tim's strange way, with its odd emphasis and random changes in volume. Brilliant.

The name of the show is really quite apt considering so many episodes feature sketches where someone at a party or work is having some weird breakdown and drawing attention to themselves.

Icehaven

Another vote for coffin flops here, that had me in bits.
Thoroughly enjoyed it overall, agree it's bit patchy although I partly put that down to my own dislike of potentially good ideas being wasted by being based around fart/poo jokes, but that's just my personal taste. The hits are more than good enough to make up for the misses.
It's still weird to me that it's so short. I mean the criticisms that it's formulaic or rehashing the first series are kind of true, it's almost as if more standard series of 6 half hour episodes has been split in two, which isn't a problem as far as I'm concerned but I think it might start to get a bit tired after a few more series.

Dusty Substance

Just watched the first two episodes of the new season. Lots to love and it served as a decent reminder of how much I loved the first season. Coffin Flops was a definite highlight and I really liked the ghost tour, too.

This is the only problem. Sure, sometimes less is more but the first two episodes total 33 minutes and I'm already a third of the way through the entire season. Gonna take a break and watch two a night over the next couple of nights. Don't want to burn through the entire season in one night like last time.

g0m

Quote from: Dr Rock on July 11, 2021, 01:39:36 PM
Binged it one go. Great stuff.

Plus points, the woman I love is in it (Patti Harrison, she had the dirty tables)

and she can't stop having wine

ASFTSN

I reckon Tim Robinson's got a sort of Limmy-esque gift of making material that would seem whacky or poor on paper work by having great command of two or three clownish sort-of-characters, and really funny cadence/physical comedy. Most of the sketches that don't have him in don't work for me (the one with Tim Heidecker in the space restaurant was bad, and I really like TH) and stuff that's completely paper thin nonsense that DOES feature Robinson has had me proper belly laughing (
Spoiler alert
The Blues Brothers
[close]
party saving technique)

steveh

Despite some really funny bits, as the second season went on there were times I felt oh no, yet another sketch in which a man pushes a situation beyond the normal limits and then after some awkwardness and shouting things just peter out.

Icehaven

Quote from: ASFTSN on July 12, 2021, 09:00:23 AM
I reckon Tim Robinson's got a sort of Limmy-esque gift of making material that would seem whacky or poor on paper work by having great command of two or three clownish sort-of-characters, and really funny cadence/physical comedy. Most of the sketches that don't have him in don't work for me (the one with Tim Heidecker in the space restaurant was bad, and I really like TH) and stuff that's completely paper thin nonsense that DOES feature Robinson has had me proper belly laughing (
Spoiler alert
The Blues Brothers
[close]
party saving technique)

Yes the Blues Brothers bit was fucking brilliant, and you're absolutely right, it had to be him doing it.

ASFTSN

Minor observation and probably mentioned in series 1 discussion but the little interlude animation sections are really aesthetically pleasing.

Retinend