Main Menu

Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 18, 2024, 02:54:57 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Andrew Lawrence

Started by chrispmartha, June 10, 2021, 07:08:32 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

idunnosomename

I mean if you don't mind pandering to people who are so overtly racist they think there shouldn't be any black people in the English football team.

sevendaughters

Quote from: Utter Shit on June 15, 2021, 10:12:38 AM
He can knock any old shit out as long as it panders to that crowd, because they're not watching him demanding he be funny, just that he say things they agree with. Whether that transfers to ticket sales I don't know.

I think it keeps him at about the same level, funnily enough. He played the Bromsgrove Artrix pre-lockdown, tickets were still available but by no means empty. He's on the Middle England arts centres route with Henning Wehn and Geoff Norcross.

Brundle-Fly

Quote from: Smeraldina Rima on June 15, 2021, 12:36:55 AM
I think Jonathan Pie is the same sort of thing and maybe to blame.

He's definitely been an influence on Lawrence but he doesn't seem nearly as extreme.

dissolute ocelot

The problem is, as shit as this stuff all is, if you look at the views on Youtube it's clearly a path that works for him.

He's not getting big numbers or anything, but at a rough estimate I'd say he's probably getting five times' more views on Youtube than he was when he was doing his earlier stuff. Around 250k views in the past week alone. The one he released yesterday has been more viewed more in 24 hours than most of his videos have got in years.
Allegedly you can make about £2-£8 per 1000 Youtube views (big stars get paid the higher end, and it probably depends on your demographics) so that's £500+ per week. I guess it's better than the dole?

thenoise

Quote from: Smeraldina Rima on June 15, 2021, 12:36:55 AM
I think Jonathan Pie is the same sort of thing and maybe to blame.

Yes! He's the right wing Pie. Telling it 'like it is' through a character with a silly name and calling it comedy.

Barry Admin

Isn't Pie the right wing Pie?

He's actually onto a winner with these character videos. 1m views in the past 30 days and 200 new subscribers per day. Possibly earning $4k per month

https://socialblade.com/youtube/channel/UC876yBInncBfsiknqMdHvuA

Look at the stats for his channel before May, it was dead.

Brundle-Fly

Quote from: Barry Admin on June 15, 2021, 11:44:57 AM

From the several videos I've watched of Pie, he seems to take a pop at the Government as much as the Left. I could be wrong though.

Thursday

Quote from: Barry Admin on June 15, 2021, 11:44:57 AM

He's the centrist dad/common sense/I'm a labour voter but the left have gone too "woke" pie.

So yeah he is right-wing but he wouldn't think of himself as right-wing.

Harry Badger

Quote from: Antiseptic Poetry on June 14, 2021, 05:32:21 PM

Comments are a shitshow of conspiracy theorists who are watching and agreeing with no sense of irony. It's Al's Pub landlord x100.

Funny you should mention him. There was a doc on Sky a few years back following Lawrence's fall from grace. One scene had him watching a video of his own show, with Al Murray sitting beside him. Murray was cackling along with it for a while, before Lawrence made a joke that was a little bit dicey. All of a sudden, Murray switched to 'serious, disapproving look' as though he couldn't be seen to be laughing at it. Mind, he also commiserated Lawrence, saying 'if you're taking flak, you're over the target'.

The Culture Bunker

Quote from: Thursday on June 15, 2021, 01:52:26 PM
He's the centrist dad/common sense/I'm a labour voter but the left have gone too "woke" pie.
Ah, yes - the "something must be done about this, but only if it doesn't affect my cosy lifestyle" stance?

Brundle-Fly

Quote from: Thursday on June 15, 2021, 01:52:26 PM

So yeah he is right-wing but he wouldn't think of himself as right-wing.

Barry Admin

Quote from: Brundle-Fly on June 15, 2021, 02:40:13 PM

I thought Thursday's description was bang on, and nailed it in a way I couldn't describe. A lot of other posters would be better placed to answer your post, but the way I feel is basically that the actual left has been redefined as the "far left."

There are an awful lot of bigots who will add "...and I'm left wing!" to the end of their rants, while clearly being nothing of the sort.

Edit: sorry, I started replying before you edited.

ASFTSN

Do people watch this bloke's stuff and laugh together? I know it's a cheap stereotype, but I can't picture it, it just seems like humour to eject a puff of air through your nostrils to. Alone.

Brundle-Fly

Quote from: Barry Admin on June 15, 2021, 02:50:34 PM
I thought Thursday's description was bang on, and nailed it in a way I couldn't describe. A lot of other posters would be better placed to answer your post, but the way I feel is basically that the actual left has been redefined as the "far left."

There are an awful lot of bigots who will add "...and I'm left wing!" to the end of their rants, while clearly being nothing of the sort.

Edit: sorry, I started replying before you edited.

I deleted my post, Barry, because I define right-wing very differently from how some people do today, so I'm on a hiding to nothing to add anything here.

Barry Admin

Yeah I'd be interested to hear how you would define it?

Brundle-Fly

Barry Admin

Right-wing. Fair play if you don't want to tho, was just curious as to the disparity.

Lisa Jesusandmarychain

[just gonna remove this pointless racism to avoid having to read the reports later -BAdmin]

Barry Admin

Brundle-Fly

Quote from: Barry Admin on June 15, 2021, 05:25:47 PM
Right-wing. Fair play if you don't want to tho, was just curious as to the disparity.

Cheers. I prefer to have these conversations over a pint.

Anyway, tell us a joke ffs Andrew!

Lisa Jesusandmarychain

I was quoting from the most recently posted Andrew Lawrence video. Was also going to write a comment underneath about how the unfunny little snot is no better than Roy " Chubby" Brown with comments like that, the context in which it's made , in common with his other videos, is extremely ambiguous as to whether he's hilariously and very cleverly satirising those somewhat unpleasant views, or are actually his own beliefs which he is able to get out there with impressive comedy voices,  and delightedly wanks off to the approving comments he gets from the racists and reactionaries what take those comments at 100% face value. I just thought I'd let the actual quote speak for itself, but that seems to have been an unwise move.

He was good in " Ideal", though.

Barry Admin

Sorry, I didn't recognise that as I haven't seen it, and it looked very bad out of context. Thanks for explaining.

Apologies again.

Lisa Jesusandmarychain

Yeah, no worries Barry. Really can't blame you for not bothering to look at the video, quite the sensible option, really.

jobotic

Spiked's Jonathan Pie? Wasn't he co-created by whoever does Titania McGrath (which I thought was Andrew Lawrence)?

Barry Admin

Yeah, that's Andrew Doyle though.

Quote from: Lisa Jesusandmarychain on June 15, 2021, 06:27:26 PM
Yeah, no worries Barry. Really can't blame you for not bothering to look at the video, quite the sensible option, really.

Well I had to go and watch it now, didn't I :-D

Bloody hell, what a piece of shit. You almost think he's gonna surprise you, there, when he blames the government for their reluctance to put India on the red list...

..Then he blames it on inclusiveness and globalism! Is he fucking stupid, or does he really just knowingly pander to cunts? That's what really intrigues me. Is he another pillock who's been radicalised by Twitter, or is he just saying shit he knows is bollocks to flog tickets and appeal to hateful pricks?

India wasn't put on the red list for ages because of his fucking fans - all the tedious, little Englander racists who voted for Brexit now leave the UK absolutely gasping for a fucking trade deal with India, which is going to end up with Modi asking for - tada - more free movement rather than less.

So fucking slap that right up ye, cunts.

("Delta variant" is the video being discussed.)

Kankurette

Quote from: jobotic on June 15, 2021, 06:35:31 PM
Spiked's Jonathan Pie? Wasn't he co-created by whoever does Titania McGrath (which I thought was Andrew Lawrence)?
Andrew Doyle. I made that mistake too initially!

Tokyo van Ramming

Quote from: Kankurette on June 15, 2021, 06:44:35 PM
Andrew Doyle. I made that mistake too initially!

Yeah, the Andrew Doyle who now has his own show on GB News.

JCR

The problem is, as shit as this stuff all is, if you look at the views on Youtube it's clearly a path that works for him.

He's not getting big numbers or anything, but at a rough estimate I'd say he's probably getting five times' more views on Youtube than he was when he was doing his earlier stuff. Around 250k views in the past week alone. The one he released yesterday has been more viewed more in 24 hours than most of his videos have got in years.

He can knock any old shit out as long as it panders to that crowd, because they're not watching him demanding he be funny, just that he say things they agree with. Whether that transfers to ticket sales I don't know.

Is it really a problem, ultimately who cares? He's burned his bridges with the mainstream, you're not going to have to see him on telly or anything. Yes it's ironic he's claiming to be the voice of the dispossessed working class when his audience is middle age and middle class, but there's a lot of that in comedy (say, Josie Long or Mark Thomas slamming public schools when they probably know a significant chunk of their Edinburgh audiences went to public school)

I don't think Lawrence is as offensive as say, Jimmy Carr, punching down when he's as establishment as it gets and is playing to thousands every night.