Main Menu

Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 25, 2024, 01:12:11 AM

Login with username, password and session length

milliondollarextreme

Started by Corpoproc, June 09, 2021, 08:49:43 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Corpoproc

what do you guys think about them? personally i think that up until hydewars (or probably world peace tbh) they made really inspirinng and genius content. it's downplayed how influential they were, even outside of comedy. the only thing that brings me solace now is charls stuff tbh.

Corpoproc

ay, glad there are other people on here who like MDE :3

Indomitable Spirit

I think there was always shards of interesting ideas in their stuff, but a lot of feels very undercooked. Poor writing for the most part and there wasn't a natural, charismatic performer in the gang to really elevate the shoddier material. The whole troupe felt like a bunch of forum trolls promoted way above their natural level - which is pretty much what they all were I suppose.

Sam doing his little incel self help vids now all feels a bit sad to be honest. For someone who professes to hate boomers so much, his core advice of "buy a house/learn a trade" feels an awful lot like listening to a lecture from your dad.

I do really love the "Toss It Project" sketch from World Peace though. While the angle they're coming from a probably/definitely a bit dodgy, there's a real righteous anger to the whole sketch that is sadly lacking from most satire today. I also think the presentation/graphics of WP look fucking amazing. Sam is definitely a talented artist when it comes to that stuff.

Corpoproc

Quote from: Indomitable Spirit on June 09, 2021, 09:05:16 PM
I think there was always shards of interesting ideas in their stuff, but a lot of feels very undercooked. Poor writing for the most part and there wasn't a natural, charismatic performer in the gang to really elevate the shoddier material. The whole troupe felt like a bunch of forum trolls promoted way above their natural level - which is pretty much what they all were I suppose.

Sam doing his little incel self help vids now all feels a bit sad to be honest. For someone who professes to hate boomers so much, his core advice of "buy a house/learn a trade" feels an awful lot like listening to a lecture from your dad.

I do really love the "Toss It Project" sketch from World Peace though. While the angle they're coming from a probably/definitely a bit dodgy, there's a real righteous anger to the whole sketch that is sadly lacking from most satire today. I also think the presentation/graphics of WP look fucking amazing. Sam is definitely a talented artist when it comes to that stuff.

yeah, sam is fuckin stupid now tbh, but honestly i don't think MDE was really undercooked. and i wouldn't say shit like Tissue Box and Ideas Man had poor writing.

WP was a masterpiece tho, yeah.

sevendaughters

the internet's most toxic fanbase and they never give up. actively spoiled two forums and a couple of subreddits i was on. for a return of 1.5 funny bits they did this is entirely unfair on the world.

Corpoproc

Quote from: sevendaughters on June 09, 2021, 09:25:42 PM
the internet's most toxic fanbase and they never give up. actively spoiled two forums and a couple of subreddits i was on. for a return of 1.5 funny bits they did this is entirely unfair on the world.
this is about MDE itself chief, not its fanbase

BJBMK2

Sam Hyde came off as a big spoiled, Alt Right baby that time he rang in to Tim Heidecker's radio show, to accuse Tim of sabotaging and getting World Peace cancelled. I don't think World Peace needed help from any outside forces to be cancelled, it did that just fine on it's own accord...

sevendaughters

Quote from: Corpoproc on June 09, 2021, 09:27:15 PM
this is about MDE itself chief, not its fanbase

it's become impossible to view in isolation. be it from the fans, the Nazi associations of its makers, discourse becomes part of a show, audience and reception theory 101. sure in many senses it was driven by a backlash to liberal complacency, i get it, but most of us here hate that and have managed not to become thoroughgoing actual Nazis.

Corpoproc

Quote from: BJBMK2 on June 09, 2021, 09:32:28 PM
Sam Hyde came off as a big spoiled, Alt Right baby that time he rang in to Tim Heidecker's radio show, to accuse Tim of sabotaging and getting World Peace cancelled. I don't think World Peace needed help from any outside forces to be cancelled, it did that just fine on it's own accord...
ngl tho world peace do be getting cancelled by outside forces tho. world peace wasn't even alt-right.

i think sam trying to accuse tim of doing it tho is shitty tho

Famous Mortimer

Quote from: Corpoproc on June 09, 2021, 09:33:56 PM
ngl tho world peace do be getting cancelled by outside forces tho
this is about MDE itself chief, not outside forces

McChesney Duntz

Whenever I worry that my blood pressure is too low, I just think of the smirk on Hyde's face when he dropped the name "David Duke" into a sketch on that fucking show of his, and, voila, fixed.

Corpoproc

Quote from: McChesney Duntz on June 09, 2021, 10:20:13 PM
Whenever I worry that my blood pressure is too low, I just think of the smirk on Hyde's face when he dropped the name "David Duke" into a sketch on that fucking show of his, and, voila, fixed.
ye that was a shit move but the sketch was still funny

Bazooka

I think it's a bit silly to say you can't view it in isolation from the fanbase, I mean if you don't read Reddit or god forbid 4chan it's incredibly easy. I think Charles Carol in particular is a very interesting guy, and his Bombstrap stuff on YouTube is worth checking out.

I liked the Prison/John Maus finale:
https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=balitii8_Xg

CEO Erick Hayden:  https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=qFeKOrU7W0k

And the Wine Party of course: https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=SwYrwAxbkmY

ajsmith2

Quote from: McChesney Duntz on June 09, 2021, 10:20:13 PM

A namedrop so unprecedentedly, paradigm (2070) - explodingly edgy in televised comedy that Seinfeld already made it twice two decades previously.

Garam

McChesney Duntz

Been down this road repeatedly in the past, but I swear, with most of their stuff, I can't even find where the fucking jokes are supposed to be. That may actually offend me more than the toxic, hateful ideology flowing through it all.

PlanktonSideburns

Quote from: McChesney Duntz on June 09, 2021, 10:52:20 PM
Been down this road repeatedly in the past, but I swear, with most of their stuff, I can't even find where the fucking jokes are supposed to be. That may actually offend me more than the toxic, hateful ideology flowing through it all.

Sometimes that's the only joke in their stuff

sevendaughters

Quote from: Bazooka on June 09, 2021, 10:27:25 PM

yeah I've always felt this was a really horrible sketch that doesn't even really work as an observation of a certain kind of contemporary televisual style or modern male peacocking, and is completely lost in the gratuitous violence and gleeful revelling in it. like everything with MDE i felt they were given the ball and a free lane to the hoop and never once really put a chance away.

g0m

remember "moms"? terrible shite

Old Nehamkin

I've always felt like I should check out some more MDE stuff as I've not really seen enough to form a solid opinion, but the main thing that's put me off is listening to that Tim Heidecker interview in which Sam Hyde comes off as such a hateful, cynical, grandstanding cunt. He actually reminds me strongly of Katie Hopkins in that exchange, just that same basic technique of doggedly remaining on the self-righteous offensive throughout and adopting the most shamelessly bad-faith, gallery-playing reaction to everything that Heidecker says. Exhausting, maddening shit.

I personally can't believe Tim Heidecker would put a stop to such genius comedy such as this: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k5lcSSrwP0Q

BritishHobo

Sometimes I think it's unfair that I judge Sam Hyde when I've only really seen the "Moms" sketch that time it got posted here - and then I click on something like "Wine Party" and realise, oh no, he is definitely, definitively shit.

madhair60

awful, comedy for the bereft of compassion

chveik

Ornlu

Extending my sympathies to the OP, who no doubt just hoped for a glowing, convivial discussion of a show they like. Comedy needs to have COMPASSION here! *thwacks with frying pan*

chveik

Quote from: Ornlu on June 10, 2021, 09:31:32 AM
Extending my sympathies to the OP, who no doubt just hoped for a glowing, convivial discussion of a show they like. Comedy needs to have COMPASSION here! *thwacks with frying pan*

please could you tell us where the jokes are in this

Quote from: Bazooka on June 09, 2021, 10:27:25 PM
I liked the Prison/John Maus finale:
https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=balitii8_Xg

CEO Erick Hayden:  https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=qFeKOrU7W0k

The Mollusk

Quote from: Ornlu on June 10, 2021, 09:31:32 AM

Compassion doesn't just mean "warm and fuzzy", it extends far beyond that. Even if something like IASIP is overtly bleak and mean-spirited, it's still written compassionately because even without watching interviews you get a sense that the writers are good people who just wanted to flex as much nastiness as possible to make funny results. There's a kinship with the viewer where they understand that they can share this with the world and it can be accepted for what it is. MDE on the other hand largely comes off as bitter and disdainful at its roots, comedy which is written by pricks, for pricks.

PlanktonSideburns

It's hard to bring anything but distain to talking about these lads as they seem to be totally him humourless themselves. Really cross frat boys is all I can see here. People who thought fight club was a documentary

This shit is like a propaganda film from an alternate universe: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UFREzbYnwpQ