Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 5,584,350
  • Total Topics: 106,754
  • Online Today: 1,132
  • Online Ever: 3,311
  • (July 08, 2021, 03:14:41 AM)
Users Online
Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 26, 2024, 04:42:46 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Where a greatest hits album is enough

Started by Famous Mortimer, June 09, 2021, 10:15:11 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

lazyhour

He's one of my favourite ever artists but I would concede that for the casual music fan, a comprehensive Ian Dury & The Blockheads greatest hits is probably all you need. I have everything he ever recorded in my collection (bar his answerphone outgoing messages), and I think some folk might find most of his post-New Boots & Panties albums a bit of struggle.

You'd need Do It Yourself pretty much in full though, wouldn't you?

Famous Mortimer

Going through my collection today...

Oingo Boingo
A greatest hits album might be pushing it slightly, even, but there's enough decent stuff on there to hold the interest.

Penguin Cafe Orchestra
Whenever you might have a hankering to listen to them, I bet you probably just want to hear "Music For A Found Harmonium" or "Telephone And Rubber Band". Or maybe that's just me. But there's a couple of other lovely things on their greatest hits, and having listened to all their albums at one time or another, I've no desire to go and buy anything else.

Re: Pavement, I love their early stuff and am one of those people who went off them a bit after they kicked out Gary Young. There's nothing interesting for me after "Wowee Zowee" (and honestly, not a lot on there either) and Malkmus' post-Pavement stuff is just pointless. But there's enough gems on those first couple of albums to mean they're outside the realms of just needing a greatest hits.

the science eel

Quote from: Famous Mortimer on June 14, 2021, 08:15:13 PM

Penguin Cafe Orchestra
Whenever you might have a hankering to listen to them, I bet you probably just want to hear "Music For A Found Harmonium" or "Telephone And Rubber Band". Or maybe that's just me.

Not this? it's one of my favourite pieces of music by anyone:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=orR1i4yS8No

Waking Life

On the Pavement suggestions, does the tracklisting of Quarantine the Past (their actual Greatest Hits album) work? Just noticed that Pitchfork gave it a perfect 10 too.

I really don't think they're a good example though. Admittedly, I haven't listened to the above, but their albums are very idiosyncratic (for better or worse) that I'm not sure how well it would flow as a mish mash. Even if I listened to the above, I'd struggle to divorce the songs from their albums, although I notice they have quite a few non-album tracks on it too.

studpuppet

I decided to have a quick look through my CDs[nb]With downloads there would be more, but that I'd be less invested in.[/nb] and only count Greatest Hits albums where I don't have something else by the same artist(s):

Horace Andy
ABBA (although I'm sure I had Arrival as well, but can't find it anywhere)
Burt Bacharach (Is that allowed? A composer best-of?)
Ian Dury & The Blockheads
Michael Jackson
Led Zeppelin
The Meters
Madness
(I bought The Liberty Of Norton Folgate a couple of years ago, but it's so not part of their 'greatest hits' oeuvre I thought I'd be on safe ground)
The Platters

purlieu

I have The Definitive Simon & Garfunkel (some good stuff on the albums, but I never really listened to them, whereas this gets a fairly regular spin), Ten by Girls Aloud (Cut of Control is the only album I rate) and the 1991 and 2003 R.E.M. Best Ofs (I own five albums but like a lot of singles from the ones I don't). Plus a few I've got for exclusive tracks / bonus DVDs by my favourite artists.

Video Game Fan 2000

The Who and Led Zeppelin are bands where a Best Of is the worst way to experience them.

Enjoying the most energetic soul riffs ever played by white boys? *taps watch* Don't push it son. You've had a fun fifteen minutes. Time for Going Mobile, Squeeze Box and Athena.

Quote from: Waking Life on June 14, 2021, 09:45:31 PM
On the Pavement suggestions, does the tracklisting of Quarantine the Past (their actual Greatest Hits album) work? Just noticed that Pitchfork gave it a perfect 10 too.

It's a pretty interesting artifact to itself. Its got Debris Slide and Box Elder and other early bona fides on it, but otherwise heavily weighted towards the light and (we don't call it this no more) fey indie that Pitchfork trafficked in, and it came out around exactly the time where the hipster moment imploded and that stuff became the music of home insurance adverts and early influencer aesthetics. The whole thing screams "remember when this seemed so relevant?" the title inverting the lyric from Gold Soundz and all.

shagatha crustie

Quote from: the science eel on June 14, 2021, 08:53:54 PM
Not this? it's one of my favourite pieces of music by anyone:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=orR1i4yS8No

Oh man, me too. That is the stuff. Also 'The One You Love is Going Away and it Doesn't Matter' from that album.

non capisco

Quote from: Special K on June 14, 2021, 09:06:53 PM
Beastie Boys

Letting out a massive Will Arnett "COME OOOOOOOOOON!" at this fucking lunacy. 'Paul's Boutique' alone is one of the greatest hip hop albums ever recorded. You'd honestly forego the rapturous eclecticism of 'Check Your Head' and 'Ill Communication' for just the singles? Like Fred Flintstone driving around with bald feet.

kidsick5000

Frank Zappa.

Back in the day, it seemed obligatory for even the smallest record shop to stock an inordinate amount of seemingly unshiftable Frank Zappa albums.

A best of would be enough. Generally, you don't hear of any Zappas tracks spoken of beyond Peaches En Regalia or Valley Girl.

Many would struggle to name a third, let alone a fourth

kidsick5000

Which act justifiably has a second, no repeats Greatest Hits album.
Beatles. Abba. Queen?

Mister Six

kidsick5000

willbo

I always thought the REM best ofs (at least the ones that cover the 90s) weren't good enough because they didn't have Drive (the opening track on automatic). I'm sure there's a few 80s REM tracks left of best ofs that I like. I do think their 90s-00s stuff is mostly ok enjoyed as a best of, other than Drive.

willbo

Quote from: kidsick5000 on June 15, 2021, 02:43:57 AM
Beatles. Abba. Queen?

One day... Korn will join them. They released this in 2004. Volume 2 still hasn't been announced though.

willbo

Quote from: non capisco on June 15, 2021, 12:00:38 AM
Letting out a massive Will Arnett "COME OOOOOOOOOON!" at this fucking lunacy. 'Paul's Boutique' alone is one of the greatest hip hop albums ever recorded. You'd honestly forego the rapturous eclecticism of 'Check Your Head' and 'Ill Communication' for just the singles? Like Fred Flintstone driving around with bald feet.

the 2 disc late 90s collection Sounds of Science was a pretty good set, containing some lesser known album tracks etc.

the science eel

Quote from: kidsick5000 on June 15, 2021, 02:36:29 AM
Frank Zappa.

Back in the day, it seemed obligatory for even the smallest record shop to stock an inordinate amount of seemingly unshiftable Frank Zappa albums.

A best of would be enough. Generally, you don't hear of any Zappas tracks spoken of beyond Peaches En Regalia or Valley Girl.

Many would struggle to name a third, let alone a fourth

Nobody needs to hear 'Valley Girl' - it's an absolute nightmare.

But yeah, there aren't many other 'obvious' hits. 'Shut Up And Play Yer Guitar', maybe? 'Bobby Brown'?

This is hardly 'greatest hits' but it's a decent collection of what made the man and his people good in the early days.

The Culture Bunker

Beatles. Abba. Queen?
Slight variation on the theme, but there's justified (ie full of notable hits) compilations for the Jam, Style Council and Paul Weller. Two for his solo work, actually - seems his last top 20 single was 2008, which is a pretty good 30 year run.

SpiderChrist

Frank Zappa is a case where a greatest hits is actually too much.

Magnum Valentino

Quote from: willbo on June 15, 2021, 06:50:41 AM
the 2 disc late 90s collection Sounds of Science was a pretty good set, containing some lesser known album tracks etc.

There's another that I always see in HMV with a Rubin-era photo on the front, but it looks awful.

Sounds of Science also has a fucking brilliant booklet, really nice package overall.

But aye, they're an albums band. Only two I struggle with are Hello Nasty (which is too long and feels it) and the debut (because it's shite).

purlieu

Beatles. Abba. Queen?
Madonna. GHV2 is as good as Immaculate Collection.
Quote from: willbo on June 15, 2021, 06:47:01 AM
I always thought the REM best ofs (at least the ones that cover the 90s) weren't good enough because they didn't have Drive (the opening track on automatic). I'm sure there's a few 80s REM tracks left of best ofs that I like. I do think their 90s-00s stuff is mostly ok enjoyed as a best of, other than Drive.
Yeah, you can't rely solely on compilations for the '90s, but the only major label era albums I like are Out of Time and Automatic, which means the In Time compilation covers all the other bases (apart from 'Leave', which is a sad omission). '80s-wise, the 1991 Best Of is an incredible run of songs, but there are lots of greats missing. I have the first three albums, and then the Best Of so I've got 'I Believe', 'Cuyahoga', 'The One I Love' and 'The End of the World' all in one easy accessible place.

Dusty Substance

Quote from: purlieu on June 14, 2021, 06:27:16 PM
Good shout on Faithless, some great singles but fucking hell what a boring set of albums.

Agreed. And if we're talking 90s/00s big beat, alt dance, down tempo, trip-hoppy kind of Greatest Hits, then see also Groove Armada and Fatboy Slim.

Totally disagree regarding the above about bjork. Her 2002 Greatest Hits is excellent but she's released more essential albums than non-essential.

Having a browse of my CDs and compilations by Destiny's Child and Mariah Carey (No.1s, compiling all their No. 1 singles from the American chart).

idunnosomename

Since Led Zeppelin never released singles donestically, they are just about the worst band for a hits album. Especially when their biggest hit is 8 minutes long.

ABBA I mean maybe? But from what I've listened to via streaming their albums are pretty good

Beatles. Abba. Queen?
Queen even have a GH III with stuff like Barcelona on it.

daf

Quote from: idunnosomename on June 15, 2021, 10:38:30 AM
ABBA I mean maybe? But from what I've listened to via streaming their albums are pretty good

ABBA's first few albums (up to, and including, Arrival) are a mix of classic singles and fun fluff filler. 1977's 'ABBA The Album' seemed to have been the turning point - where they started taking things seriously, and making all the tracks as strong as each other.

The album tracks from 1979's Voulez Vous : "As Good as New", "The King Has Lost His Crown", "If It Wasn't for the Nights" & "Kisses of Fire" - are actually better than the singles ("Chiquitita" / "I Have a Dream" etc.)

Brundle-Fly

Quote from: lazyhour on June 14, 2021, 08:14:45 PM
You'd need Do It Yourself pretty much in full though, wouldn't you?

I think D.I.Y. is a masterpiece, one of those albums as a teen that I played on a loop when it first got released. It's hard to get any perspective on it now. From the late eighties onwards, Ian Dury & The Blockheads only ever seem to play their singles and New Boots & Panties in their setlist. Dury had decided that's all the crowd wanted to hear; he was never very happy with any of his albums after the debut. I saw them perform live many times and they never played a single album track up until 1997 when Mr.Love Pants came out (which is indeed, a great album).

Maybe, it's Ian's lack of faith in his own material that has led me to this conclusion?

Dusty Substance

Quote from: Dusty Substance on June 12, 2021, 02:10:56 PM
The Sound of Girls Aloud: The Greatest Hits - More essential than oxygen

Actually, I'm taking this back. Not that TSOGA isn't essential, it is, but their 2007 studio album Tangled Up belongs in everyone's collection.

re: ABBA, Super Trouper (the album) and The Visitors are  both cracking albums.

willbo

Quote from: idunnosomename on June 15, 2021, 10:38:30 AM
Since Led Zeppelin never released singles donestically, they are just about the worst band for a hits album. Especially when their biggest hit is 8 minutes long.

I think any prog or prog style/era band is really. I don't think a 70s era Pink Floyd, Genesis or Yes best of would be much use to anyone either.

purlieu

I'm going to go against the grain here and suggest that Led Zeppelin's 1990 2CD compilation Remasters is actually a pretty good set. Yes, there are a few classics missing, but it does a far better job of providing a worthy overview than one could expect from such a set, and when it was the only Led Zep I had I listened to it far more often than any of the albums I bought later.

willbo

I think Remasters should have had "the Ocean" and maybe "what is and what should never be" over some of the slower songs (like Rain song or D'y'maker). The Ocean was the first one I thought "wow how come I never heard this on hits albums before?" Especially as it sounded so modern and RATM ish. I got into Led Zep with Remasters.

Seems like there's that style of anthology like the Beatles Red and Blue albums. Where they just try and give you an overview, some good tracks from every album, instead of hit singles.