Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 25, 2024, 09:13:41 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Football Thread 2021/22: pre-seasons in the abyss

Started by sevendaughters, June 08, 2021, 10:22:01 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

bgmnts

Quote from: mr. logic on October 09, 2021, 03:56:09 PM
Because it's a recreational activity?

That people seem to get so emotionally and financially invested in it severely impacts their lives?

kalowski

I can't go because of my COVID, but sounds like Alty just scored!

mr. logic

Quote from: bgmnts on October 09, 2021, 04:16:37 PM
That people seem to get so emotionally and financially invested in it severely impacts their lives?

Well, yes, in some cases maybe. But the reason I don't do the thing you suggested is because I just like to watch football and sometimes talk about it. I suspect I'm in the majority.

bgmnts

Quote from: mr. logic on October 09, 2021, 04:31:33 PM
Well, yes, in some cases maybe. But the reason I don't do the thing you suggested is because I just like to watch football and sometimes talk about it. I suspect I'm in the majority.

Okay well I suppose i'm talking about a huge amount of football supporters who live and die for their club weirdos.

Plus there are plenty of fan owned clubs or majority stakeholder clubs in lower leagues I think, I mean the millions of fans of the big clubs who could chip in a tenner every month and fund the club.

monkfromhavana

Shoulders?-Stomach!

Kankurette

Newcastle's biggest triumph these days is beating Everton twice, for fuck's sake.
Quote from: bgmnts on October 09, 2021, 03:38:29 PM
What's very weird about football is the fact that so many peoole spend most of their disposable income on season tickets and travel and merchandise to pay for their over paid milionare cunts but they dont actually divvy up and pool it all together to own the clubs themselves.

Why is this?
Can they afford to in the long run? And also, are they really capable? I couldn't run Everton or Wednesday. And given the shite some of our fans talk, I doubt they'd do a better job than Kenwright or Moshiri.

Rizla

the hum

Outstanding second half after a right bombscare first (aside from McGinn's well worked goal), and can we please, please not have to play fucking Israel again.

bgmnts

Quote from: Kankurette on October 09, 2021, 06:22:39 PM
Newcastle's biggest triumph these days is beating Everton twice, for fuck's sake.Can they afford to in the long run? And also, are they really capable? I couldn't run Everton or Wednesday. And given the shite some of our fans talk, I doubt they'd do a better job than Kenwright or Moshiri.

I mean the amount a lot of die hard fans spend going on away trips to europe and the inflated ticket prices I'm sure they could. Hardly a working class sport anymore is it.

Dont even think you'd have to run the club as such, i presume most fan run clubs appoint a committee and cast a few votes and such. Cant imagine it's a day job.

bgmnts

I reckon if you explained that idea to most fans they'd say yeah it's good. Until some right wing grift cunt says it's cultural marxism and then they'll think it's bad because reasons.

This is why positive authoritarianism is the answer. If football teaches us anything, it's that humans are mostly cattle and need to be steered in the right right direction.

DrGreggles

dr beat

Quote from: bgmnts on October 09, 2021, 08:21:20 PM

This is why positive authoritarianism is the answer. If football teaches us anything, it's that humans are mostly cattle and need to be steered in the right right direction.

No I'm not letting this go. I'm a Scouse Red.

Bernice

I reckon if you explained that idea to most fans they'd say yeah it's good. Until some right wing grift cunt says it's cultural marxism and then they'll think it's bad because reasons.

What a dreadful conclusion to draw from a scenario you imagined.

phantom_power

Yeah the more likely alternative is that it is a very complicated thing to organise with lots of work and money spent that would potentially go nowhere, even if it were feasible, which in a lot of cases it probably isn't, rather than people being morons and sheep

Chedney Honks

Although the latter is also true. Most people are morons.

phantom_power

What an original, iconoclastic and well thought-out opinion that is for someone on an internet forum to have

Kankurette

The football industry would need a massive overhaul, and I can't imagine the likes of FSG or Abramovitch being willing to let their playthings go. I think there's one club - Exeter? - where fans do have some input but that's it.

I'm just going to refer you to what Dr Beat said (on the other side of the football divide to him, but he's got a point).

On another note, I'm rereading High Fidelity and it reminds me of a conversation I had with other women fans in This Fan Girl Chat where we were all talking about having to prove that we're real football fans and not just watching the game because we want to shag David Beckham[nb]He's cute, but not my type. I'm more of an Iker Casillas woman.[/nb] or whatever. Like one Arsenal fan being asked to name all the Invincibles squad by one guy when he heard she was a fan, or me being told, "I bet your first manager was Martinez[nb]It was Joe Royle.[/nb]" or in general, men seeing women at a game and assuming they're not interested. I know not all male fans are like that, but why do female fans have to undergo tests? I mean, I could easily name, IDK, ten Everton players at the drop of a hat but why should I have to? I don't see a man in an Everton shirt and tell him to name all of Harry Catterick's cup-winning squad.

bgmnts

I mean, that IS what would happen. Sorry you all don't like it :/

finnquark

Quote from: kalowski on October 09, 2021, 04:16:49 PM
I can't go because of my COVID, but sounds like Alty just scored!

Swept aside a decent enough side in front of 2000 fans, win on Tuesday at Yeovil and we go 5th. Exciting times! Get well soon with the COVID.

Chedney Honks

Quote from: phantom_power on October 10, 2021, 11:03:47 AM
What an original, iconoclastic and well thought-out opinion that is for someone on an internet forum to have

Cry more kid

Bernice

I think if you asked most football fans, they would tell you that Scarface is a good film.

This is why I am calling for an enlightened holocaust. If football teaches us anything, it is that philistines outnumber us.

phantom_power

Quote from: Chedney Honks on October 10, 2021, 11:55:30 AM
Cry more kid

I know this is your whole thing but have you every thought it might not be a very good thing?

Inspector Norse

Did nobody else watch England's THRILLING 5-0 victory at Andorra yesterday? Was quite nice to watch an England away game where they weren't getting pelted by racist cavemen for 90 minutes.

Chedney Honks

Quote from: phantom_power on October 10, 2021, 12:24:15 PM
I know this is your whole thing but have you every thought it might not be a very good thing?

I don't care at all about your opinion. You tried to start an argument and I shut you down. Now you're trying to insult me because you got shut down. Go and have your lunch.

kalowski

Quote from: finnquark on October 10, 2021, 11:27:03 AM
Swept aside a decent enough side in front of 2000 fans, win on Tuesday at Yeovil and we go 5th. Exciting times! Get well soon with the COVID.
We're flying at the moment! Long may it continue.