Main Menu

Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 29, 2024, 12:00:49 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Andrew Lawrence

Started by chrispmartha, June 10, 2021, 07:08:32 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

peanutbutter

Quote from: Phoenix Lazarus on June 13, 2021, 08:41:45 PM
He doesn't seem like someone who is naturally funny, to say the least.[nb]Yeah, I know: look who's talking![/nb]
That's what I mean, he got a bit more encouragement than he perhaps warranted based on just being a bit of a weird guy in the right way at the right time.

sevendaughters

I enjoyed that Milk Run clip posted upthread in a knock-off Blue Jam meets Vic Reeves House Arrest way. Shame for the lad, you hate to see it, etc.

Quote from: sevendaughters on June 13, 2021, 09:24:29 PM
I enjoyed that Milk Run clip posted upthread in a knock-off Blue Jam meets Vic Reeves House Arrest way. Shame for the lad, you hate to see it, etc.

I liked the music better than the bits with him speaking.

BlodwynPig

Yes, it was just nasty. The payoff limp. I cringed. 4/10 for the attempt

sevendaughters

hah I didn't get to the end, I liked the prose style in the bit I listened to

Mr Banlon

Quote from: BlodwynPig on June 13, 2021, 01:44:09 PM
Lovely selection of RACIST CUNTS in the comments.
"Croatia, a team made up entirely of people actually from that Country, not taking a knee and have arguably the best football strip in the world, that's my team in 2021 as an Englishman."
The Croatian team is mostly ethnic Croats ? I wonder how that happened.

"Should start a chant to free Derek Chauvin"
As if to prove their point

"Nothing compares to the England teams of Italia '90 through to France'98. There was passion, tenacity, blood and a roller coaster of emotions!!"
And they won fuck-all.

"Sold your freedom for a game of football and a pint, get your papers out papers out now or of to the transition with you (Yes master we Oby)"
What ?

"Are there any indigenous anglo boys in the english side? Genuine question."
You could look at the team sheet, or maybe measure their skulls.

JCR

Quote from: peanutbutter on June 13, 2021, 09:19:11 PM
That's what I mean, he got a bit more encouragement than he perhaps warranted based on just being a bit of a weird guy in the right way at the right time.

I saw one of his Edinburgh shows at the point where the industry still bought him as a potential panel show star, he clearly had talent doing silly accents & observational material with an aggressive edge. But it also looked like he didn't enjoy it.

Pink Gregory

Lol @ indigenous anglos

better not be any celt, saxon, norman or viking in *my* team

TheGingerAlien

Quote from: An tSaoi on June 10, 2021, 01:55:34 PM
So that's two brown-eyed redheads. Are there any more?

By internet racist logic, I think having brown eyes makes him non-white.

Stick me on the list too, thanks.  Creepy-eyed ginge, reporting for ridicule. Same as it ever was. "Redhead girls are fit though!"  YAWN.

phantom_power

There seems to be a big thing about English as an ethnicity at the moment. It is basically a way of denigrating black or asian English nationals when they can't tell them to go back where they came from. Technically English is an ethnicity but it is basically pointless as you would need to trace your family tree back dozens of generations to prove you were of that ethnicity, and the only people who care about it are racist cunts

Kankurette

Quote from: Mr Banlon on June 14, 2021, 01:48:52 PM
"Croatia, a team made up entirely of people actually from that Country, not taking a knee and have arguably the best football strip in the world, that's my team in 2021 as an Englishman."
The Croatian team is mostly ethnic Croats ? I wonder how that happened.

"Should start a chant to free Derek Chauvin"
As if to prove their point

"Nothing compares to the England teams of Italia '90 through to France'98. There was passion, tenacity, blood and a roller coaster of emotions!!"
And they won fuck-all.

"Sold your freedom for a game of football and a pint, get your papers out papers out now or of to the transition with you (Yes master we Oby)"
What ?

"Are there any indigenous anglo boys in the english side? Genuine question."
You could look at the team sheet, or maybe measure their skulls.
Football fans and their constant obsession with PASHUN make me stabby. As if the current England team are soulless robots, as if people weren't having ALL OF THE FEELZ about England last WC. Likewise the racism. What do they do when, as happened against Croatia, a black player scores? Does he suddenly become white?

Also, did they forget John Barnes, Ian Wright, Andy Cole, Sol Campbell and all the other black players of the '90s? Or when Graham Taylor stood up for Barnes when fans were abusing him?

The Culture Bunker

Quote from: Kankurette on June 14, 2021, 03:01:36 PMAlso, did they forget John Barnes, Ian Wright, Andy Cole, Sol Campbell and all the other black players of the '90s? Or when Graham Taylor stood up for Barnes when fans were abusing him?
"The Boys of '66 were all white. Coincidence? I'll let you make up your own mind!"

Mr Banlon

Quote from: The Culture Bunker on June 14, 2021, 03:14:26 PM
"The Boys of '66 were all white. Coincidence? I'll let you make up your own mind!"
Beat a 10 man Argentina after a dubious red card for Argentina's Rattin in the quarter final.
England's third goal in the final wasn't a goal, and the 'they think it's all over' clincher was scored after the West German team had stopped bothering to play. (Play should have been stopped as fans were reportedly on the playing field.)
Fucking cheats.

Kankurette

England also got owned by a fat Argentinian midget in the '80s.

phantom_power

i.e. when I was young enough to give a shit and hadn't become a soulless husk from years of petty hatred and envy

mippy

Everyone forgets that period when England qualified for nothing, but I suppose they were all pretending to be Irish and there are absolutely no black people in Ireland at all, so they get to keep their 'indigenous' credentials.

Mr Banlon

Quote from: phantom_power on June 14, 2021, 02:41:32 PM
There seems to be a big thing about English as an ethnicity at the moment. It is basically a way of denigrating black or asian English nationals when they can't tell them to go back where they came from. Technically English is an ethnicity but it is basically pointless as you would need to trace your family tree back dozens of generations to prove you were of that ethnicity, and the only people who care about it are racist cunts
A bunch of ethnic English find out they aren't. https://www.thedossier.info/video/100-percent-english.htm

Barry Admin

Quote from: Mr Banlon on June 14, 2021, 05:19:51 PM
A bunch of ethnic English find out they aren't. https://www.thedossier.info/video/100-percent-english.htm

Looks interesting, will try to watch that later. Funnily enough, I'm just reading up about the Spanish Armada in Ireland at the minute - https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Spanish_Armada_in_Ireland think it will likely explain my dark eyes and hair. The locals would always speak Spanish to my Granny when she went on holiday.

Anyway yeah, still wouldn't change the mind of racists if they knew this stuff, they'd just handwave it away somehow.

His most popular video is this rant on the Indian COVID variant - 142k views, 2.7k comments:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HUrE-h-Kveo

Comments are a shitshow of conspiracy theorists who are watching and agreeing with no sense of irony. It's Al's Pub landlord x100. Top three comments:

"A genuinely deadly pandemic wouldn't require a 24/7 Govt and corporate media fear mongering campaign to make you believe it's real.🙄"
"I feel like im in an abusive relationship with the government."
"Well said."

Mr Banlon

"6uild 6ack 6etter they've noticed we've seen the 666, so now it's 6uild 6ack 9reener, they've turned the last 6 upside down hoping they've fooled us."

imitationleather

I really miss the team England took to USA '94.

The Culture Bunker

Quote from: imitationleather on June 14, 2021, 06:35:29 PM
I really miss the team England took to USA '94.
Probably just say that enough of the Irish squad (and the manager) were born in England to count.

Quote from: Smeraldina Rima on June 12, 2021, 12:10:46 PM
Milk Run was one of the things he did that people liked (me included). It's on youtube: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TDSagYgc84c

I really like that song Terminally Ambivalent to You, near the start of of part two of that.

Benjaminos

Quote from: Antiseptic Poetry on June 14, 2021, 05:32:21 PM
His most popular video is this rant on the Indian COVID variant - 142k views, 2.7k comments:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HUrE-h-Kveo

I'm genuinely confused by these videos. Is the joke just 'haha, this is what a cunt would say'? I'm guessing so, given the name of the 'character', but how does that jibe with his audience presumably being the kind of anti-woke free speech nutters who (presumably) actually share quite a large proportion of those views?

If it's not that, then there are literally no jokes in the video? I don't get it.

Edit: Oh, I see I've just basically rephrased the OP. Not just me then, ok.

I think Jonathan Pie is the same sort of thing and maybe to blame.

JCR

I'm reminded by this that Lawrence filmed a set for series 2 of the Alternative Comedy Experience that was never used. In the finished show the comics set was intercut with footage of the comedian being interviewed by Stewart Lee, a real shame we'll never see whatever was shot of Lee interviewing Lawrence, as it's a good bet it was awkward as fuck.

phantom_power

Quote from: Barry Admin on June 14, 2021, 05:28:21 PM

Anyway yeah, still wouldn't change the mind of racists if they knew this stuff, they'd just handwave it away somehow.

Yeah the ethnic English thing has just come about so that they can be racist to English-born non-white people without being 100% overtly racist. If it wasn't that it would be something about English "mentality" or "spirit" or some other bullshit

He posted this just an hour ago under a character I've not seen before, Dr Gideon Micropenis, as a 'satire' against woke academics.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qmnwUtR6tm4

sevendaughters

Quote from: Phoenix Lazarus on June 15, 2021, 09:56:27 AM
He posted this just an hour ago under a character I've not seen before, Dr Gideon Micropenis, as a 'satire' against woke academics.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qmnwUtR6tm4

this one is on his rolodex of characters, definitely seen something before. In fact I played it to a couple of fellow academics and we all had to put cold creams on each other's rumps after being roasted so hard.

Utter Shit

The problem is, as shit as this stuff all is, if you look at the views on Youtube it's clearly a path that works for him.

He's not getting big numbers or anything, but at a rough estimate I'd say he's probably getting five times' more views on Youtube than he was when he was doing his earlier stuff. Around 250k views in the past week alone. The one he released yesterday has been more viewed more in 24 hours than most of his videos have got in years.

He can knock any old shit out as long as it panders to that crowd, because they're not watching him demanding he be funny, just that he say things they agree with. Whether that transfers to ticket sales I don't know.