Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Members
  • Total Members: 17,819
  • Latest: Jeth
Stats
  • Total Posts: 5,578,478
  • Total Topics: 106,671
  • Online Today: 1,086
  • Online Ever: 3,311
  • (July 08, 2021, 03:14:41 AM)
Users Online
Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 20, 2024, 03:51:18 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Oprah Winfrey sues Glebe?

Started by Alberon, June 10, 2021, 05:01:44 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Alberon

Well, nearly.

QuoteOatly, the plant milk maker backed by Oprah Winfrey, is in a court battle with a Cambridgeshire farm over alleged trademark infringement.

Lawyers for Oatly sought a High Court injunction on Thursday to stop Glebe Farm Foods selling its PureOaty drink.

Oatly said it contacted the PureOaty makers in early 2020 saying "their branding infringed our trademark".

Farmer Phillip Rayner, who owns Glebe Farm, said the PureOaty name was "a nod to the purity of the product".

Doesn't seem that similar to me.

Good luck, Glebe!

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-57425162

jobotic

Swings and roundabouts. He did win the 2016/17 Southern Counties Eastern Football league 1st Division after all

https://scefl.com/club/glebe

Glebe

Yeah it's sad news, sorry to let you all down. Long gone are the days when I was a regular guest on her show.

The O RLY? owl should sue Oprah then.

Dex Sawash

No more Oatly in my house (because we buy the cheaper one)

shagatha crustie

Saw the title and thought this should have been in HS Art.

dissolute ocelot

I'm not a trademark lawyer, but "oaty" is a cromulent English word. It would be like suing someone for describing their biscuits as "sweet" or "crumbly". Of course, messing with Oprah Winfrey is one of the stupidest things you could do.

non capisco

If she'd have done that "You get a car! You get a car! You get a car! Everybody gets a car!" thing whilst dressed as a seagull then she might have had a case. But NO-ONE SUES OUR GLEBE.

Glebe

Quote from: non capisco on June 11, 2021, 12:02:07 AMIf she'd have done that "You get a car! You get a car! You get a car! Everybody gets a car!" thing whilst dressed as a seagull then she might have had a case. But NO-ONE SUES OUR GLEBE.

They really have it in for me NC:

QuoteLawyers for Oatly sought a High Court injunction on Thursday to stop Glebe

They will never stop me!

non capisco

KICK 'EM IN THE FLUMPKINS, MY SON.

Blumf

Stop Glebe, before he _________ again!

zomgmouse

Ferris

Don't stand a chance. Oprah ain't got the whimsy-minerals, son.

touchingcloth

Butchers Blind

I don't see the issue here. Go in the supermarkets and there are shelves full of oat milk/drink products, why have Oatly got arsey about this Glebe one? The names not the same or the packaging.

Glebe

I've just gotten an email from Kellogg's, now they're suing me over my Glebe Flakes. They're even saying my slogan 'Ask about the Glebe Flakes!' is copyright infringement. You can't win!

Thomas

Glebe

Quote from: Thomas on June 11, 2021, 11:12:06 AMThey'rrrrre Glebe

Fancy a job in the marketing department Thomas?

jobotic

My Glebe Honeysmacks
You know that I love you

Oh it's my only goal
To get you in my bowl

Glebe

I really hope Oprah doesn't see my new animated company logo, where a cartoon version of me is pulling the words 'Glebe Productions' along on a little sled.

Gurke and Hare

Quote from: Butchers Blind on June 11, 2021, 10:28:48 AM
I don't see the issue here. Go in the supermarkets and there are shelves full of oat milk/drink products, why have Oatly got arsey about this Glebe one? The names not the same or the packaging.

Could it be that Glebe has no money to defend himself, and the other Oatly rivals are also from big corporates? And if them manage to scare him off, then it might set some kind of precedent for scaring others off? BUt yeah, you're right that there's no obvious case here.

Alberon

Glebe wins!

QuoteA family-run farm has won a legal battle against the multimillion-pound makers of plant milk, Oatly, which accused it of trademark infringement.

Oatly brought legal action against Glebe Farm Foods, in Cambridgeshire, saying their product PureOaty took "unfair advantage" of their own drink.

A High Court judge ruled in favour of the farm saying he did not see "any risk of injury to the distinctive character" of the Oatly brand.

The farm said it was "gratifying".

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-cambridgeshire-58102252

Wolverine's dad looks happy.

QuoteA spokeswoman for Oatly said the company would not be appealing the decision.

"For us, this case has always been about protecting our trademark and how the single letter Y creates too much of a similarity between Oaty and Oatly."

She said Oatly wished Glebe Farm Foods "total success... moving forward", but added: "We just think they should do so in their own unique voice, just like we do."

...said the faceless corporate giant.

Shit Good Nose

The single letter Y makes it too similar? 

What??

pancreas

As opposed to just calling it 'oat' I think. They would have tolerated an oat-based product having 'oat' on the front. I hope the ruling ended up acknowledging that an oat-based product would be oaty by appeal to the adjective.

1991   M. Ripley Angel Hunt (BNC) 44   A funny smell. It was musty and earthy and oaty all at once.

... for example.

There are many better reasons to have Glebe hung drawn and fucking quartered. I just hope some corporation discovers one of them soon.

Chairman Yang

In light of this ruling I'm announcing my new health drink 'Oatl' which is mostly blood and cacao. The box artwork is directions to Oprah Winfrey's exact home address.

chveik

Sebastian Cobb

Quote from: pancreas on August 05, 2021, 07:44:10 PM
As opposed to just calling it 'oat' I think. They would have tolerated an oat-based product having 'oat' on the front. I hope the ruling ended up acknowledging that an oat-based product would be oaty by appeal to the adjective.

1991   M. Ripley Angel Hunt (BNC) 44   A funny smell. It was musty and earthy and oaty all at once.

... for example.

There are many better reasons to have Glebe hung drawn and fucking quartered. I just hope some corporation discovers one of them soon.
is 'oat' the problem? can someone try and market a drink called 'jizzly' without legal repercussions?

shiftwork2

Jasha

Quote from: Chairman Yang on August 05, 2021, 07:49:19 PM
In light of this ruling I'm announcing my new health drink 'Oatl' which is mostly blood and cacao. The box artwork is directions to Oprah Winfrey's exact home address.

Oprah says you can call it Oatl as long as you don't use the letters O A T or L

kalowski

Quote from: Shit Good Nose on August 05, 2021, 07:01:29 PM
The single letter Y makes it too similar? 

What??
Next target for the legal team.