Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 04:01:23 PM

Login with username, password and session length

I Think You Should Leave with Tim Robinson - Season 2

Started by Bobloblawslawbomb, June 08, 2021, 06:25:00 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dusty Substance

Just watched the third episode of the new season with lunch. Even better than the first two. The final sketch about the safari hat was fantastic.

Rolf Lundgren

Watched the first series the other day and two sketches had me crying with laughter (on stage with the magician and meeting Caleb Went). Can't remember the last time I had to actually pause the television and compose myself before watching again. Looking forward to weaning myself slowly onto the second series as it goes by so fast.

Dusty Substance

Just watched episode four. Due to
Spoiler alert
there being just two sketches in the entire episode
[close]
this one was the strangest of them all.

Blue Jam

Just gave this a go and I think I'm immune to it, sorry. The Bob was good though.

Blue Jam

Watching the one with the Blues Brothers sketch now. Sorry, but IASIP did "jabroni" better.

Retinend

Some sketches had me dying with laughter, and others not so much. Tim Heidecker's persona in series 1 was much funnier than this time around. Little Buff Boys didn't make me laugh at all, in stark contrast with last series' hilarious Baby of The Year sketch. Overall, it was outstanding comedy, but by its own standards, a little bit repetitive. I think Robinson is crazy talented and would be interesting to see in a sitcom setting, hopefully with Connor O'Malley as a quirky housemate.

Dog Botherer

the blues brothers had me and the wife in tears laughing. nearly fell off the chair when the second dog showed up.

agree it's not as tight as the first season but i will continue watching as long as there's a chance of seeing Connor O'Malley onscreen.

Retinend

Quote from: Dusty Substance on July 12, 2021, 10:14:33 PM
Just watched episode four. Due to
Spoiler alert
there being just two sketches in the entire episode
[close]
this one was the strangest of them all.

I loved the "I love my wife" sketch - at its heart the regular formula of "someone does the wrong thing", but it subverts it with some pathos.

"Jimmy Taco keeps saying my lines" - I like how the illogical nature of the problem is just glossed over, and in combination with the music the whole scene of him coming back from amateur dramatics all frustrated and taking it seriously really got me in the feels

"I love my wife - she helped me when I freaked out about Jamie Taco" - I laughed just because it's such a specific conclusion to come to

"he never stays the whole night" - hilarious to me that grow men would have a sleepover like that, but then again it's a cute idea

then there's the Blues Brothers / dog barking sketch - "I'm saving the party, brother!" - and the innapropriate loudness from the bluetooth speaker... if this all leaves you cold then I don't want to know you.

The half-hearted little thumbs up at the end of the sketch.

The final sketch is a bit belaboured, but I like where it ends. It had a Limmy's Show vibe to it.

That's emblematic: two big sketches and one of them didn't really connect - for me.

Just got a big laugh from the tag line on the detective crashmore poster behind the interviewer

"I'm gonna pile all these fuckers up"

Retinend

Blue Jam

Just tried watching this again to see if I'm very very wrong. Still think it's Mr. Show or even Tim and Eric (whom I don't even "get") minus the wit, and just showed up as such when one of the Mr. Show peeps shows up being funny with some not-great material. What was that even about anyway? "I'm rich, and I don't live in a hotel, and I've got triples of the Nova..." bit Partridge?

Limmy? Nah, Limmy doesn't have to gesticulate and shout this much in place of actually being clever and funny. And he can do subtlety.

Also the "Tammy Craps" sketch just really gave me the creeps. Not funny, just plain nasty.

Love The Blue Brothers but was just stony-faced watching that.

Sorry, am I completely alone in this? This does nothing for me at all. I'm feeling like I did when my friends started raving about The Mighty Boosh.

Icehaven

Quote from: Blue Jam on July 14, 2021, 06:27:52 PM
Just tried watching this again to see if I'm very very wrong. Still think it's Mr. Show or even Tim and Eric (whom I don't even "get") minus the wit, and just showed up as such when one of the Mr. Show peeps shows up being funny with some not-great material. What was that even about anyway? "I'm rich, and I don't live in a hotel, and I've got triples of the Nova..." bit Partridge?

Limmy? Nah, Limmy doesn't have to gesticulate and shout this much in place of actually being clever and funny. And he can do subtlety.

Also the "Tammy Craps" sketch just really gave me the creeps. Not funny, just plain nasty.

Love The Blue Brothers but was just stony-faced watching that.

Sorry, am I completely alone in this? This does nothing for me at all. I'm feeling like I did when my friends started raving about The Mighty Boosh.

Well it's not for everyone. I like it immensely when I like it but I'd still say there's a few (usually scatalogical) sketches I think are wasted, but the ones that click more than compensate imo. The Bob bit was him initially fibbing to help the father at the next table convince the daughter of why they shouldn't go for ice cream or something by being the friendly colluding stranger, but then he ran with it and built a whole fantasy life that the father pretty much had to back up or risk his daughter's disbelief. It's not smack the table funny but I liked it a lot as they played it.

Blue Jam

Quote from: icehaven on July 14, 2021, 06:54:27 PM
The Bob bit was him initially fibbing to help the father at the next table convince the daughter of why they shouldn't go for ice cream or something by being the friendly colluding stranger, but then he ran with it and built a whole fantasy life that the father pretty much had to back up or risk his daughter's disbelief.

Oh yes, but I did wonder how much of that was improv, what with The Bob being a massive Partridge fan. And is there even an American car manufacturer which does a model called "Nova"? EDIT: Yes, it looks like Chevrolet did a Nova. Hoping that really was a Linton Travel Tavern shout-out though.

Replies From View

I read this thread title as "I think you should leave him with Tim Robinson" and assumed this would be a reality show about Tony Robinson running a day care centre for boys.

Dusty Substance

Quote from: Blue Jam on July 14, 2021, 06:27:52 PM
Just tried watching this again to see if I'm very very wrong. Still think it's Mr. Show or even Tim and Eric (whom I don't even "get") minus the wit,

It's definitely more Tim and Eric than Mr. Show. Mr. Show is, of course, fucking brilliant but some of the sketches were fairly "traditional" and used a familiar formula which hit certain beats. I'm not a huge fan of Tim and Eric but I can see ITYSLwTR's lineage more to that show than to Mr. Show.

RDRR

I agree a huge part of it is he's just a naturally really really funny guy. Karl Havoc is the hardest I've laughed at anything in a long time, but with anyone else in the suit it might have barely raised a smile. The strange cadence and syntax of his speech is a big part of it, reminds me of really enjoying reading bits of Achewood without ever really having a clue what was going on. Some of the other cast members I haven't found funny at all, not sure if that's why their sketches fall flat for me, or if they just got worse sketches.

I never 'got' Limmy, so suppose it works both ways. Though I would also argue that at its best the raw material in ITYSL is a lot funnier than anything in Limmy's Show, whatever that means. Also Tim Robinson seems to be a genuinely lovely guy with sick skateboarding skills, so he's just better I would argue.

Dusty Substance

Quote from: RDRR on July 15, 2021, 10:59:02 AM
I agree a huge part of it is he's just a naturally really really funny guy.

True. Without wishing to appear rude, he's kind of an odd looking guy too. Wouldn't be surprised to see him playing some sort of a creep in a film one day.

Goldentony

Adored this TBH. The hole of Coffin Flop man, just amazing isnt it, the concept, the execution and the finish of

GO AHEAD, PULL THE PLUG, AHHH KEEEEL YOU

I dunno if there's much to get, but some of it reminds me of posts here in the Peter's Mad Thoughts thread. It all feels like a bloke finally just being able to go hard on every stupid idea he's ever had. Think I remember reading series 1 is a lot of things rejected by SNL which makes sense, and I think even with the longer sketches the short runtime is helping keep it under control. I dunno, i'm into the length of the series. Can absolutely see why some people CBA with yelling Americans though, and theres a pattern emerging but aye, hoping this just continues for a while and is allowed to get stupider and funnier.

Blue Jam

Quote from: Dusty Substance on July 15, 2021, 09:02:11 PM
True. Without wishing to appear rude, he's kind of an odd looking guy too. Wouldn't be surprised to see him playing some sort of a creep in a film one day.

Now you mention it he'd probably be a good choice to play Mark Zuckerberg.

veletision

Remake of Dr Strangelove with Tim in the George C Scott role.

It's uncanny.

--------------------

(And James Corden playing all the Peter Sellers parts)

Dusty Substance

Quote from: veletision on July 15, 2021, 11:02:44 PM
Remake of Dr Strangelove with Tim in the George C Scott role.

It's uncanny.

Good grief, he really does look like him. Hadn't considered that previously, thinking he reminded me of *someone*, but couldn't place who. Kept thinking he looked like someone from a Lars Von Trier film.

SteveDave

My current obsession with this odd looking fellow has lead me to download "Detroiters"

I fucking love it.

wooders1978

Buff boys felt like it was a bit of studio pressure to have a follow up to "baby of the year" this season - flopped

Thought both rounds of heidecker were great - odenkirk, great - overall these are excellent, just wish they were 30 mins per ep