Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 25, 2024, 07:01:03 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Football Thread 2021/22: pre-seasons in the abyss

Started by sevendaughters, June 08, 2021, 10:22:01 PM

Previous topic - Next topic
Robbie Savage rocked up for Stockport a few years back.

You're more likely to get players with unexpected international appearances - Halesowen have the one-time Somalian national team captain for example. Halesowen was an un-expected gem of a day out, to be honest.

If I lived back in Manchester, I'd be tempted to follow something like NPL Division 1 West - 12 teams in and around the M62 between Manchester and Liverpool.

sevendaughters

I've done quite a lot of the NW grounds between NPL and North West Counties First level. Some crackers there, really. Mossley always a pleasure. Buxton too.

The Culture Bunker

Quote from: A Hat Like That on October 14, 2021, 06:17:49 PMIf I lived back in Manchester, I'd be tempted to follow something like NPL Division 1 West - 12 teams in and around the M62 between Manchester and Liverpool.
It's hard to motivate myself to watch much football these days without an emotional connection - Workington may be jameaters, but they're still West Cumbrian like myself, so there's that going for stepping out to see them play.

I did see a couple of FC United games when they were at Gigg Lane, but it just didn't click with me.

finnquark

Quote from: A Hat Like That on October 14, 2021, 06:17:49 PM
You're more likely to get players with unexpected international appearances - Halesowen have the one-time Somalian national team captain for example. Halesowen was an un-expected gem of a day out, to be honest.

Alty signed Dean Furman this season - 58 caps for South Africa (including as captain at the 2015 African Cup of Nations), 4 goals and the nickname 'mlungu' ('white person'). Not sure we've had a player with more caps and he's only 33, so not quite in the knackers' yard.

TrenterPercenter

Got myself a ticket to the villa game tomorrow against Wolves so a derby of sorts. 

This means Villa are nailed on to lose.  So enjoy villa haters!

Kankurette

Ah, Villa will be fine.

I'm looking forward to going to a non-league ground. It's like watching a gig in a tiny pub. City are playing tomorrow BUT the FC United stadium is on a different route to the Etihad so hopefully the trams won't be rammed, and IIRC I won't have to change in town as it's on the Rochdale line and the Rochdale tram is direct from where I live. And it's a straight walk to the stadium.

Someone mentioned Cambridge and I've seen them a few times as they were my parents' local team before they moved to Chester - bastards never won, though. Mum went to matches where they did, and she was at the playoff final too, and said they played I've Got a Lovely Bunch of Coconuts whenever they won. There's a Cambridge fan site called 100 Years of Coconuts and everything. To date, I have never seen someone pull off the Chip in a Skip.

ETA: Robin van der Laan! That's a name I've not heard in a while. I remember him when he was at Derby.

king_tubby

He didn't play much for Derby but he was in Jim Smith's squad that got promoted to the Prem and then did alright for a couple of years.

Kankurette

That's where I remember him from. The Jim Smith period.

Shoulders?-Stomach!

imitationleather

Poch has had his head turned by the Newcastle job clearly.

chveik

getting schooled by middle of the road french managers

imitationleather

buttgammon

Spotted: Big Sam installing French Duolingo while stuffing a wad of euros in his inside pocket.

Kankurette

holyzombiejesus

Quote from: king_tubby on October 15, 2021, 08:42:06 PM
He didn't play much for Derby but he was in Jim Smith's squad that got promoted to the Prem and then did alright for a couple of years.

'We' (Port Vale, well, John Rudge really) sold him to you for half a million + Lee Mills, and then sold Lee Mills for a million to Bradford. God, I love John Rudge. It was so funny when we had Vanders, he was just a massive womanising pisshead, often seen out in Newcastle shitfaced on a Thursday night but would then absolutely boss games a day and a half later. The club were so proud to have signed him, you could buy RvdL jigsaws in the Port Vale portakabin club shop. "Who need Cantona, when we've got Van Der Laan..."

Through work I had to have a couple of meetings with FC United a few years ago and whilst I had previously dismissed them as a non-league version of their wanky glory-hunting fans previous club, I came away so full of admiration for them. The stuff they were doing - football sessions for refugees, dementia sufferers, free breakfasts for the whole community, pay-what-you-can season tickets - was so great. Seems to have dropped off a bit now, whether because finances are a bit tighter or the old community guy left (for Ashton?), but I was so impressed.

I wish we had a non-league thread. I'd much prefer to hear about Altrincham than some cunty premiership team.

Looking forward to seeing Whitehead play, Finnquark? Been training with our under 18s since last season so may take a while to come up to speed.

Shoulders?-Stomach!

monkfromhavana

Quote from: A Hat Like That on October 14, 2021, 06:17:49 PM
Robbie Savage rocked up for Stockport a few years back.

If I lived back in Manchester, I'd be tempted to follow something like NPL Division 1 West - 12 teams in and around the M62 between Manchester and Liverpool.

My local non-league team - Bedworth United - have had an ex-New Zealand international at the back for about the past 10 years, with the line lead by Jorrin John whose prior stop to joining Bedworth was the Cambodian Premier League and has 9 caps for Antigua & Barbuda.

Quote from: holyzombiejesus on October 15, 2021, 10:32:08 PM

I wish we had a non-league thread. I'd much prefer to hear about Altrincham than some cunty premiership team.

Ditto, though I'd prefer it to be Championship down.

JamesTC

Quote"Marcus has done some remarkable and fantastic things," added Solskjaer as Rashford prepares to return from the shoulder operation he had following Euro 2020.

"But now he maybe needs to prioritise his football."

He is insinuating that supporting people in poverty going forward may somehow impact on his football? For our xenophobic pundits to say it, it is one thing. For a manager to say it, it is another. What an absolute shit he is. Should Rashford instead spend his time helping rapists escape justice like a certain other individual did?

The prick is just giving more reasons for the media, England fans and United fans to pile on him after any bad performance.

bgmnts

Yeah sorry Solskjaer but fuck right off you little gollum cunt.

The Culture Bunker

Solskjaer needs Rashford back to his form of a couple of seasons ago - that's his own personal priority, otherwise he'll be sacked by the end of the season. Clumsy comments, no doubt, but I think it shows he's beginning to feel some pressure: Leicester today is a tough game, we've got Liverpool next week, then Spurs and Man City, with Chelsea soon after. By the end of that run, his number may be close to being called, esp if there's a couple of duff European results added into the mess.

Seems a ridiculous thing to say, but the United owners have shown frequently they're prone to knee-jerk reactions.

finnquark

Quote from: holyzombiejesus on October 15, 2021, 10:32:08 PM
Looking forward to seeing Whitehead play, Finnquark? Been training with our under 18s since last season so may take a while to come up to speed.

Odd signing from our end, as we've got 3 quality CMs already (Furman, Jake Moult, and former Rotherham man Ben Pringle, who has been absolute class for us). Why did Whitehead fall out of favour with Clarke? He's got experience at Conference level, so a good addition on paper and we did fall away last season due to a lack of squad depth. Off to Southport in the Cup this afternoon; let's see if Whitehead is involved

Inspector Norse

Quote from: finnquark on October 14, 2021, 06:59:18 PM
Alty signed Dean Furman this season - 58 caps for South Africa (including as captain at the 2015 African Cup of Nations), 4 goals and the nickname 'mlungu' ('white person'). Not sure we've had a player with more caps and he's only 33, so not quite in the knackers' yard.

He was very good for Oldham in League One ten years ago, should definitely be up to it at NL level still.

imitationleather

imitationleather

Lovely shot of Barry Davies and John Motson blanking each other.

Both thinking, "Oh Christ why have they sat me next to him?"

Kankurette

Rashford's ability on the pitch has nothing to do with his charity work. Disappointing to see Solskjær parroting that Tory crap.

imitationleather

Wow. Watford are playing even worse than Spurs!

Thursday

How Ranieri managed to win the league with Leicester will remain one of the great mysteries of our time.

chveik

Quote from: The Culture Bunker on October 16, 2021, 11:18:46 AM
Solskjaer needs Rashford back to his form of a couple of seasons ago - that's his own personal priority, otherwise he'll be sacked by the end of the season. Clumsy comments, no doubt, but I think it shows he's beginning to feel some pressure: Leicester today is a tough game, we've got Liverpool next week, then Spurs and Man City, with Chelsea soon after. By the end of that run, his number may be close to being called, esp if there's a couple of duff European results added into the mess.

Seems a ridiculous thing to say, but the United owners have shown frequently they're prone to knee-jerk reactions.

he should feel lucky he hasn't been sacked yet. absolute slug of a man

bgmnts

Quote from: imitationleather on October 16, 2021, 01:11:18 PM
Wow. Watford are playing even worse than Spurs!

QuoteHT: Watford 0-2 Liverpool

Possession - 83.4% Liverpool, 16.6% Watford

'Big chances' - 2 Liverpool, 0 Watford

Hit the woodwork - 1 Liverpool, 0 Watford

Shots on target - 3 Liverpool, 0 Watford

Final third entries - 51 Liverpool, 19 Watford

Touches in opposition box - 16 Liverpool, 2 Watford

Totat passes - 442 Liverpool, 91 Watford

That's not good reading if you're a Watford fan.

Ranieri out.