Author Topic: Poodog  (Read 1518 times)

Shoulders?-Stomach!

• Silver Member
  • 🔱8️⃣0️⃣0️⃣8️⃣7️⃣3️⃣5️⃣5️⃣🔱
    • http://jackanderton.jamendo.net/
Re: Poodog
« Reply #30 on: June 10, 2021, 06:03:02 PM »
It's good to know that views on business ethics hinge on how tasty their beers are.

« Reply #31 on: June 10, 2021, 07:27:02 PM »
I'd have punk IPA over a lager

Same here til I started fucking with Franconian lager. Greatest beer going, no kidding. Join the BEERS thread and get an absolute stork on for Framconio.

« Reply #32 on: June 10, 2021, 07:44:07 PM »
Been to a couple in London over the years with Scottish beer mate who had shares. Wonder what he makes of all this. Always hated that "punk" crap. So dangerous.

It's a too hippy for me but I did have a nice dark lager that wasn't one of theirs.

Not going to be difficult to boycott them, but I hope Mr Paulaner and Mr Perla don't turn out to be cunts.

Sebastian Cobb

• bad opinion haver
« Reply #33 on: June 10, 2021, 07:53:04 PM »

canadagoose

• inoperable brain bum hole
« Reply #34 on: June 10, 2021, 07:57:05 PM »
Punk capitalism, yay. I thought their pub in Aberdeen was quite neat when it first opened, but the owners are clearly arseholes so I can't be bothered with them now. Mostly hoppy rubbish anyway, not to my taste.

« Reply #35 on: June 10, 2021, 08:02:44 PM »
The shares weren't proper shares really, more a membership scheme:
https://www.reddit.com/r/UKPersonalFinance/comments/k5z5wk/brewdog_equity_for_punks_your_thoughts_experiences/

Fair enough. I seem to remember he go money off at the bar or something.

Sebastian Cobb

• bad opinion haver
« Reply #36 on: June 10, 2021, 08:13:27 PM »
Punk capitalism, yay. I thought their pub in Aberdeen was quite neat when it first opened, but the owners are clearly arseholes so I can't be bothered with them now. Mostly hoppy rubbish anyway, not to my taste.

It was interesting when they took over the Machar.

Had you left Aberdeen when they took over Snafu and the bar above it? I went there for a northern soul night and I can't say the options of Punk IPA or gin were a good fit, would've prefered a tin of the old faithful Red Stripe.

kngen

• Fighting sleep's deathlike grip
« Reply #37 on: June 10, 2021, 08:15:32 PM »
The shares weren't proper shares really, more a membership scheme:
https://www.reddit.com/r/UKPersonalFinance/comments/k5z5wk/brewdog_equity_for_punks_your_thoughts_experiences/

Well, I invested[1] at the start, and my 100 quid's worth of shares are now worth about five grand. I feel it's a case of extremely diminishing returns since then though.

Had been waiting for the IPO before I sold up, but can't imagine that'll be happening anytime soon, given this publicity - so might have to sell and invest in something more ethical like Raytheon.
 1. Yep, I was a sucker for their bollocks, and I met the two of them and, at the time, couldn't for a second believe they'd be capable of all the shite they've been responsible for since

canadagoose

« Reply #38 on: June 10, 2021, 08:18:24 PM »
It was interesting when they took over the Machar.

Had you left Aberdeen when they took over Snafu and the bar above it? I went there for a northern soul night and I can't say the options of Punk IPA or gin were a good fit, would've prefered a tin of the old faithful Red Stripe.
I remember it happening, but I was never in there. That was during my big JSA stint and being permanently broke (I was 22 so I got the crappy £53 per week rate or whatever). I remember Snafu though!

Edit: when you said the Machar, I panicked and thought you meant the St Machar Bar in Old Aberdeen. I quite like it. There's a dog.

Sebastian Cobb

• bad opinion haver
« Reply #39 on: June 10, 2021, 08:18:46 PM »
Well, I invested[1] at the start, and my 100 quid's worth of shares are now worth about five grand. I feel it's a case of extremely diminishing returns since then though.

Had been waiting for the IPO before I sold up, but can't imagine that'll be happening anytime soon, given this publicity - so might have to sell and invest in something more ethical like Raytheon.
 1. Yep, I was a sucker for their bollocks, and I met the two of them and, at the time, couldn't for a second believe they'd be capable of all the shite they've been responsible for since

Still, 5 grand. Fair play tbh.

Sebastian Cobb

• bad opinion haver
« Reply #40 on: June 10, 2021, 08:19:34 PM »
I remember it happening, but I was never in there. That was during my big JSA stint and being permanently broke (I was 22 so I got the crappy £53 per week rate or whatever). I remember Snafu though!
:(

Snafu was alright. I really liked Kef and was gutted when it got turned into a hotel.

Sebastian Cobb

• bad opinion haver
« Reply #41 on: June 10, 2021, 08:23:52 PM »
I remember it happening, but I was never in there. That was during my big JSA stint and being permanently broke (I was 22 so I got
Edit: when you said the Machar, I panicked and thought you meant the St Machar Bar in Old Aberdeen. I quite like it. There's a dog.

The St Machar is an ok bar. I spent the bulk of my time in Aberdeen living around Sunnybank, so know it well. When my housemate got a dog I tended to pop in and have a couple after giving her a run in Seaton Park. I tended to drink in The Red Lion (beastie), which was a great bar despite looking a bit scary.

canadagoose

« Reply #42 on: June 10, 2021, 08:49:45 PM »
The St Machar is an ok bar. I spent the bulk of my time in Aberdeen living around Sunnybank, so know it well. When my housemate got a dog I tended to pop in and have a couple after giving her a run in Seaton Park. I tended to drink in The Red Lion (beastie), which was a great bar despite looking a bit scary.
I was only ever in the Red Lion once, but I was 18 and really nervous so I didn't fit in. Now that I'm in my thirties and "fair forfochen" I might fit in better. Maybe I'll try it next time I'm up.

Sebastian Cobb

• bad opinion haver
« Reply #43 on: June 10, 2021, 09:00:13 PM »
I was only ever in the Red Lion once, but I was 18 and really nervous so I didn't fit in. Now that I'm in my thirties and "fair forfochen" I might fit in better. Maybe I'll try it next time I'm up.

I think from what you've said in the past you're more-or-less ages with me (34), which probably means you must've visited back when it still had the 'games' tables with under-table shelves for holding pints below the table when playing dominoes etc. They did away with them by the time I drank in them proper, more's the pity!

It has changed hands a couple of times since. From what I've heard it's a young guy running it now who has managed to strike a balance and get younger people/students in while not alienating the older locals.

I was up for a wedding in 2019 in the University chapel, which despite being a student, had never been in before, and had to nip out of the wedding in the afternoon to check in to a hotel so took a wee detour and it was dead, had a brief chat with one of the locals and the guy running it, seemed like a decent guy.

Consignia

• Deviant
  • Silver Member
  • 호랑이가 피자를 요리합니다
« Reply #44 on: June 10, 2021, 09:27:56 PM »
Same here til I started fucking with Franconian lager. Greatest beer going, no kidding. Join the BEERS thread and get an absolute stork on for Framconio.

To be fair, when I said lager I did mean the mass produced fodder. I'm actually quite partial to some of the beers from the European shelves.

Good shout on beers thread, I will have a peruse.

FerriswheelBueller

• CaB rear of the year 2020
  • Silver Member
  • Take it easy, but take it.
    • I am antsy for baseball in the off-season.
« Reply #45 on: June 10, 2021, 10:57:07 PM »

I bought a fiver’s worth when they first arrived in Edinburgh in 2011 (?), maybe that’s actually worth figuring out how I get my cash back.

Sebastian Cobb

• bad opinion haver
« Reply #46 on: June 10, 2021, 10:59:14 PM »
Gonna be so jealous if you've made a small fortune out of these wankers.

My grim brewdog story is I got shitfaced one evening and met someone in a rock club who was also shitfaced (having been to a brewdog conference) and we exchanged numbers to go on a date afterwards, it turned out we both had the goggles on and her son was only a few years younger than me. We just about managed to get through a pint of stilted conversation before finding our excuses. It was very awkward.

touchingcloth

« Reply #47 on: June 10, 2021, 11:06:24 PM »
Punk just tastes of hops. What am I missing?

Sebastian Cobb

• bad opinion haver
« Reply #48 on: June 10, 2021, 11:15:08 PM »

Nah that's basically the gist of it.

« Reply #49 on: June 11, 2021, 12:22:43 AM »
Another laughable facile thing, in Scotland at least was their propensity to have bare brickwork on the inside... in a country where bricks aren't generally used and buildings are typically made out of some form of stone block.

To be fair, in sandstone-faced buildings like the archetypal Glasgow tenement, the internal walls are generally brick - much cheaper than building the whole thing out of quarried stone would’ve been for the private building companies who put street after street of tenements up all those years ago.  I know what you mean about the kind of fake authenticity Brewdog seem to strive for, though.

It’s the disconnect between the hard-nosed Thatcherite ethos of these guys and the ‘punk’ image they try to project that’s so jarring. Although I didn’t care for the company much before, I thought at least they were providing some employment in Aberdeenshire (albeit on a limited scale) that didn’t involve the service/tourism sector, working offshore in an oil industry whose days are numbered, or zero hours crap. I’m starting to think that folk might be better off on the oil rigs.

Sebastian Cobb

• bad opinion haver
« Reply #50 on: June 11, 2021, 12:28:59 AM »
That right? The Glasgow blocks seem more-or-less the same (don't stay in one so don't know) as the Aberdeen ones, but different stone, the Aberdeen ones definitely didn't have an internal brick skin.

« Reply #51 on: June 11, 2021, 10:51:09 AM »
Yeah, you can sometimes see bits of the internal brickwork of Glasgow tenements during/after demolition (which thankfully doesn’t happen as often now), like the left-hand side here.

Some of the grander ones might be all stone-built - not sure.

Shoulders?-Stomach!

• Silver Member
  • 🔱8️⃣0️⃣0️⃣8️⃣7️⃣3️⃣5️⃣5️⃣🔱
    • http://jackanderton.jamendo.net/
« Reply #52 on: June 11, 2021, 10:57:36 AM »

Wait until you hear about the entirely separate issue of its treatment of employees and corporate behaviour.

Tags: