Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 06:27:57 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Football Thread 2021/22: pre-seasons in the abyss

Started by sevendaughters, June 08, 2021, 10:22:01 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

buttgammon

Quote from: Captain Z on October 22, 2021, 05:27:27 PM
I was hoping that would be the link! Vivid memories of watching this game on TV, comments tell me it would have been the first season of "Thursday Nights On Channel 5".

Same! I saw this as an impressionable child and it must've been where I got my unnatural delight at watching football played in the snow from.

bgmnts

www.theguardian.com/football/2021/oct/22/the-fiver-roma-jose-mourinho

QuoteWe have 13 players who represent one team, the others are on a different level." Translation: "I only have 13 good players in my squad of 25 who are any good and I can't play them all the time, so realistically this is nothing to do with me.

imitationleather

If I had a dollar for every time I've heard Mourinho has said that!!

bgmnts

You'd probably be able to fund a few second string players to do the job against the Tolkien team in the third tier euro cup.

dr beat

Quote from: Captain Z on October 22, 2021, 05:27:27 PM
I was hoping that would be the link! Vivid memories of watching this game on TV, comments tell me it would have been the first season of "Thursday Nights On Channel 5".

Cant remember the teams, but a German team (Dortmund?) were winning away at an English team (Man City?) Might have been a CL clash with the loser being relegated to Europa League.  German fans were chanting 'Donnerstag, Channel Funf'.

TrenterPercenter

Villa abysmal tonight hopefully that is the last we see of the 5-3-2 rubbish; Arsenal fully deserved win but they have definitely got a bit tougher and nastier (probably a good thing for them) than I remember  every time a Arsenal player went down it was like they had been sniped from the stands.  Also that Gabriel at the back is an utter scummy brutish centre back off the ball, very effective and I'm not complaining.  Brutal times for Villa but I suspect now we can bin that dreadful formation off (for us we don't have decent wingbacks and the team doesn't know how to play with them anyway) then things will improve.

chveik

Chedney Honks

Quote from: Kankurette on October 23, 2021, 01:30:25 AM
Does he?

The main page says "Salah wants to end his career at Liverpool" so I guess that's it for him. Time to move on before it gets any more stale.

Kankurette

That feeling when you save a penalty and then it gets taken again and goes in.

Twonty Gostelow

Mick McCarthy gone from Cardiff after today's eighth defeat on the trot. He now faces a difficult wait of two working days for his cheque to clear.

I wonder if they'll gamble on Mike Flynn.

JamesTC

King signs for Everton on 1 February 2021.

King goals for Everton in 2021 - 0
King goals against Everton in 2021 - 3

Shoulders?-Stomach!

Kankurette

dr beat

Quote from: Twonty Gostelow on October 23, 2021, 04:17:29 PM
Mick McCarthy gone from Cardiff after today's eighth defeat on the trot. He now faces a difficult wait of two working days for his cheque to clear.

I wonder if they'll gamble on Mike Flynn.

Destroy and exit?

king_tubby

Quote from: Kankurette on October 23, 2021, 04:53:08 PM
Where were this Watford last week?

Mate of mine is a Watford fan and went last week and said they actually looked shit loads better than previously, despite the score line.

Kankurette

At least Benitez has ensured I will never see Everton play again. Thanks, Watford. You've done me a favour.

I do like Ranieri so that's consolation.

Bernice

Chedney Honks

Lol

Hundreds of millions spent with absolutely nothing to show for it except some absolutely filthy cunts in charge.

jamiefairlie

Quote from: Chedney Honks on October 23, 2021, 06:16:32 AM
The main page says "Salah wants to end his career at Liverpool" so I guess that's it for him. Time to move on before it gets any more stale.

End his career there, not his spell there. He wants stay until he retires.

Twonty Gostelow

Quote from: jamiefairlie on October 23, 2021, 06:41:14 PM
End his career there, not his spell there. He wants stay until he retires.

I think Chedney was making a wry jest about the inept ambiguity in the headline.

The Culture Bunker

I think there's also the old aspect of footballers being prone of the ostentatious "kissing the badge" style antics right before slapping in a transfer request. Though in Salah's case, I can believe it: he's 29, playing for a club at the top tier and the likes of Barca and Real haven't got the cash to tempt him. Liverpool have helped make him a global star, he's helped them to the top prizes - I can see why he'd want to see out the rest of his peak years with them.

jamiefairlie

Quote from: Twonty Gostelow on October 23, 2021, 06:49:45 PM
I think Chedney was making a wry jest about the inept ambiguity in the headline.

It's not really ambiguous, you don't have a career at a club, your career is all the time you spend at a profession.

Twonty Gostelow

That's true and I should have given it a little more thought. Chedney 100% to blame though.

Chedney Honks

If one person shit themself for one second, the laboured misunderstanding was entirely worth it.

Edit laboured not labourer