Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 29, 2024, 01:55:51 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Where a greatest hits album is enough

Started by Famous Mortimer, June 09, 2021, 10:15:11 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Egyptian Feast

WE SOILED OUR SOULS FOR ROCK N ROLL would be a good comp name for some bunch of depraved cunts, especially if they were from New Jersey.

I'm curious about Rick James having watched the Tales From The Tour Bus episodes about him recently. Is he someone that would be well served by one of the handful of comps available or are his albums worth checking out? I'm guessing Street Sounds is the classic, but he'd done a bunch of albums previously.

idunnosomename

Soiled arseholes for rock n roll

I agree you always see it in 2nd hand record shops. If the new label wanted to make money not sure why they didn't just reprint the albums first. Maybe the album art etc didnt come with the song rights. Thatd make sense

Golden E. Pump

Quote from: Egyptian Feast on June 22, 2021, 03:29:08 PM
WE SOILED OUR SOULS FOR ROCK N ROLL would be a good comp name for some bunch of depraved cunts, especially if they were from New Jersey.

I'm curious about Rick James having watched the Tales From The Tour Bus episodes about him recently. Is he someone that would be well served by one of the handful of comps available or are his albums worth checking out? I'm guessing Street Sounds is the classic, but he'd done a bunch of albums previously.

His debut with The Stone City Band and 'Garden of Love' are also strong albums. Rick James albums are usually about 35 minutes so they're worth exploring even if he never made a masterpiece.

lazyhour

When was the last time you saw a Black Sabbath LP in a charity shop??

willbo

Quote from: lazyhour on June 23, 2021, 09:46:27 PM

I saw Rainbow's double live album about 3 years ago

but yeah... I still remember seeing original Star Wars figures/vehicles in charity shops!

idunnosomename

I changed it to 2nd hand shop because you're lucky to find any good vinyl in charity shops since CDs became worthless. although I did see every Rainbow album in the Chiswick Oxfam a couple of years ago. of course Rising was like £25

Goldentony

Quote from: lazyhour on June 23, 2021, 09:46:27 PM

still see Sold Our Souls, Sabotage (maybe less than the others but sometimes) and Never Say Die a lot, loads in fact, heaps if you prefer

Goldentony

I AM NOT SOME LYING PERVERT WHO GOES ROUND DIRTY AULD SECOND HAND SHOPS PRETENDING IVE SEEN VOL 4

willbo

I don't think I've ever seen classic/famous rock records in a cheap charity shop
(as opposed to a posh Oxfam where they charge collector prices). I've only ever seen the James Last/Leo Sayer/Yodelling/Tijuana Brass types.

I used to go to a record shop in the late 90s that had Black Sabbath, Led Zep, Deep Purple, etc vinyl records for really cheap. Like £2/£3 for classic albums. I was actually thinking of trying to get a used record player then, because I thought it would be a cheap way for me to hear classic albums!

It's the same with Star Wars toys. In the late 80s everyone was throwing them away and charity shops were full of them. Now they're gold dust. I'm guessing they'll never be a modern equivalent, because by the 90s/00s everyone knew action figures of classic movies were "supposed" to be worth something one day. So there was no industry of parents buying tons of cheap Harry Potter figures and then giving them away when the fan got too old. They were sold as "something to keep" from day one.

phantom_power

Depends what you mean by "classic". I got More of The Monkees, Hard Day's Night and a couple of Carole King albums in a charity shop the other day for a couple of quid each

Brundle-Fly

Quote from: willbo on June 24, 2021, 09:25:27 AM

It's the same with Star Wars toys. In the late 80s everyone was throwing them away and charity shops were full of them. Now they're gold dust.

Without the packaging, surely not?  Mind you.

Utter Shit

Possibly controversial (?) but I think 2pac had a ton of great songs but never put out a classic album, certainly nothing on that elite tier alongside Illmatic, Ready To Die, Reasonable Doubt etc.

willbo

Quote from: Utter Shit on June 24, 2021, 11:00:41 AM
Possibly controversial (?) but I think 2pac had a ton of great songs but never put out a classic album, certainly nothing on that elite tier alongside Illmatic, Ready To Die, Reasonable Doubt etc.

I actually bought the 2 disc Tupac hits album about 15 years ago and was let down that it didn't have "holla" and a few more of his older, more classic hip hop tracks on it. I always meant to get his debut as well at some point.

Utter Shit

Yeah I love that album but it does have a few notable omissions (I'm not even a big fan of Straight Ballin' but it's weird that it isn't on there) and it's weird that they threw a couple of new tracks on there, even though I quite like all of them.

chveik

Quote from: Utter Shit on June 24, 2021, 11:00:41 AM

thoroughly agree with that but i doubt it's really controversial

SteveDave

Quote from: willbo on June 24, 2021, 09:25:27 AM
I don't think I've ever seen classic/famous rock records in a cheap charity shop

A few weeks ago I saw "Abbey Road", "Station To Station", "Kimono My House" and "Easter" in a charity shop in Stoke Newington. All for under £10 too.

Utter Shit

Quote from: chveik on June 24, 2021, 02:32:31 PM
thoroughly agree with that but i doubt it's really controversial

Possibly not, you used to hear Me Against The World mentioned in the same discussion as those classics I mentioned but not so much nowadays.

chveik

Quote from: Utter Shit on June 24, 2021, 02:50:05 PM
Possibly not, you used to hear Me Against The World mentioned in the same discussion as those classics I mentioned but not so much nowadays.

that's the problem with Tupac, insanely talented rapper but he wasn't very good at choosing the best beats.

sutin

I don't think i've ever bought a record from a charity shop apart from a Belfast Oxfam that had a collection of Helen Love, Bis, Slampt and Kenickie vinyl about a decade ago.

Video Game Fan 2000

Egyptian Feast

Quote from: Golden E. Pump on June 22, 2021, 11:06:06 PM
His debut with The Stone City Band and 'Garden of Love' are also strong albums. Rick James albums are usually about 35 minutes so they're worth exploring even if he never made a masterpiece.

This was an excellent recommendation. I haven't got around to Street Songs yet as I'm having too much fun with these two. The first listen was a fun, brain-wracking game of 'who sampled this bit?'

willbo

Placebo's greatest hits is probably a nice set of highlights compared to all the albums

purlieu

It misses the two wonderful album closers 'Peeping Tom' and 'Centrefolds' (always felt Placebo did atmospheric slow numbers really well), but otherwise the A Place for Us to Dream 2CD set probably covers all their best tracks. I do have a soft spot for the debut, but in general their albums are really uneven.

Jockice

Quote from: purlieu on July 03, 2021, 12:47:56 AM
It misses the two wonderful album closers 'Peeping Tom' and 'Centrefolds' (always felt Placebo did atmospheric slow numbers really well), but otherwise the A Place for Us to Dream 2CD set probably covers all their best tracks. I do have a soft spot for the debut, but in general their albums are really uneven.

I like Brick Shithouse. Can't think why they didn't put that out as a single.

Dusty Substance

Ellie Goulding's released four studio albums to date, none of which are amazing (Halcyon Days, the extended edition of her second album is her best) but she's released enough decent singles that an eventual Greatest Hits will be well worth getting.

willbo

Quote from: Jockice on July 03, 2021, 12:12:28 PM
I like Brick Shithouse. Can't think why they didn't put that out as a single.

I like Scared of Girls, though it reminds me a lot of Smashing Pumpkin's Jellybelly which is another fave song of mine. I suppose they're both influenced by some older alt rock song I'm not cool enough to know.

PeterCornelius

A few years ago, I would have said XTC and The Kinks. Once I had Village Green Preservation Society, I realised that I was missing out. Same with XTC - thought Fossil Fuel was plenty, then heard Black Sea, followed by Skylarking and never looked back.

As far as bands/artists where a greatest hits is sufficient:

Elvis (although I do have a morbid curiosity about his 60s stuff...)
The Carpenters
Abba
Human League
The Police

Dusty Substance

Elvis - From Elvis In Memphis (1969), That's The Way It Is (1970) are both excellent
The Carpenters - Good choice. Their Singles collection is a brilliant Best Of
Abba - Nope. The Visitors and Super Trouper are wonderful studio albums
Human League - The biggest "NO" ever. Dare should be in everybody's record collection
The Police - I'm not a huge fan but there are some weird and idiosyncratic songs on some of their albums that you wouldn't hear on a Greatest Hits

phantom_power

The Best of Bread. Does anyone need any more?

Dusty Substance

Quote from: phantom_power on July 04, 2021, 02:15:46 PM
The Best of Bread. Does anyone need any more?

Nope. That's the only record I own by them.