Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 09:22:37 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Playdate - handheld gaming for cranks

Started by Consignia, June 09, 2021, 05:18:43 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

madhair60

Only one crank around 'ere, mate! (Sips weak lager)

I can see it delighting people who jump in and give it some love.
I can also see it leaving some people with huge buyers remorse.
It'll be a fun adventure, either way.
I can totally see the appeal of it.
I agree, that element of there being games already in there that they drip feed to you so everyone's on the same page and talking about the new games on social media and stuff, that's a good angle.

Honks, what's that thing on switch where it's like an engine and people can make there own games. Loads of doujin shmups on there. You can buy server tokens or something, but you can download one game free a day? I think it might have been a bit like those pico-8 fantasy console things but not as retro.
I was trying to find it before as it seemed like a good alternative to this, loads of free indie games on a portable.
I was trying to find it but it's a nightmare to search for if you don't know the name.

Chedney Honks

I actually don't know but I know what you mean, think it's only on the JPN eShop at the moment but I've not been on the Switch in ages.

Yeah, I remember seeing loads of japanese indie devs making stuff for it.
Right, I suppose it's not much of an alternative if folk have got to jump through hoops and all the games will be in japanese then!

Claude the Racecar Driving Rockstar Super Sleuth

Video Game Fan 2000

Wait, I just realised the crank doesn't recharge the battery. It's just a controller?

Whu wha whe whu: why?

Chedney Honks

Why does an penny farthing have one big wheel and a little wheel and an imperceptible microwheel?

Video Game Fan 2000

I've often thought a cool idea for a hand held would be one with just a clicky trackball for a controller and nothing else. You could do stuff like Marble Madness, Katamari, Monkey Ball, simple RTS and ARPG stuff on it.

Would never have thought of a crank.

peanutbutter

Quote from: Video Game Fan 2000 on June 10, 2021, 12:15:39 PM
Wait, I just realised the crank doesn't recharge the battery. It's just a controller?

Whu wha whe whu: why?
Most those crank based charging things aren't remotely efficient from what I recall. Far bigger gimmicks than this thing, even.

It's basically a hackathon for indie devs in hardware form. "here is a device, you have these massive restrictions, you've still got analogue input but it's in a weird way you've never considered before".

I wonder how resilient that crank is to intensive use, mind...

St_Eddie