Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 25, 2024, 10:53:56 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Football Thread 2021/22: pre-seasons in the abyss

Started by sevendaughters, June 08, 2021, 10:22:01 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

finnquark

Kenny is gone anyway, he nearly said as much in his last interview, I think after Azerbaijan. Sam Allardyce and/or Lee Carsley next up.

Wonderful Butternut

The FAI can't afford Allardyce and I don't imagine Carsley to be in a hurry to leave the England U21s to come here when FAI previously turned their noses up at him when he asked to be involved in the youth setup.

Wonderful Butternut

Lol the Aviva Stadium announcer tried to credit a blatant Serbian OG to Shane Duffy.

finnquark

Saw a few shouts for Jim McGuinness to get it.

the hum

Scotland are the new Ireland. How did that Austria ever take Italy to extra time?

Was a fun evening's entertainment, apart from the nerves as every chance to make it 2-0 went begging. Enjoyed the Austrian keeper booting the turf instead of the ball, and performing some sort of bizarre gymnastic manoeuvre to avoid falling flat on his face, and Arnautovic is quite the pantomime villain.

the hum

And after finding myself wailing about our continued defensive frailties during the summer, great to see the back line putting in that shift.

NattyDread 2

Quote from: Clatty McCutcheon on September 07, 2021, 09:53:26 PM
Was a fun evening's entertainment, apart from the nerves

Yep. It would be a weird important Scotland game without the butterflies and the squeaky arse for the last few minutes. Felt a bit sorry for the Austrian lads getting pelters from their fans. Superb result.

jamiefairlie

Second place in our hands now, Israel and Faeros in October, win those and we're good. Denmark in the last game when they'll be qualified.

the hum

Quote from: Clatty McCutcheon on September 07, 2021, 09:53:26 PM
Was a fun evening's entertainment, apart from the nerves as every chance to make it 2-0 went begging.

Apparently Scotland and Austria are about the two most profligate teams amongst the European nations right now, so not a great surprise it came down to a penalty. Mind you we've been profligate ever since Dalglish retired.

Jockice

badaids

Love the Poles, wouldn't mind at all if they gave us a good thrashing to be honest.

jamiefairlie

Quote from: badaids on September 08, 2021, 07:51:08 PM
Love the Poles, wouldn't mind at all if they gave us a good thrashing to be honest.

Happy memories and one of my first football related ones. My dad was Polish so we had double joy.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_TO2jd3VO8w

badaids

Quote from: jamiefairlie on September 08, 2021, 07:59:48 PM
Happy memories and one of my first football related ones. My dad was Polish so we had double joy.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_TO2jd3VO8w

I've been lucky enough to count a faire few Poles as friends, hard to find a more decent and generous people, but fierce (in a good way) too.  Also known many Polish war veterans who are always totally humble and pragmatic in spite of the terrible treatment and sadness suffered at the hands of the Germans, Russians, and the Allies.

Inspector Norse

Extraordinary really that Kyle Walker has won several Premier League titles and domestic cups, has reached the final of the Champions League and European Championship, and has won over 60 caps for England despite never having learned to pass a football

imitationleather

Apparently Glick told Harry Maguire to piss off back to Easter Island.

Inspector Norse

Kamil Glik seems like the kind of guy who knocks your table in the pub as he walks past then starts shoving you and going "what you fuckin lookin at" if you glance at him

imitationleather

Kankurette

Quote from: Inspector Norse on September 08, 2021, 08:29:20 PM
Extraordinary really that Kyle Walker has won several Premier League titles and domestic cups, has reached the final of the Champions League and European Championship, and has won over 60 caps for England despite never having learned to pass a football
Phil Jones also played for England. Just saying.

Lithuania getting walloped by Italy 5-0 and it's only half time.

Inspector Norse

My internet decided to freeze up just as someone was passing to Kane outside the box. What happened next? Did Kalvin Phillips get the ball and pause for a minute before passing back to the defenders, as has happened for the other 74 minutes of the game?

Inspector Norse

Poland's gameplan appears to have been "run around and throw yourself into tackles as much as you can for the first half and if it doesn't work and you're totally knackered for the second well at least you had a go of it eh"

Kankurette

Harry Badger

Another great moment in Scottish footballing history.

Inspector Norse

England now need to take 6 points off San Marino and Andorra if they want to qualify. It's going to be really tricky.

Cuellar

Echo Valley 2-6809

A clean sheet against Estonia? I'll take that. People forget just how far ahead of us they are in the alphabet.

phantom_power

What has Southgate got against substitutions? It was obvious England were on the back foot for the last 10 minutes. At the very least it wastes some time and breaks up momentum but some fresh legs might have seen the game out a bit better. It is a mistake he seems to keep making

phes

Probably should just let him do his no transfers thing given what happened in European Final

phantom_power

What, the final in which we didn't make substitutions quick enough and ended up paying for it? He should probably just get better at making substitutions

Inspector Norse

Quote from: imitationleather on September 08, 2021, 08:38:08 PM
Apparently Glick told Harry Maguire to piss off back to Easter Island.

Nope, turns out he's just your common or garden massive racist (allegedly)