Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 08:51:35 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Football Thread 2021/22: pre-seasons in the abyss

Started by sevendaughters, June 08, 2021, 10:22:01 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

JamesTC

Bets on them only referring to him as "the former Real Madrid manager" in the announcement article on the Everton website.

Shoulders?-Stomach!

Everton, the new slobhouse for semi-retired mercenary European managers.

Chedney Honks

It's great that I can now add Everton to the list of teams I want to see lose, their fans get upset and their players get injured. I complete my collection 😂😂😂. True Neutral.

Kankurette

Quote from: Chedney Honks on June 26, 2021, 04:58:29 PM
It's great that I can now add Everton to the list of teams I want to see lose, their fans get upset and their players get injured. I complete my collection 😂😂😂. True Neutral.
You're in luck btw, it's already happened. Lucas Digne. All we need is for Richarlison to die of COVID.

Being serious, I can't be arsed hating Rafa over something he said ages ago. Mourinho slagged Spurs off way back when and ended up managing them. I know the logical thing to do would be to change teams but nah.

JamesTC

He's a bluenose.

The situation with Mourinho and Spurs is different. Bluenoses hounded one manager for having red on his Christmas tree.

Kankurette

I remember that. I'm not sure if it was a joke or not but Everton Twitter is weird. Like the guy who cornered Silva in a restaurant and took a selfie with him and posted it on Twitter after he got sacked. I'm sure they'll all be crying into their Duncan Ferguson hugpillows.

Oddly none of the blues I know in real life are upset about Benitez.

monkfromhavana

I was sad to see Amadou "20 goals" Bakayoko leave Coventry, but glad to see he's got a new club with Bolton. A fantastic guy, and along with Max Biamou, a modern day cult hero for the Sky Blues.

Weird the way that these slightly below average footballers worm their way into your affections, isn't it?

Kankurette

I always had a soft spot for Atdhe Nuhiu. I miss his big friendly face.

monkfromhavana

Quote from: Kankurette on June 27, 2021, 12:15:36 AM
I always had a soft spot for Atdhe Nuhiu. I miss his big friendly face.

Had to Google him. 40 goals in 242 games is some going for a centre forward.

Kankurette

EOLAN

Quote from: JamesTC on June 26, 2021, 05:57:46 PM
He's a bluenose.

The situation with Mourinho and Spurs is different. Bluenoses hounded one manager for having red on his Christmas tree.

Isn't bluenose commonly used to refer to Birmingham City or Glasgow Rangers. Never hear it about the Toffees outside of here.

Bernice

Kankurette

Yep. In my experience it either means an Everton fan or a Birmingham City fan, although the term used for us more commonly is 'bitters'. (Wednesday fans are 'pigs', which is bullshit because everyone knows that it is Sheffield United who are the real pigs.)

Speaking of derogatory names for fans, I found out a while back that 'rag' is a nickname for Man United fans. I was disappointed to learn that 'rag' is not a reference to their kits looking like they were covered in period blood.

peanutbutter

Quote from: Mobius on June 24, 2021, 11:50:34 PM
It's still mental that 50 mill is like a normal transfer fee now. I suppose slabhead cost Utd 80mill and that was years ago.
It's slowly transferring to players on the top level just sitting out their contracts and getting some (not all) of what would be the transfer fee added to their wages, isn't it?

Kankurette

I was being somewhat sarcastic when I wrote that. There are Everton fans who have threatened to stop supporting Everton altogether if Rafa manages us, like that douche off Talksport. Every season when a bad thing happens you always get cranks who say they've been a blue since Catterick was in charge, they have a season ticket, yada yada but they're never going to watch Everton again, this is the last straw.

BlodwynPig

DrGreggles

"We don't want him as our manager because he's been successful elsewhere."

imitationleather

Just like Spurs with Chelsea, I expect Everton will only employ former Liverpool managers from now on.

Kankurette

Quote from: DrGreggles on June 28, 2021, 08:35:18 AM
"We don't want him as our manager because he's been successful elsewhere."
It's not that, it's because he managed our rivals. And because he called Everton a small club once. Him managing us would be the absolute nadir of Everton's career and it would be far better for us to get relegated under Duncan Ferguson than it would be to stay up with Rafa (no, I do not think this).

sevendaughters

fans' obsession with the small club/big club thing is proper unintentional Father Dougal shit

Ted-Maul

But there MUST be another manager out there who can do what the club needs whilst not being so closely associated with our most hated rivals. Even saying his name conjures images of Liverpool being successful and their fans still love him... It's too much to take, another humiliation for our fanbase to endure.

This is Moshiri's version of joining the European Super League... he wasn't invited to that little shitshow but is adamant on doing something massive against the fans wishes.

As kankurette suggests, its probably not all fans who feel like this, but I'm having a strong visceral reaction against this appointment. It's silly, it's just a game I know, but still...

Like isn't it enough that the fans don't want it to happen? Don't they count for anything anymore?

king_tubby

Everton could win the Champions League 2-1 and their fans would complain about not keeping a clean sheet.

And then report Gary Neville to the police for looking at them.

JamesTC

The bluenose who put up a threatening banner near where Rafa and his family live has done a good job in getting a decent number of bluenoses in backing Rafa as manager.

DrGreggles

Quote from: Kankurette on June 28, 2021, 09:47:45 AM
It's not that, it's because he managed our rivals. And because he called Everton a small club once. Him managing us would be the absolute nadir of Everton's career and it would be far better for us to get relegated under Duncan Ferguson than it would be to stay up with Rafa (no, I do not think this).

He said "small" because he was still learning English and meant "teams lower down the league", which Everton were.
Although Everton fans still using that as a stick to beat him with 15 years later suggests he may have been right...

Bernice

Wonderful Butternut

lankyguy95

If they were going to do it, Everton should have got it done last week. The longer it went on, the more the flames were going to be stoked.