Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 20, 2024, 01:12:44 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Football Thread 2021/22: pre-seasons in the abyss

Started by sevendaughters, June 08, 2021, 10:22:01 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

DrGreggles

Quote from: Kankurette on October 21, 2021, 06:42:33 PM
They're going to get ravaged by Liverpool. If they can't beat us or Leicester, in no way are they beating Liverpool.

OGS* gets wins when his job is under threat. It's why he's still there.
Beating Atlanta and Liverpool will keep him there for another few months.

*Well, the players get a win when OGS's job is under threat. They like the easy life, and I doubt he has a hairdryer.

Inspector Norse

Mourinho's Roma getting beat 3-1 by a team from Lord of the Rings

imitationleather

To be fair, Bodo/Glimt have been a high-scoring sensation for a couple of years now.

To be unfair, that is in the Norwegian league.

EDIT: 4:1 now.

Chollis

Quote from: Kankurette on October 21, 2021, 06:42:33 PM
They're going to get ravaged by Liverpool. If they can't beat us or Leicester, in no way are they beating Liverpool.

doubt it sadly. we never turn up at Old Trafford[nb]apart from last season apparently, a game I have no memory of[/nb]

imitationleather

Okay, so Spurs are losing to Vitesse.

However: Bodo/Glimt 5:1 Roma

EDIT: 6:1

The Culture Bunker

Quote from: Inspector Norse on October 21, 2021, 06:51:12 PM
I wonder if there are issues with the coaching at Utd. There are a lot of players there who came to the club fairly young (Martial, Lindelöf, Wan-Bissaka, Fred, van der Beek) and have failed to kick on to the top level. You could perhaps say the same about Rashford or McTominay - how much have they really progressed since their breakthroughs?
How many players have genuinely improved at the club over the last few years? Shaw had his best season last year, but has been a bit shit of late.
Lindelof was pretty bad when he first arrived - easily bullied and prone to basic mistakes. The fact Jones got the nod in the 2018 cup final ahead of him speaks measures. I thought last season he played his best stuff for us, but still needed replacing but he's not quite good enough, regardless of coaching. Varane is a lot better. Martial is a sulky wee shite at the best of times - I suspect his problems are more inside his own head. His best goal return was under Solskjaer, 17 goals in 32 games in 20/21. Wan-Bissaka has had off-the-field issues entirely of his own making. Van de Beek is a weird one - he's so obviously not rated by the manager that I can believe he was another Woodward special, if not for the fact he doesn't fit the usual profile for such purchases: he should have been sold in the Summer while his Ajax rep still had some value.

Both Shaw and Maguire have looked a tad ropey since the Euros and I did worry whether there was an element of 'Lingard Syndrome' going on: as in, go to a major tournament, do pretty well and relax to the point you lose the focus that got you there. Still, Shaw put in a great cross for the winner last night.

As I said earlier, my feeling is too many players relax when they get to United because they've got it made. They're unlikely to get a better deal elsewhere and we've shown we generally extend contracts regardless of merit. Andreas Pereira made his debut in March 2015, barely done anything to merit being kept on since and is somehow still picking up a wage.

chveik

that's what happens when you think the conference league is beneath you

JamesTC

No wonder Roma lost 6-1, they were playing against two teams.

Chedney Honks

Feel sorry for Dele Alli, he's fucking shit at football these days.

Bernice

Quote from: Chedney Honks on October 21, 2021, 08:11:07 PM

Mad innit, when you think about how good he used to be. Can't wait for Everton to grab him on a free, tie him down to a six year contract, discover that he really is fucking shit and also a paedo.

Kankurette

If Everton bought Debbie, you know he'd spend the entire season injured after Andy Robertson snaps his leg. Or he drops a fridge on his big toe.

bgmnts

I'd be genuinely gutted if they split up Harry, Debbie and Eric.

Bernice

I'm afraid they are all paedos and all going to Everton.

jobotic

QuoteGlimt is known for the yellow kits and the huge yellow toothbrushes that the supporters carry to the matches

They certainly cleaned Mourinho's teeth tonight!!

bgmnts

His first floss away from home in Europe in ages.

the hum

Quote from: JamesTC on October 21, 2021, 07:50:18 PM
No wonder Roma lost 6-1, they were playing against two teams.

I'd assumed the name came about as a merger, but Bodo is the town and Glimt means "flash" in Norwegian. I'm presuming the forward slash is intended to emphasise it? Bodo Slash? And they play in yellow.

Kankurette

Quote from: bgmnts on October 21, 2021, 09:55:30 PM
I'd be genuinely gutted if they split up Harry, Debbie and Eric.
Hugo will get custody of the ant farm.

monkfromhavana

Quote from: the hum on October 21, 2021, 11:13:15 PM
I'd assumed the name came about as a merger, but Bodo is the town and Glimt means "flash" in Norwegian. I'm presuming the forward slash is intended to emphasise it? Bodo Slash? And they play in yellow.

Don't the play indoors as well? or do they have to play outside for the European fixtures?

DrGreggles

Quote from: Chedney Honks on October 21, 2021, 08:11:07 PM

So am I though, and I've been significantly less well rewarded for it.

phantom_power

It must be hard to be really good at something and near the pinnacle of the sport in your position and league and then for some reason have that disappear. Sporting form is such a complex thing

DrGreggles

Quote from: phantom_power on October 22, 2021, 08:54:52 AM
It must be hard to be really good at something and near the pinnacle of the sport in your position and league and then for some reason have that disappear.

It is, but I'm over it now.

Kankurette

Can't wait to see which poor Roma player will get thrown under the Mourinhobus this time.

phantom_power

Quote from: Kankurette on October 22, 2021, 03:24:11 PM
Can't wait to see which poor Roma player will get thrown under the Mourinhobus this time.

Luke Shaw

Hank Venture

Bodø/Glimt were named Glimt initially, but there was another team named then. Hence Bodø-Glimt, then Bodø/Glimt for esthetic reasons, I suppose.

By the way, the coach of Glimt is 10x the current coach of ManUtd.

Hank Venture

Quote from: monkfromhavana on October 22, 2021, 08:23:32 AM
Don't the play indoors as well? or do they have to play outside for the European fixtures?

Nope. Artificial turf though.

Teams from Northern Norway reaching European cups can lead to some nice results. This in Tromsø, even further North than Bodø: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uyQNKTJDVs4

imitationleather

Quote from: Hank Venture on October 22, 2021, 04:53:05 PM
Bodø/Glimt were named Glimt initially, but there was another team named then. Hence Bodø-Glimt, then Bodø/Glimt for esthetic reasons, I suppose.

By the way, the coach of Glimt is 10x the current coach of ManUtd.

I thought Glimt meant lightning, while Bodo was the name of the town?

Not an expert though so could be totally wrong.

Hank Venture

Quote from: imitationleather on October 22, 2021, 04:58:16 PM
I thought Glimt meant lightning, while Bodo was the name of the town?

Not an expert though so could be totally wrong.

It means glimmer/flash, not lightning. Although there is another Norwegian team literally named "Lyn" (lightning). And "Brann" (fire). Bodø is the town, yes. There was another team named Glimt, so they added the city name to the club name.

imitationleather

Interesting, thanks!

(Not being sarcastic, by the way.)

Captain Z

Quote from: Hank Venture on October 22, 2021, 04:56:08 PM
Nope. Artificial turf though.

Teams from Northern Norway reaching European cups can lead to some nice results. This in Tromsø, even further North than Bodø: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uyQNKTJDVs4

I was hoping that would be the link! Vivid memories of watching this game on TV, comments tell me it would have been the first season of "Thursday Nights On Channel 5".