Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 01:57:59 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Where a greatest hits album is enough

Started by Famous Mortimer, June 09, 2021, 10:15:11 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Quote from: willbo on June 16, 2021, 08:16:40 AM
What about best-ofs with peculiar track listings. Like Black Sabbath's "we sold our souls for rock and roll" in the 70s. One of their most big selling records until their later, more sensible best-ofs. But has a lot of random jams and obscure tracks.

I own this Dr Hook best of, which bizarrely doesn't contain Sylvia's Mother. It also looks like an absolute petrol station/WH Smiths typical CD based on all the design choices. The back cover in particular is a horror show.

I wondered in the weird track listing instances if it was a record company thing, but the Sabbath one you list contains a decent cross section of their classic albums.

Does anyone want to convince me to delve deeper into Dr Hook, because the best of didn't particularly.

purlieu

Quote from: drummersaredeaf on June 18, 2021, 05:28:33 PM
I own this Dr Hook best of, which bizarrely doesn't contain Sylvia's Mother. It also looks like an absolute petrol station/WH Smiths typical CD based on all the design choices. The back cover in particular is a horror show.
That reminds me of this Orbital abomination, put together by the label with no thought whatsoever.

There's a run of singles in the middle of it, but it also contains a number of album tracks, few of which are among their most loved tracks. Also a weird combination of radio edits and album versions.

I find bargain compilations like this a really fascinating phenomenon. The multiple incarnations of the same Tears for Fears set I mentioned on the other page are great, especially the totally unfitting names. Sometimes you'll get a "Best Of" compilation which looks like someone at the label has stuck the artist's discography into iTunes, put it on shuffle and picked the first 12 tracks.

Quote from: studpuppet on June 18, 2021, 06:15:24 PM
Only if you delve into this:

https://gawker.com/5981614/dennis-weve-been-crying-too-much-dr-hook-and-the-untold-story-of-the-best-rock-movie-ever-made

https://www.dailymotion.com/video/x6d8pql

I've read up to the bit talking about Sylvia's Mother and halted so I can watch the video myself. This seems amazing - much appreciated.

They did strike me as a novelty act and there's a few lines in that article that sums them up nicely. I'm not particularly into folky/country rock in any case, but I do have a fondness for some of the self deprecation and turns of phrase in their lyrics. I have no idea how I came to own the CD in the first place other than my dad listening to no more than about 3 different tapes in his van - these, Slade, Neil Diamond.

lazyhour

Just want to agree with earlier statements that The SM/Kicks LP "Pig Lib" is absolutely brilliant. Phenomenally intricate and melodic guitar playing throughout - and I'm not really a big guitar solo guy. Just a brilliant record.

I need to check out Wig Out!

SpiderChrist

Quote from: The Culture Bunker on June 15, 2021, 11:14:07 PM
Well, I certainly hope so, as the huge success of 'Songs From the Big Chair' must have surely meant Roland and (maybe, given he only got one co-write on the album) Curt never had to worry about money again.

If only. Never understood the love that Songs From The Big Chair gets.

the science eel

Dr Rock

I love Cheap Trick and have all their albums. However all the gold is on this double album 'Best Of'

Tracklist

1-1      ELO Kiddies (Single Version)   3:42
1-2      Hot Love   2:31
1-3      He's A Whore   2:44
1-4      Mandocello (Live)
1-5      Clock Strikes Ten   2:59
1-6      Southern Girls (Single Version)   3:35
1-7      Downed   4:11
1-8      Hello There   1:42
1-9      Surrender   4:15
1-10      California Man   3:44
1-11      High Roller   3:58
1-12      Auf Wiedersehen   3:42
1-13      I Want You To Want Me (Live)   3:43
1-14      Ain't That A Shame (Live)   5:17
1-15      Takin' Me Back   4:52
1-16      Dream Police   3:51
1-17      Voices   4:22
1-18      Gonna Raise Hell (Live)   9:06
2-1      Way Of The World   3:37
2-2      Stop This Game   3:57
2-3      World's Greatest Lover   4:51
2-4      Everything Works If You Let It (Full Version)   3:55
2-5      She's Tight   2:59
2-6      If You Want My Love (Alternate, Extra Bridge Version)   4:26
2-7      I Can't Take It   3:28
2-8      Tonight It's You   4:47
2-9      This Time Around   4:34
2-10      The Flame   5:38
2-11      Had To Make You Mine   3:16
2-12      I Can't Understand It   3:30
2-13      Can't Stop Fallin' Into Love   3:49
2-14      Walk Away
2-15      Woke Up With A Monster   4:54
2-16      Hard To Tell (Live)   3:45
2-17      Say Goodbye   3:29
2-18      Scent Of A Woman   4:48

Unless another Cheap Trick fan wants to say greatness what is missing

The Mollusk

I'm just thankful "Big Eyes" isn't on there. The way yer man sings the chorus, those two words could so easily be misconstrued as a horrific racial slur that it's now impossible for me to hear it any other way. I can't believe no one noticed it at the time. Also the song itself isn't that great.

Head Gardener

Nazareth - Greatest Hits
does what it says on the cover

Video Game Fan 2000

I don't think I could get Cheap Trick down to a single disk, but if I did it would be Samurai Rock Band over any of their studio stuff.

That best of doesn't have "Tax Man, Mr Thief" or "Daddy Should Have Stayed In High School"

idunnosomename

Quote from: drummersaredeaf on June 18, 2021, 05:28:33 PM

I wondered in the weird track listing instances if it was a record company thing, but the Sabbath one you list contains a decent cross section of their classic albums.
We Sold Our Souls was put out by the faltering NEMS after they acquired the bands back catalogue and quickly compiled without the knowledge of the band. Putting the meandering Warning on it is just weird.

I never got the impression that Blondie would have anything to offer except the famous hits. Am I wrong for only hearing a Best-of?

Famous Mortimer

I think that would be a solid choice.

Goldentony

that Cheap Trick set is real good but you could spend forever adding stuff, it's missing Taxman as mentioned and maybe more GLARINGLY is Stiff Competition

Dusty Substance

Best of Blondie is one of the best best ofs ever but Parallel Lines is a crucial requirement. Eat To The Beat is also a tip-top album.

Anyone said Adam & The Ants? Whole bunch of singles, never an essential studio album.

Goldentony

first Blondie best of I looked at didn't have In The Sun on, fucking DISQUALOFIED

the science eel

Yeah. Just get the debut. 'Rip Her To Shreds', 'In The Sun', 'X Offender', 'Kung Fu Girls' - a pack of joys.

Custard

The first five Blondie albums are all worth a look. Their imperial phase

The Hunter is where it goes a bit, well, shit

willbo

Stone Roses best of looks more essential than the debut album due to having classic singles? Maybe a fan can weigh in

DrGreggles

I'm assuming it has the pre and post 1st album singles too, but it should really just be Fool's Gold for an hour.

phantom_power

Quote from: Dusty Substance on June 21, 2021, 01:07:04 AM
Best of Blondie is one of the best best ofs ever but Parallel Lines is a crucial requirement. Eat To The Beat is also a tip-top album.

Anyone said Adam & The Ants? Whole bunch of singles, never an essential studio album.

Kings of the Wild Frontier is end-to-end great and there are some great non-singles on Prince Charming

DrGreggles

Yeah, Kings of the Wild Frontier is terrific.

willbo

Sabbath's "we sold our souls" bizarrely contains the ten minute jam/cover medley "Warning", the acoustic instrumental "Laguna Sunrise" (I love all Sabbath's chill-out instrumentals, but none of them need to be on a best-of), and the fairly minor/unpopular songs "Wicked World" and "am I going insane". That could have been enough space to fit on 5 more popular songs - Into the Void, Supernaut, Spiral Architect, etc. Luckily all recent compilations have a more sensible setlist.

Egyptian Feast

I seem to recall reading somewhere that the early albums were out of print when We Sold Our Souls was released, hence the heavy focus on the first couple of albums. My older brother had every album from vol 4 onwards and that comp (plus the one with the excellent Breughel sleeve).

Famous Mortimer

Quote from: Video Game Fan 2000 on June 19, 2021, 01:30:44 PM
I don't think I could get Cheap Trick down to a single disk, but if I did it would be Samurai Rock Band over any of their studio stuff.

That best of doesn't have "Tax Man, Mr Thief" or "Daddy Should Have Stayed In High School"
There's a bonus third disc from a 2010 re-release, and it still doesn't have any of the favourites that have been listed.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Essential_Cheap_Trick#Disc_3_(Limited_Edition_3.0_only)

Goldentony

Quote from: Egyptian Feast on June 21, 2021, 01:54:22 PM
I seem to recall reading somewhere that the early albums were out of print when We Sold Our Souls was released

this'll be why WE SOULD OUR SOULS is the most common charity shop Sabbath record then next to NEVER SAY DIE. Foster & Allen, Sound Of Music, Rose Marie, WE SOULD OUR SOULS FOR ROCK N ROLL