Author Topic: Football Thread 2021/22: pre-seasons in the abyss  (Read 75340 times)

kalowski

• Maclunkey
Re: Football Thread 2021/22: pre-seasons in the abyss
« Reply #2220 on: October 12, 2021, 08:16:24 PM »
Kane's little dive there was in the "embarrassing zone".

« Reply #2221 on: October 12, 2021, 09:02:19 PM »
Few Hungars acting the cunt down Wembley way it seems. Hope some of their boo boys, homophobes and monkey noise cunts end up on a ward tonight after a fucking good hiding at the hands of England's finest defenders of equality and opportunities for all. The only goulash you'll be getting tonight lads will be through a fucking tube.

« Reply #2222 on: October 12, 2021, 09:07:02 PM »
Few Hungars acting the cunt down Wembley way it seems. Hope some of their boo boys, homophobes and monkey noise cunts end up on a ward tonight after a fucking good hiding at the hands of England's finest defenders of equality and opportunities for all. The only goulash you'll be getting tonight lads will be through a fucking tube.

Sounds more like bosom buddy material than enemies

chveik

• crazy bit of business
« Reply #2223 on: October 12, 2021, 09:13:01 PM »
lol scotland seemingly struggling to beat the mighty faroeans

Rizla

• That's not another knife - THIS is another knife!
« Reply #2224 on: October 12, 2021, 09:13:24 PM »
Wtf Scotland, don’t do this you cunts. And all goalscoring hopes resting on Nisbet for the Moldova game. Lord above.

« Reply #2225 on: October 12, 2021, 09:18:13 PM »
Gareth's won the lads over. These days, every one of them down The Den and the Bridge is reading the Commie Manifesto, Maya Angelou and Germaine Greers. We'll still give anyone a fucking good hiding but the boys reserve a particularly medieval fury for misogynists, racists and transphobes, and moreso if they're foreigners and all. Let's introduce our backwards brethren to Captain Stanley and give them a souvenir they can wear with pride, like Conrad Veidt. You don't racially abuse our stewards and enjoy plain sailing back to your twig and bird shit International phone card shop hovel.

Gurke and Hare

• Fold water. Roll into small cubes.
« Reply #2226 on: October 12, 2021, 09:22:37 PM »
Gareth's won the lads over. These days, every one of them down The Den and the Bridge is reading the Commie Manifesto, Maya Angelou and Germaine Greers. We'll still give anyone a fucking good hiding but the boys reserve a particularly medieval fury for misogynists, racists and transphobes, and moreso if they're foreigners and all. Let's introduce our backwards brethren to Captain Stanley and give them a souvenir they can wear with pride, like Conrad Veidt. You don't racially abuse our stewards and enjoy plain sailing back to your twig and bird shit International phone card shop hovel.

That's just the ones who bought tickets, you forget that the barbarians are still at the gate.

monkfromhavana

• Top one, nice one, get sorted
« Reply #2227 on: October 13, 2021, 07:59:03 AM »
I see that Steven Lawless has been released by Motherwell, and can't help but feel like the last line of the BBC story was a bit unnecessary.

Motherwell have only lost once in six games since Lawless dropped out of the picture.

Inspector Norse

• Very much the Myspace of STDs
« Reply #2228 on: October 13, 2021, 09:12:02 AM »
Took my son to Sweden v Greece last night. Sweden were utter toss but won 2-0 and could pip Spain to World Cup qualification.

Most interesting thing about the game was the presence, at the Swedish national stadium in a Stockholm suburb, of a hoarding advertising STEVE PERRYMAN SPORT TRAVEL.

JamesTC

• Helms calls for donut tax
« Reply #2230 on: October 13, 2021, 11:30:35 AM »
They beheaded the thread title.

Gurke and Hare

• Fold water. Roll into small cubes.
« Reply #2231 on: October 13, 2021, 11:44:45 AM »
Man, Barry Glendenning though. It really is solid cunts all the way down.

« Reply #2232 on: October 13, 2021, 02:14:45 PM »
Like David Squires doesn't mercilessly rip the piss out of other clubs. I find his Everton strips hilarious. And also? He's right. And this isn't the first serious strip he's done either (like the Maradona one, or some of the ones paying tribute to players/managers - if you're an Everton fan and you haven't seen the Kendall one, check it out, it is the most heartwarming thing ever).

SpiderChrist

• Be still, Taggart
« Reply #2233 on: October 13, 2021, 05:06:56 PM »
Speaking to a Toon supporting friend and his main emotion is relief that Ashley's gone and that Steve Bruce may soon follow him out the door. He's not at all happy with the new owners.

« Reply #2234 on: October 13, 2021, 05:42:18 PM »
Tickets a fiver at Deepdale with all proceeds going to charities for saturdays relegation six pointer.
Great effort from the club to get a full house to pay respect to Trevor.

« Reply #2235 on: October 13, 2021, 06:30:48 PM »
Speaking to a Toon supporting friend and his main emotion is relief that Ashley's gone and that Steve Bruce may soon follow him out the door. He's not at all happy with the new owners.
Stepdad has Geordie friend who feels the same. Hates Ashley but isn’t happy about the new owners.

I wonder if Newcastle are going to end up as a Sky Big 6 club now.

imitationleather

• "The French... are famous... for their kissing"
    • http://last.fm/user/ImiLeathr
« Reply #2236 on: October 13, 2021, 07:11:42 PM »
I'm going to Newcastle v Spurs this weekend. First in-person match for bladdy ages for me.

I'm going as a Spurs fan, by the way. I've not jumped ship already.

Lost Oliver

• Me and My
  • Silver Member
  • Not while she's got Medicine Head on the phone
« Reply #2237 on: October 13, 2021, 08:58:37 PM »
Man, Barry Glendenning though. It really is solid cunts all the way down.

He really annoys me too. I wish he wasn't on the Football Weekly pod. I can't quite explain why he annoys me so much.

« Reply #2238 on: October 13, 2021, 09:48:06 PM »
Is it because he is a complete cunt perhaps?

bgmnts

• Depressed to the point of poisonous toxicity.
« Reply #2239 on: October 13, 2021, 09:55:38 PM »
https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/58903956

24 mind which is nuts but I think he'll be alright.

« Reply #2240 on: October 14, 2021, 10:27:05 AM »
I’m going my first non-league game. FC United of Manchester v Grantham Town, who are terrible but their manager is Carlton Palmer, so partly going for Wednesday nostalgia.

Blinder Data

• Use your library
« Reply #2241 on: October 14, 2021, 11:02:18 AM »
Is it because he is a complete cunt perhaps?

I find him annoying occasionally but what makes you say that?

« Reply #2242 on: October 14, 2021, 02:38:09 PM »
Rafa going back to Newcastle would be the most Everton thing ever since Carlo Ancelotti went 'right, off to Madrid now kthxbai'.

Ted-Maul

• Green is the colour of mercy
« Reply #2243 on: October 14, 2021, 02:43:51 PM »
I’m going my first non-league game. FC United of Manchester v Grantham Town, who are terrible but their manager is Carlton Palmer, so partly going for Wednesday nostalgia.

I hope you enjoy it! I was having second thoughts about recommending non-league on here because the facilites at some places are pretty dreadful and that side of it may not be for everyone. But Broadhurst Park looks amazing, surely the gold standard of what can be achieved at this level. I think FC United in general are the role model for what new clubs like City of Liverpool would like to try and do... even in spite of the Liverpool/Manchester thing. We had a patch of toxic wasteground earmarked for a new ground in Fazakerley but the corrupt Liverpool Council's Planning Department have refused to lift a finger without their bung so we've ended up playing in Ellesmere Port (at Vauxhall Motors) its a joke.

I went to watch usl play Newcastle Town in August and they had Robin Van der Laan as their manager and all i could think about was how many of these feckin' things i had in my deck back in the day:

finnquark

• come un sogno che va via, ti svegli triste
« Reply #2244 on: October 14, 2021, 03:26:55 PM »

Grantham seem to be struggling these days, they were fighting for the NPL title when Alty stooped to that level. Hope you enjoy! FC seem to have found their level these days after a few years in the Conference North.

kalowski

• Maclunkey
« Reply #2245 on: October 14, 2021, 03:35:56 PM »
I've met Neil Reynolds, manager of FC United. Really decent bloke. I always want FC United to do well because if him.

« Reply #2246 on: October 14, 2021, 03:43:20 PM »
I listen to the Totally Football shows rather than the Football Weekly, but only really enjoy the European edition because there are a few guests who get on my wick on the Premier League edition. There's a new regular guy who always says 'whereby' willy nilly. Think Gary Neville brought that in. The European edition is nicer company - football politics aside - and keeps me up to speed with the latest continental goals and gaffs.

Does anyone listen to the Football Cliches podcast? Reservations first: I don't enjoy it when they have Jack Pitt-Brooke or Michael Cox on, the guest episodes can be a chore, and sometimes they get things wrong like not knowing what having a shot in anger means, but I enjoy the normal episodes, especially since David Walker became a regular. He was the sound editor, or director of the podcast or something, turned up for one episode and stuck around.

On one episode he brought in his favourite commentary, Jonathan Pearce's radio commentary for England Holland at Euro 96. Don't know if most people here have already heard this: A L Super Al Super Alan Shearer; that wasn't a bus ride late, that was a horse drawn carriage late, get your flaming yellow card out referee and take his name for goodness sake; The Dutch weren't ready, the defense was unsteady, and there was good old Teddy, and toast tonight with a glass of sheeerrrrryyy! England 2! Holland 0! Edwin van der Sar, pick it out of the old onion bag etc. Only seems to exist in this version with Three Lions in the background:

3 lions, capital gold, Jonathan Pearce version from Euro 96

They found the Alan Hansen and Jimmy Hill commentary used at the beginning of the non-Capital Gold version of Three Lions recently. It was from Nottingham Forest going out of Europe. Still looking for the Trevor Brooking bit.

Also found myself enjoying the interview with Clive Tyldesley on the commentary episode. Possible deso.
« Last Edit: October 14, 2021, 05:03:39 PM by Smeraldina Rima »

DrGreggles

• [something funny]
« Reply #2247 on: October 14, 2021, 04:22:57 PM »
Going to my first match since February 2020 on Saturday: Cambridge vs Ipswich.

« Reply #2248 on: October 14, 2021, 04:35:41 PM »
I'm onto my 6th FA Cup game

Silsden 0 Eccleshill 4
Avro 1 Runcorn Linnets 1
Matlock Town 0 Belper Town 3
Halesowen 1 Handsworth 3
Stratford Town 3 Long Eaton United 2
this weekend - Banbury United vs Bath City

would have done Notts County if they'd have been at home, finishing this adventure with a team that had won the thing would have been nice.

« Reply #2249 on: October 14, 2021, 05:33:38 PM »
Especially since I decided to sack off going to watch Man United at Old Trafford (I used to go with a friend, but he became a father and it seemed like the excuse we both needed to knock it on the head), I've been meaning to check out a Workington game whenever they were near Manchester - Glossop or Buxton, for example. As a teenager, I used to go watch them with friends as it was only a little bit by train away and they'd serve us pints of beer in the bar. Something football at that level has is a sense of familiarity between the fans and the staff/team: I always remember Derek Mountfield thanking me for some encouraging remarks after he shanked the ball over the stand - though I imagine players who have title/European medals rarely drop down to that level anymore.

Tags: