Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 10:56:50 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Playdate - handheld gaming for cranks

Started by Consignia, June 09, 2021, 05:18:43 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Consignia

Just so this isn't buried in the E3 corporate wank-o-thon thread...

The Playdate

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DeWGukDrc1U

Pretty sure loads of people are aware this qwirky new device, and it's just had a big update about when it's actually coming out. Loads of odd little games revealed, it'd be well interesting if it can live up to being a device for odd pots games.

Even comes with a free SDK, so there's chance for people to put out their own games for it. As well as a game maker that you run in a web browser.

Personally the only detraction for me is the price. $179 is a quite a bit. I reckon around the $100-129 range would make it a lot more palatable, but I'm sure it's going sell it's enough to justify it's self.

So what think you?

St_Eddie

I desperately want one of these little beauties.  I adore everything about it; the design, the concept, the developers making the games.  It's just brilliant.  I really can't justify spending that much money to purchase one though.   $100 or less and I'd be all over it.

Quote from: Consignia on June 09, 2021, 05:18:43 PM
Even comes with a free SDK, so there's chance for people to put out their own games for it. As well as a game maker that you run in a web browser.

I wonder how long it'll take for someone to port Doom to it.  My money's on less than a year after launch.

Consignia

Quote from: St_Eddie on June 09, 2021, 05:29:57 PM
I wonder how long it'll take for someone to port Doom to it.  My money's on less than a year after launch.

So fast it's already happened: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Kt4StVKLLdI

St_Eddie

madhair60

having this. love handhelds. the idea of drip-feeding games across "seasons" is great, and the fact it's going to be (basically) open-source means the potential is superb

Chedney Honks

Pre-ordered a dozen to flog em in six months to the complete fucking cunts who would be interested in this piece of shit.

madhair60

Quote from: Chedney Honks on June 09, 2021, 06:31:01 PM
Pre-ordered a dozen to flog em in six months to the complete fucking cunts who would be interested in this piece of shit.

Pre-orders aren't open yet - pwned

Chedney Honks

Fair play. I'll eat that.

Enjoy your lil crank when it comes.

For three to five minutes.

Heard it's very popular on the dark web.

Mister Six

Can't watch videos as at work.

What's the deal with this? Why is it quirky? What's the crank thing? Does it run on clockwork or something?

Chedney Honks

Damn, you never heard of this lil cunt before?

It's a game boy setup, D-pad and two shit buttons, no back light, but also... get this... Got a lil crenk controller.

The games look like aids.

Johnny Textface

Teenage Engineering stuff does tend to be pricey but usually very good quality. I want one of these very much. I agree that giving you a bunch of games to just pop on and play over the course of a season is a great idea.

Chedney, you look like aids.

And not in a good way.

petercussing

I do like it when people make toxic landfill of futures, it's compelling, but will you be able to insert this into your body like in Videodrome? Obviously if you push hard enough that can be done with anything, but is it a feature?

peanutbutter

This hinges a lot on at least a few of the first games being kinda fun. If it manages to do okay enough that it winds up appealing to a fuckton of indie devs due to the limitations (and not arbitrary ones as in the Pico-8), there could be some really nice little games on it after the first wave, but I'm pretty skeptical that any of the first wave of games will feel like much more than picking a few games off Itch at random and that'll kill most enthusiasm for it.

The bizarre speaker dock thing is classic Teenage Engineering price gouging, make a neat but overpriced device and then charge insane money for all of its shitty accessories. Can easily see a certain type of person buying it just to have a pen by Teenage Engineering in their collection...

Chedney Honks

It looks like the kind of thing 30/40-something men get over-excited about to brute force a dwindling interest in gaming.

It's so out there, you can't not love it.

Can't wait for Season Two, particularly because Season One looks shite.

Mister Six

Wait the crank is a controller? Like, for fishing games or something?

So it's got two buttons, a D-pad, a B&W screen and a fucking crank?

Seems like a prime landfill candidate, soz peeps.

Jerzy Bondov

If I ever become enough of a miserable old sod that something like this doesn't excite me I want to be euthanised with a brick

Chedney Honks

Or...

When nothing else touches the sides besides a lil crank and facile consumerist companionship.

😅😅😅

Chedney Honks

My honest opinion is that it's not for me but I hope people who are looking forward to it will enjoy it. Cheers.

Beagle 2

People keep mentioning this thing about how we supposedly lose interest in video games around the age of 40. If you're secretly really hoping this is going to happen to you out of some vague panic about your own mortality and you're looking forward to finally turning into a worthwhile adult human, I think you might be disappointed.

Chedney Honks

😂😂😂

I largely lost interest in videogames already and it's got fuck all to do with my age or existential angst!

😅😅😅

Edit: emoji swap.

bomb_dog

Quote from: Beagle 2 on June 09, 2021, 08:27:11 PM
People keep mentioning this thing about how we supposedly lose interest in video games around the age of 40.

Nah bollocks, bought lots of games in the last 3 years since getting over the 40 hill. Currently 64 pagies into Yooka-Laylee, admittedly playing it with my daughter who's too young to operate the controls.

The fact this is an 'old-style' game based off the N64 Banjo Kazooie game may mean minus points, but I still recently got the itch.oi bundle and looking forward to finding some gems.

Chedney Honks

Madhair60 said it once as a joke. I said it once as a joke. I think it just unwittingly caused a bristle.

The footage makes all of the games look like they're running on a Game.Com

I had a Game.Com, it was shite, hoping this is better.

Video Game Fan 2000

Why does this need to exist when you can do homebrew stuff on cheapie Ashens-frightening handhelds?

Its the kind of thing I might impulse buy on holidays if it was half the price and Bitcoin was going bananas but 'undred and fifty quid?

Video Game Fan 2000

I'd be fucked if I lost interest in games at 40. Every time in my life I've given up gaming because I felt it was immature or a waste of time, my time management and ability to learn/absorb shit went to shit. My brain has to be at least in part preoccupied with something pointless but interesting or I can't function. Its sport stats and soap opera plotlines for some people but its games for me.

Zetetic

Chedney Honks

It's a return to the creativity of the microcomputer bedroom developer era.

Mit Crank.

MojoJojo

Quote from: Bazooka on June 10, 2021, 01:39:47 AM
I want colour at that price.

If it was colour you might notice your cheap shitty android phone is better.

I dunno quite why I'm down on this. I think I'm frustrated that mobiles are potentially brilliant gaming devices that due to their ubiquity have pretty much killed off dedicated handheld gaming devices BUT are actually shit because of free to play bollocks.

Jimmy, I've noticed you've been a bit lonely around the house lately so I've arranged for you to have a playdate.

Oh, fantastic. Is it with that lovely wee blonde lassie fae number 32?

No, ya wee bawbag. Here. This wee thing. It's fandabidozi!

Looks like a twee fashion accessory for hipster pricks to me!

Come 'ere you!

Oh, don't be so cranky!

No, doooooo be so cranky! (looks down lens, makes cranking gesture)

narrator - Crank your way to a high score in "vinyl cuntdown" or crank yourself to tears with the moving walking simulator "woodenhead adventures (bird through gap in thorax)" (sped up) playing for prolonged periods may result in "mutoscope stoop", squinting eyes, hunch back, claw hand, jism.