Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 29, 2024, 01:08:43 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Hancock's Committee Half-Hour (or more)

Started by Fambo Number Mive, June 10, 2021, 07:50:55 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Fambo Number Mive

He's appearing in front of the Science and Technology and Health and Social Care committees from 9.30am to answer questions about his handling of the coronavirus pandemic

Zetetic

Wonder if this will get bogged down in stuff about hospital discharges, rather than why social care staff were so vulnerable and prone to spreading.

SpiderChrist

Fambo Number Mive

QuoteGreg Clark, the Chair of the Science and Technology Committee opened the session.

He says that Dominic Cummings has not yet sent his written evidence to the Committee to substantiate his claims against Matt Hancock.

He asks Hancock if he ever said anything to the prime minister which wasn't true.

"No," Matt Hancock replies.

"Everybody got the Covid treatment that they needed," he states, "there was no point at which I was advised people did not get the treatment they needed."

"Getting hold of PPE was always a huge challenge," he states "but there was never a point at which NHS providers could not get hold of PPE."..."My whole approach has been a team effort - you can't respond to a pandemic by pointing fingers," he says.

The buck stops with you and your fellow ministers, Hancock. It's not "pointing fingers", it's holding you accountable. What did the  think he was being paid so much for?

Hancock's been accused of lying by an unnamed eyewitness over PPE: https://www.mirror.co.uk/news/politics/matt-hancock-lied-crucial-ppe-24213140

Zetetic

No questions about theft of testing supplies from other parts of the UK so far?

jobotic

Pointless. He'll just bullshit and there are no consequences for any of them. If there were he'd already be inside for theft of public funds. And that's without the deaths.

Look at the government reaction the judgement that Gove acted illegally. They lie about the judgement.

jobotic

Here's a record of his lies

https://twitter.com/doctor_oxford/status/1402875198148333570?

But so what? Someone took down a picture of the queen

Fambo Number Mive

Some weird robot noise just now as Hancock is speaking. Is he malfunctioning?

Fambo Number Mive

Some more pies from Hancock:

QuoteHealth Secretary Matt Hancock was asked an initial question about access to personal protective equipment (PPE).

"There was never a point at which NHS providers couldn't get access to PPE," he said, citing a report on the subject from the National Audit Office (NAO).

But the report actually said that "government structures were overwhelmed in March 2020" and that while the government did then set up structures to obtain PPE, that "it took a long time for it to receive the large volumes of PPE ordered".

"There were further difficulties with distribution to providers and many front-line workers reported experiencing shortages of PPE as a result," the report concluded.

It also said: "The initial focus on the NHS meant adult social care providers felt particularly unsupported."

Talking out of his arse again. He should be ashamed to sit there with his little NHS badge on talking all this rubbish. Probably can't wait to get back to watching horse racing or jogging.

monkfromhavana

How can democracy function when the Government and the media collude to such an extent that ministers can lie and steal with impunity, gerrymander boundaries so they're unlikely to lose their seat in any future election and refuse to ever stand down?

Fambo Number Mive

QuoteMy dad was going to work wearing gloves and a scarf as PPE.

https://twitter.com/LBC/status/1402973477578158094

QuoteHere is a graph in the same report Hancock cites. It shows how in April and May there was virtually nothing left for centrally held stock of gowns and face masks.

https://twitter.com/lewis_goodall/status/1402957091439063048

Shoulders?-Stomach!

Quote"I'm a sodden miserable piece of dogshit that sleeps on the bones of derelict babies and I suck at all forms of administration so badly that the baby thing is actually the lesser of the two issues, and I'm ugly and shit and I should be put in a car crusher in front of a live laughing audience and have a cereal named after me so people can crunch my face for pleasure"

Nothing if not insightful on this occasion.

Fambo Number Mive

QuoteBut Mr Rees-Mogg replied: "There's a great line from Dr [Samuel] Johnson, that in lapidary inscriptions [engravings in stone] a man is not on oath.

"And I think the same applies to text messages, which are essentially the trivia, the flotsam and jetsam, the ephemera of life, and they're fundamentally unimportant."

He praised the plan agreed at last weekend's G7 summit in Cornwall to distribute one billion Covid vaccines to poorer nations, lauding Mr Hancock's role in arranging the UK's contribution "so successfully".

He called his cabinet colleague "the brilliant, the one and only successful genius who has been running health over the last 15 months", adding that "he has done so much to make not only the country but the world safer".

I'm sure Mr Rees-Mogg will stick to his view that text messages are "fundamentally unimportant" the next time a text message that the Tories can use to power their culture war or makes a Labour figure look bad becomes newsworthy.