Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 18, 2024, 08:33:57 AM

Login with username, password and session length

The Windsors - Endgame - Live Theatre Show

Started by Small Man Big Horse, June 10, 2021, 06:45:21 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Small Man Big Horse

Harry Enfield's set to star in a stage version of the tv sitcom apparently, with some of the rest of the cast but it doesn't say who. https://thewindsorsendgame.com/ - The most expensive tickets are £125 which is of course insane, but if you're prepared to sit in the back row of the circle they're only £12.50, and if you're allowed to take a telescope along you might even plausibly be able to see the stage. I'm really tempted as well, if I knew for certain it wasn't going to be released on dvd at some stage and the whole what the fuck will be happening with the pandemic in August factor I definitely would go for the cheap seats, but I've yet to make up my mind.

FsF

I hope Elizabeth and Phillip deliver their lines from inside rubbish bins.

Small Man Big Horse

Quote from: FsF on June 10, 2021, 10:30:49 PM
I hope Elizabeth and Phillip deliver their lines from inside rubbish bins.

They're the only two main Royals who don't feature in it, so sadly it's unlikely to be.

I decided to buy a £12.50 in the end in a moment of madness, it'll probably be cancelled and even if it isn't whether I go will depend on the state of the pandemic, but I have my dead stepfather's old pair of binoculars (which he claimed he used to study the weather, but I was never convinced) and will take them along if I do go.

Small Man Big Horse

Well I did go to this in the end, partially as the theatre required everyone showed either proof of being double jabbed or a recent negative test, plus the day before I received an email saying that I'd been upgraded to a far better seat (worth £55, as it goes).

I'm sure a certain part of my enjoyment came from just seeing live comedy / theatre again for the first time since last October when I saw Naked Boys Singing*, and I have to admit to being a bit disappointed by how little Harry Enfield was on stage, at a guess I'd say he was there for about 25-30 minutes in total but the rest was all about the younger members of the Royal family bickering and fighting and fucking, while there was a subplot about Eugenie and Beatrice attempting to defend Andrew regarding the recent court case. On that front there were a couple of topical references, apparently it's being tweaked whenever something new comes up, and it was nicely vicious when it came to mocking him.

Pretty much all of the new cast were on strong form and while Tracy-Ann Oberman wasn't quite as good as Hadyn Gwynn, especially when it came to withering put downs, she was mostly impressive and her solo song was a fun one. The only new cast member who didn't quite do it for me was Sophie-Louise Dann as Fergie, as she played her as being a fair bit smarter than Katy Wix ever did. Oh, and it was a shame they didn't recast Princess Anne and Pippa instead of just ditching those characters, but I guess they had to give an already fairly large cast things to do and it would have been even more difficult with them in it as well.

If I'd paid £125 for one of the best seats I would have been far more negative about it, but for £12.50 I can't complain (especially given the excellent seat I ended up with), I enjoyed it a lot even if it wasn't as good as the series was at its best and Enfield should have been given more to do. Some of the reviews I've read have been pretty vicious, with the Telegraph giving it 1 star. but I rated it 3 1/2 stars in mine and if you're a big fan of the show I think you'll enjoy it.

* Not quite as dodgy as it sounds - NSFW: http://lambcoproductions.co.uk/index.php/naked-boys-singing/

gilbertharding

Enfield was on the execrable The Rev Richard Cole's Saturday Live on Radio 4 on Saturday to talk about this. My main takeaway was that he's quite well disposed towards the jug-eared parasite. And he thinks his original fans were alienated by Ruddy Hell! It's Harry & Paul.