Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 24, 2024, 08:40:42 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Lloyd-Webber Gone Guerrilla

Started by Paul Calf, June 09, 2021, 08:27:25 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Paul Calf

"FUCK THE POLICE!" exclaims noted hoarder of young women's shoes[nb]https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Over_the_Rainbow_(2010_TV_series)[/nb], Andrew Lloyd-Webber as he strikes out against The Man  a blow for the freedom of every man, woman and child in the UK who wants to go and see one of his tawdry, mawkish festivals of screech. He's seen scientific evidence that COVID isn't spread in theatres. Uniquely in theatres. Lloyd-Webber has emerged from the shadows as truly a man of his age.

https://www.theguardian.com/culture/2021/jun/08/lloyd-webber-says-he-will-risk-arrest-to-reopen-his-theatres-on-21-june

Or perhaps this is just another selfish, overprivileged, well-connected tat-peddler who doesn't want his easy life of selling warm puke to undiscerning twats disrupted. He knows no-one is going to arrest a Knight-Bachelor who's also a Baron so thinks it's OK to coerce his staff and customers into endangering their lives and liberty to keep the L-W coffers from drying up.

touchingcloth

Bustopher Jones is an absolute banger, though.

Fambo Number Mive

So what will Andrew do if his staff don't want to face arrest and/or risk their health? He's putting them in a really unfair position.

QuoteLloyd Webber claimed scientific evidence showed theatres are "completely safe" and do not cause outbreaks. He added: "If the government ignore their own science, we have the mother of all legal cases against them. If Cinderella couldn't open, we'd go, 'Look, either we go to law about it or you'll have to compensate us."'

"Go to law"

Where is this scientific evidence that large rooms full of people, some of whom will be cheering loudly or eating and drinking, in buildings with very variable ventilation, do not cause outbreaks? Also you have the hallways which can be very crowded with people faffing around and queuing for a poo, or waiting around to shake the hands of the cast. During the interval you get large crowds hanging around in the hallways.

touchingcloth

I was going to quote that same thing before deciding on a weak Cats reference instead.

If Cinderella couldn't open, we'd go, 'Look, either we go to law about it or you'll have to compensate us.'

State of that sentence.

phantom_power

If theatres have been shut all through the pandemic, or at least socially distanced, how can there be evidence that non-socially distanced theatres don't spread the virus?

Paul Calf

DrGreggles

I went to a socially distanced theatrical event* a couple of weeks ago.
It was fine, and didn't give me the COVIDs (again).

But it wasn't Cinderella unfortunately. Or Pope Ted.

*live podcast

PlanktonSideburns

Isn't this cunt furlougehd

Wish he was silod

bgmnts

Webber is a massive plagiarist right? Didn't he nick something from Pink Floyd's Echoes album?

Quote from: bgmnts on June 09, 2021, 10:09:43 AM
Webber is a massive plagiarist right? Didn't he nick something from Pink Floyd's Echoes album?
The main instrumental riff from the title song to "The Phantom of the Opera" is pretty much identical to a guitar riff in "Echoes", but to be fair it does sound like a descending-then-ascending scale pattern that someone might have come up with independently, without hearing |"Echoes".

steve98

Webber is a massive plagiarist right?

And now he aims to become a massive *drum roll*..... plagueiarist!
Thanks in advance :)

idunnosomename

It's chromatic D-A# and back up. Echoes is a semitone lower. Dunno. He's more into ripping off classical composers. Cunt got sued by Puccini estate lol

DrGreggles

Memories is essentially Bolero too.

PlanktonSideburns

ALSO and more importantly, his plagiarism results in low quality music

Stoneage Dinosaurs

Don't know this guy but he sounds like a bit of a tit

Petey Pate

Quote from: DrGreggles on June 09, 2021, 10:51:23 AM
Memories is essentially Bolero too.

Victor Lewis Smith's Honest Obituary of Lloyd-Webber has a few more examples of alleged plagiarism.  I doubt that any were intentional (with the exception perhaps of the Mendelssohn concerto) but it's still amusing.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JoVccXgAy6U

Rick Wakeman also accused Webber of stealing the main riff for Phantom of the Opera from this tune of his.

https://youtu.be/cN1RT3Jkr48

PlanktonSideburns

idunnosomename

Thanks for that TV Offal bit. The image of time-travelling composers plagiarising lloyd-webber has always been associated with him for me but I dont think ive seen it since it was aired

jobotic

Didn't Looyd-Weeber fly from New Damn York City to London so that he vote for benefit cuts? Or is that a myth?

Sebastian Cobb

In theory, having Webber's audience all get ill could be a solution to the Lloyd-Webber problem, bit inefficient though.

Sebastian Cobb

Quote from: Petey Pate on June 09, 2021, 11:17:22 AM

Rick Wakeman also accused Webber of stealing the main riff for Phantom of the Opera from this tune of his.

Hard to pick a side on them two, they're both a pair of insufferable reactionary hamptons.

Paul Calf

Christ, Lewis-Smith really is a cunt isn't he? That Vanessa Feltz segment was fucked up.

thenoise

If only there were some way of beaming the performance into people's homes, perhaps using some kind of special viewing screen?

BJBMK2

And here I was expecting a true Guerrilla style breakdown.

An hour later, Lloyd-Webber emerged from a balcony with blood on his face, throwing what could have been a human head. Minuetes later, he was seen firing a rocket launcher at a wedding.

bgmnts

Quote from: Better Midlands on June 09, 2021, 11:58:05 AM
Without ALW there might have been no KLF.

I'll give credit where it's due, that's a great little riff and there's something I find haunting about that song and performance. Judas is by far the most interesting character in Jesus story of the Bible, as an aside.

madhair60

Quote from: Paul Calf on June 09, 2021, 12:14:44 PM
Christ, Lewis-Smith really is a cunt isn't he? That Vanessa Feltz segment was fucked up.

Problematic fave.

The BBC headline Lloyd Webber "ready for arrest" made me fear the worst.

shiftwork2

Apparently gets his knickers in a twist if he doesn't get 1A on New York flights.  It's not enough just to be in first class.  Total fillet.

Might have read that on PPrune when the Cilla stuff was all the rage, or alternatively may have dreamt it.  Either way it still stands.