Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 29, 2024, 12:08:49 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Football Thread 2021/22: pre-seasons in the abyss

Started by sevendaughters, June 08, 2021, 10:22:01 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

imitationleather

Quote from: holyzombiejesus on August 03, 2021, 06:53:53 PM
I liked that one the BBC did of Peter Reid-era Sunderland in the nineties.

Premier Passions!

Last time I checked it's all on YouTube.

The Culture Bunker

I remember one about Sheffield United (I think it was just called 'United!') from around 1990, during their run-in to getting promoted to the old First Division. Dave Bassett tended to swear quite a lot, or at least it seemed so to the nine-year-old me.

It's probably been done, but one about a non-league side might be interesting, focused on the people who give up huge chunks of their lives to keeping the club running. And you have examples of teams like Workington, where most of the playing squad never step foot in the town except on match days, because they live 100 odd miles away.

Wonderful Butternut

Isn't there one about Leyton Orient where they put a former player in charge who's so ass backwards in his approach that Colin Wanker would cringe, ranting at the players in the dressing room and threatening to assault or sack them for disrespecting him. And he won like 3 games out of 20 or something atrocious bad like that.

I'd love for one of the players to say "Well I'll respect you when you've shown management skills beyond the ability to shout and swear, you miserable alehouse twat. We haven't won a game under you yet, you fucking cuntybollocks. Wanna fight about it? Let's go."

Chollis

Quote from: Wonderful Butternut on August 03, 2021, 07:16:46 PM
Isn't there one about Leyton Orient where they put a former player in charge who's so ass backwards in his approach that Colin Wanker would cringe, ranting at the players in the dressing room and threatening to assault or sack them for disrespecting him. And he won like 3 games out of 20 or something atrocious bad like that.

I'd love for one of the players to say "Well I'll respect you when you've shown management skills beyond the ability to shout and swear, you miserable alehouse twat. We haven't won a game under you yet, you fucking cuntybollocks. Wanna fight about it? Let's go."

Yeah, "Club for a Fiver" with the infamous Sitton rant

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XVj45yN72uU&ab_channel=OpenMedia

badaids

There was a good BBC (i think) one in the 90s about an American-football manager who was appointed at a desperate and sinking Chester City, and tried to port across all kinds of Grid Iron things such as splitting the team into a Defense team and Offense team, with a different on field captain for each, and complicated on field set plays. It was of course a complete disaster and hilarious to watch the lumbering 4th division journeymen gambolling around just trying to understand what this Vic and Bob stereotype was on about.

monkfromhavana

Look, just watch "Warnock" or "Big Ron Manager" as these are, i think, the best of them. The first series of the Sunderland one was good, the second was quite a bit shitter as everyone was a lot cagier. I have memories of watching a Partick Thistle one that was OK, but I can't remember what it was called.

monkfromhavana

Quote from: badaids on August 03, 2021, 07:45:07 PM
There was a good BBC (i think) one in the 90s about an American-football manager who was appointed at a desperate and sinking Chester City, and tried to port across all kinds of Grid Iron things such as splitting the team into a Defense team and Offense team, with a different on field captain for each, and complicated on field set plays. It was of course a complete disaster and hilarious to watch the lumbering 4th division journeymen gambolling around just trying to understand what this Vic and Bob stereotype was on about.

Terry Smith. He was basically a yank Michael Knighton, as in he bought the club then installed himself as manager.

Jockice

Quote from: The Culture Bunker on August 03, 2021, 07:10:20 PM
I remember one about Sheffield United (I think it was just called 'United!') from around 1990, during their run-in to getting promoted to the old First Division. Dave Bassett tended to swear quite a lot, or at least it seemed so to the nine-year-old me.

My clearest memory of that was a scene where Bassett was having a shave while talking to someone. He wasn't even looking at his face!. If I ever tried anything like that it would be a bloodbath.

The Culture Bunker

Quote from: monkfromhavana on August 03, 2021, 08:06:12 PM
Terry Smith. He was basically a yank Michael Knighton, as in he bought the club then installed himself as manager.
Knighton managed to get the first step right: he hired a good coach (Mick Wadsworth) and decent players were brought in, like David Reeves, Tony Gallimore and Derek Mountfield. After years of being at the bottom of the whole league, they got promoted top of the table and made it to the Auto Windscreens Final. That was the point Knighton went a bit mental and started making all the wrong decisions, culminating (as you say) a few years later with making himself manager.

His lasting legacy at the club is the lopsided stand that doesn't match where the actual pitch is, as they've still not round to replacing the other sides of the ground. 

Jockice

I haven't been to Brunton Park for approaching 45 years but I  always drive past it on family visits and am very tempted to go someday. Of course when I went to see them they were in the top division. That's not likely to ever happen again. But I was there!

sprocket

On the subject of the Mighty Carlisle United, there was a documentary on Roddy Collins' time there.

https://vimeo.com/66892977

Quote from: bgmnts on August 02, 2021, 04:49:13 PM
There is a funny bit near the end of the Sunderland one where Coleman get's accosted outside the stadium by a fan and starts chopsing and Coleman says something like "I'm a married man with kids!".

https://twitter.com/Nozza_/status/1245235938298642432

chveik

sparta prague supporters have done a racism (monkey noises when tchouaméni scored). ban the cunts from all european competitions (along with the slavia)

Wonderful Butternut

Quote from: chveik on August 04, 2021, 06:26:25 PM
sparta prague supporters have done a racism (monkey noises when tchouaméni scored). ban the cunts from all european competitions (along with the slavia)

Agreed. But unfortunately UEFA will slap them with a fine, maybe make them play a game or two with no crowd (oh no, however will a football club manage with no fans in the stadium?) and tell them they were very bold and that they're not to do it again.

Bohemians beat PAOK yesterday, which falls under "that's not really supposed to happen." There is the away leg to go though.

JamesTC

Talk Shite have gone and done a anti-Semitic whoopsy. Ban the cunts from covering all football competitions.

Kankurette

Yes. And someone needs to tell Everton football fans that screaming and swearing does not a good manager make.
Quote from: JamesTC on August 04, 2021, 06:55:49 PM
Talk Shite have gone and done a anti-Semitic whoopsy. Ban the cunts from covering all football competitions.
Wtf?

monkfromhavana

John Sitton, who is now a black cab driver with a chip on his shoulder about how he can't get work in football. He occasionally pops up on Talk Sport and the odd podcast here and there.

Vitamin C

Villa appear to be doing a "Gareth Bale money" with the Grealish funds before they've even sold the bloke. This is all going to go horribly tits up isn't it?

TrenterPercenter

Quote from: Vitamin C on August 04, 2021, 09:04:43 PM
Villa appear to be doing a "Gareth Bale money" with the Grealish funds before they've even sold the bloke. This is all going to go horribly tits up isn't it?

Nah it's looking good; Buendia, Leon Bailey, Watkins, Ings is a pretty sweet line up

Kankurette

Chollis

looks like Fofana has had his leg snapped in a pre-season friendly against Villareal

graphic challenge btw

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pHIfDaE4ypg&ab_channel=Benedict

JamesTC

Leicester apparently considered signing Kabak earlier in the window. Think they might push ahead with the deal now. Would be happy for him as he deserves to be playing for a big club.

chveik

Chedney Honks

FUT 22 data leaked

virgil got single figures for pace

Oof.

chveik

the thicko that injured fofana didn't get a red. and you can clearly see it was intentional

Quote from: Chedney Honks on August 05, 2021, 06:39:38 AM
FUT 22 data leaked

virgil got single figures for pace

Oof.

Harsh. The fella survived a T-Rex attack.

Mobius

Partey got fucked in a friendly and Arsenal have given Xhaka a new contract FUCK SAKE

imitationleather

Messi leaving Barcelona CONFIRMED.

Kane must be sweating like a cunt in a Florida hotel room right now.