Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 06:31:40 PM

Login with username, password and session length

In Star Wars (1977) why do the droids burn the Jawa corpses?

Started by Jerzy Bondov, June 10, 2021, 11:08:17 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

buzby

Quote from: phantom_power on June 11, 2021, 08:58:20 AM
Why do you think the English alphabet isn't an in-universe thing? It is used all the time. TK-421. R2D2. C3P0
For ROTJ the production designers came up with an in-universe alphabet to use instead of the roman one, but they were just meaningless glyphs. That alphabet was taken by the author of the Star Wars RPG who translated the characters into their roman equivalents and came up with the Aurebesh written language. This then got adopted officially in the EU and first appeared on film in TPM. As part of his ongoing quest to fuck things up by not leaving well enough alone, when Lucas was doing the transfers for the DVD releases of the OT in 2004, he relabelled all the english text on the panels and placards in the Death Star in ANH to Aurebesh.

Blumf

Quote from: greenman on June 11, 2021, 11:35:43 AM
Spoken rather than written though.

Yes, it's spoken as "C-3PO", but it's written "Throatwobbler Mangrove"

jobotic

Quote from: St_Eddie on June 11, 2021, 01:34:11 AM
I like the way that you came up with a joke there, despite the reality being just as daft; they're called Tie Fighters because they're shaped like bow ties.  In-universe, according to the subsequent Jizz-Wiki, it's because the arocnoym of "T.I.E." stands for "Twin Ion Engines", but originally it's 'cause they're shaped like bow ties, innit.  Same reason X-Wings are named after the resemblance to the letter "X" and Y-Wings to the letter "Y", despite the English alphabet not being a thing in-universe.

That's why my kids call them Farfalle Fighters. They're SO precocious!

idunnosomename

Quote from: buzby on June 11, 2021, 11:42:33 AM
For ROTJ the production designers came up with an in-universe alphabet to use instead of the roman one, but they were just meaningless glyphs. That alphabet was taken by the author of the Star Wars RPG who translated the characters into their roman equivalents and came up with the Aurebesh written language. This then got adopted officially in the EU and first appeared on film in TPM. As part of his ongoing quest to fuck things up by not leaving well enough alone, when Lucas was doing the transfers for the DVD releases of the OT in 2004, he relabelled all the english text on the panels and placards in the Death Star in ANH to Aurebesh.
the language is "Galactic Basic", Aurebesh is the writing system. i quite like the relabelling of the tractor beam in the Star Wars Special Edition. but thats what it should've been. a SPECIAL EDITION.

Also yes 100% they're originally called TIE fighters because they look like bow-ties but ion drives are a real thing and they do fighters have those two engines at the back, so it's a good retcon.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ion_thruster

The X Wings make no fucking sense really because they're clearly designed to be aerodynamic but whatever. answer me this. how is this a fucking B:

Gulftastic

Picture is not showing, but isn't it because they look like a blade?

chveik

ain't nothing like the smell of burnt jawa corpses in the mornin

phantom_power

Quote from: buzby on June 11, 2021, 11:42:33 AM

I am aware of that but the existence of that language doesn't preclude the existence of the English alphabet as well. If you accept the idea that they are all speaking English then it isn't a great leap to think there is also a written English as well.

Pauline Walnuts

Quote from: St_Eddie on June 11, 2021, 01:34:11 AM
I like the way that you came up with a joke there, despite the reality being just as daft; they're called Tie Fighters because they're shaped like bow ties.  In-universe, according to the subsequent Jizz-Wiki, it's because the arocnoym of "T.I.E." stands for "Twin Ion Engines", but originally it's 'cause they're shaped like bow ties, innit.  Same reason X-Wings are named after the resemblance to the letter "X" and Y-Wings to the letter "Y", despite the English alphabet not being a thing in-universe.

X wing? More like a A-wing should be a Xesh-wing, what?

https://starwars.fandom.com/wiki/Xesh

willbo

X/y wings?  Edit - beat me to it

For sw universe questions go to the Maw Installation page on reddit

phantom_power

Quote from: phantom_power on June 14, 2021, 09:16:39 AM
I am aware of that but the existence of that language doesn't preclude the existence of the English alphabet as well. If you accept the idea that they are all speaking English then it isn't a great leap to think there is also a written English as well.

Kill me now please thx

buzby

Quote from: Gulftastic on June 13, 2021, 02:50:21 AM
Picture is not showing, but isn't it because they look like a blade?
The A-wing and B-Wing were two new designs created for ROTJ by the modelmakers Joe Johnston and Bill George at ILM. In preproduction, the two designs were referred to as Fighter A and Fighter B. In the absence of any other ideas for what they should be called they became the A-Wing and B-Wing, following the naming scheme they had given the other rebel fighters in ANH.

The A-wing's design does at least look a little bit like an A though (the prototype was built from the upper fuselage parts from two F14 Tomcat model kits glued together). The 'Blade Wing' origin for the B-wing was some shite the EU writers retconned in (because with it's wings out it looks like a sword).

Ferris

dissolute ocelot

I thought droids might eat Jawas, but Reddit says they have rechargeable batteries. (Droids have batteries, not Jawas; burning Jawas with rechargeable batteries would be very dangerous.) Maybe the droids were cold?

Poirots BigGarlickyCorpse

Mr Trumpet

Quote from: bgmnts on June 10, 2021, 08:09:58 PM
It's explained in the Disney TM Legend EU.

All of those Jawas met Darth Vader and Yoda, and setting them on fire was instrumental to the rebel victory for reasons just off camera

Ferris

willbo

it's actually in some canons that the droid with the bad motivator was the Galaxy's wisest Force using droid who was guiding R2 and 3PO to their destiny