Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 29, 2024, 10:05:06 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Pink Floyd - Animals new stereo/5.1 mixes

Started by Rich Uncle Skeleton, June 10, 2021, 10:57:46 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Rich Uncle Skeleton

and fresh polemic from Roger Waters, naturally!

https://rogerwaters.com/animals-new-mix-update/

My favourite floyd album so I'll be interested to hear the new stereo mix at least. Wasn't expecting a full on "Immersion " box for Animals but without any extras beyond the original mix I'll be happy just streaming it.

phantom_power

I love Animals too. It is a great counter for people who just think 70s Floyd were just mellow noodling hippies. It is one of the angriest albums out there. The Gimour/Waters beef is also very entertaining

shagatha crustie

God I can't stand to read about these old men with lots of money and nothing better to do still bickering over this shit. It's like bloody Curb.

SpiderChrist

Quote from: shagatha crustie on June 10, 2021, 01:45:49 PM
God I can't stand to read about these old men with lots of money and nothing better to do still bickering over this shit. It's like bloody Curb.

Dull, isn't it? Unlike Animals, which is my favourite Floyd album.

phantom_power

I find it quite amusing as they both seem quite unlikeable and so there is no reason to care who "wins". All that suggests that Waters is in the right but he is such a fucking plum about it that there is every chance he is re-writing history himself

SpiderChrist

We never had this trouble with The Dooleys.

daf

Best punk album of 1977

Captain Z

He actually used both the crying-laughing and rolling-crying-laughing emojis in his text, so I am immediately back on Dave's side.

SteveDave

Quotenext door to the North Pole Pub where I used to play darts!

Man of the people, friend to the stars.

Fair play from reading that I didn't realise that my journey to and from work took me so close to the two places of interest mentioned in those sleeve notes. I'll be going for a piss on the site of Britannia Studios at 4:30 this afternoon.

greenman

Hopefully gives an official release to the 8 track version of Pigs on the Wing linked together with a Snowy White solo.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rMBI9aApoik

Credit wise its the same for a lot of Floyd stuff isn't it? does coming up with the "song" entitle you to sole credit when much of the track is made up of other elements? something like Sheep for example the keyboard solo at the start or the guitar solo at the end is a big part of the track not to mention the arrangement of the rest of it.

H-O-W-L

I don't really care who wins but David is actively obstructing this shit over some notes about some bollocks that happened close to fifty years ago now so I'm immediately against his agenda. I'm a long-term Waters fan but frankly speaking all I care about is the new mixes at this point, he should have the bollocks (and he has more than enough cash) to just let it go.

Pauline Walnuts

Those note are badly written 'needless to say I had the last laugh' bollocks that shouldn't be anywhere near a Pink Floyd album, or any album to be honest.

Also, where are the marbles? I want marbles!

markburgle

Also they're boring. Just a super perfunctory recapping of basic Floyd history that any fan already knows, hardly worth arguing over one way or another.

Roger is a silly sausage for digging out Gilmour interviews from the 80's so he can spend his memoir contradicting them. Can you not just be happy you achieved something? So what if someone else remembers differently or claims extra credit? I arks you

Pauline Walnuts

Maybe he (Gilmour) was talking about the time in re-recorded Money for the Great Collection of Dance Songs comp?

If I was him (Gilmour) I would have said he was too busy recording Roger's bass lines for him at the time.

daf

Quote from: OnlyRegisteredSoICanRead on June 10, 2021, 04:52:33 PM
Also, where are the marbles? I want marbles!

None left - unfortunately, Syd lost them a long time ago.

BlodwynPig

Anyone remember the spoof Floyd fanzine from the early 90s/late 80s that claimed Syd Barrett was making an album about lobsters? (Not The Amazing Pudding).

BJBMK2

Couldn't help reading that update in the style and intonation of the I Partridge audiobook.

Goldentony

be amazing if these got into a proper full on fight with peoples faces fucked in and stuff, in the street, photographers there and everything, all of them cryinh and kicking stuff

shagatha crustie

Sebastian Cobb

From a skim of the blurb I assume the stereo mix is just a 2.0 remix.

Fair enough doing a mix into 5.1 but it's entirely possible to complement that with a 2-channel stereo mix that is surround-sound in headphones for povvos like me.

M-CORP

My feeling on this is that I'm siding with Gilmour. Yes it's an entitled row about something that's rather small in the grand state of things, but I could understand him feeling uneasy about a set of liner notes that, skimming through it, doesn't tell you anything new that you couldn't learn from Wikipedia or Nick Mason's autobiography, for instance. There's no personal recollections, and Waters does get most of the credit. Although Waters did write most of the album, I could understand Gilmour's disdain at people like his late friend Rick Wright only getting a passing mention.

Mind you, Gilmour isn't the one publicly and explicitly slagging people off via rants with laughing emojis and capital letters. He isn't the one pedantically going over every word the other says, or moaning that he's been banned from the Facebook group. In the quote Waters supplies that goes on about the start of 'Money', Gilmour never states that he was the one who edited the opening together. He refers to the band as a collective 'we', whereas Waters explicitly states he was in charge.

But who knows. Maybe it's just a PR stunt for the new mixes? Would be appropriate, given the album. Besides, surely after everything they're bigger and better than this.

Sebastian Cobb

To be honest unless the original mix/pressing of something was bollocks when has a remastered actually changed an album in a meaningful way?

In my experience remasters usually either mean not much difference or brickwalling it. With the exception of ZZ top where they completely fucked up their first few albums by adding loads of reverb and replacing the drummer with a machine.

Aside from the handbag swinging by jaded millionaires, Animals is a great album by talented people who cared at the time. A surprisingly harsh, almost punkish prog record, released when that shouldn't have been possible. Petty bickering that came later can't change that.

Echo Valley 2-6809

My allegiance tends to waver pointlessly between Gilmour and Waters. Waters is perpetually bitter at being excluded from Pink Floyd's official site, where the work of Gilmour's wife is celebrated but there's zero mention of Waters' albums, which just seems wrong; but it was Waters who quit the band in the first place and started a slew of lawsuits. Then again Waters seems to be the one who musicians and road crew say is the the most pleasant to work with. I should just align myself with Mason.

Nothing new but this video of Mason and Waters answering fan queries is quite nice, https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DawCpKEJFUM .  Mason a couple of times drily expressing his exasperation at the Waters-Gilmour schism.

Anyway, I'll wait for reviews on the mix before I consider buying. It really needs extras but PF were never big on recording their live shows for posterity, or doing much more in the studio than they needed to.

Rich Uncle Skeleton

September release, about fucking time!

Edit: https://superdeluxeedition.com/news/pink-floyds-animals-reissue-confirmed-for-october/

To touch on what I'd said in the rip off thread about the Hey Hey Rise Up single, I'm really surprised the deluxe edition (aka the same thing but on 3 formats) isn't more expensive in this day and age.

Listened to this album once a day at work the last week and wondered what was happening to this remix so really excited to finally hear it

Pauline Walnuts

Not even got the 8 track joined version of Pigs on the Wing

Rich Uncle Skeleton

Yeah even before the inevitable complaints about no 1977 gigs being included, it's a pretty glaring omission

purlieu

God, that boxset is actually pathetic. 2022 and they're still chucking in DVD and BluRay in the same box. Four releases with effectively the same content. I get that there's no bonus content - I mean there must be enough to put together a second disc, with a couple of WIP versions, a tour recording or two and the extended cartridge version of Pigs on the Wing, but with the problems faced just getting this version out, combined with the pretty scant content on previous 70s boxes I wasn't holding out for it - but is anybody actually going to listen to the CD, DVD, BluRay and LPs? Once again mirroring the Immersion boxsets, the book is a meagre 32 pages. CD, BluRay and LP could have been released separately and sold as a bundle that would have more than satisfied the vast majority of buyers.

I'm the sort of chump who stumps up for daft deluxe editions but I won't be bothering this time. Shame, as it's my favourite '70s Floyd album.

Oh, and here's a non-Facebook link with the deets: https://superdeluxeedition.com/news/pink-floyds-animals-reissue-confirmed-for-october/

Rich Uncle Skeleton

duh, should've gone for a SDE link sorry

Pauline Walnuts

Quote from: Sebastian Cobb on June 10, 2021, 09:47:58 PMTo be honest unless the original mix/pressing of something was bollocks when has a remastered actually changed an album in a meaningful way?

In my experience remasters usually either mean not much difference or brickwalling it.

In my experience it usually sounds likes they've pressed the loudness button.

Quote from: Pauline Walnuts on June 30, 2022, 05:59:27 PMNot even got the 8 track joined version of Pigs on the Wing

Apparently there are two versions of it, that and a more flash version that surfaced on a Snowy White album