Author Topic: Bandcamp app not on Google play  (Read 656 times)

Catalogue of ills

• Yeeaah, that's right!
Bandcamp app not on Google play
« on: June 10, 2021, 08:01:01 PM »
Got a new phone, downloaded Tidal and logged in, went to download Bandcamp and it's not in the Play store, only the version for artists and labels. Can't find owt about it on the internet, just get a dead link. Any ideas?

Sebastian Cobb

• bad opinion haver
Re: Bandcamp app not on Google play
« Reply #1 on: June 10, 2021, 08:39:56 PM »
Are you sure it's not just been renamed? I have had what I thought was 'bandcamp' installed for quite some time and after looking in the Play Store it would appear I now have 'Bandcamp for Artist and Labels' installed.

BeardFaceMan

• Safely ensconced on top of the bathroom cabinet
    • mixes'n'mashes
« Reply #2 on: June 10, 2021, 09:24:57 PM »
Yeah I had the same problem yesterday, actually. I ordered a tshirt from a band and they sent me a message saying it was going to be late and if I wanted to reply to the message I needed the app, but the link it gave me to the app on the google store was dead. Tried installing that artists app and my bandcamp log in details don't work with it, so it's definitely a separate app.

Catalogue of ills

• Yeeaah, that's right!
« Reply #3 on: June 10, 2021, 09:31:53 PM »
Yeah I had the same problem yesterday, actually. I ordered a tshirt from a band and they sent me a message saying it was going to be late and if I wanted to reply to the message I needed the app, but the link it gave me to the app on the google store was dead. Tried installing that artists app and my bandcamp log in details don't work with it, so it's definitely a separate app.

Yep, that's what's happening for me. It's quite odd, there is nothing about it on the bandcamp website, it's not in the FAQs, nothing.

Malcy

• This is a Post Office isn't it?
    • Twitter
« Reply #4 on: June 10, 2021, 10:03:04 PM »
Only being able to reply to messages on the app is a bit shit. It's the same on IOS.

BeardFaceMan

• Safely ensconced on top of the bathroom cabinet
    • mixes'n'mashes
« Reply #5 on: June 10, 2021, 10:09:45 PM »
Yeah I thought that was crap. There's a contact button on the bands page and I sent them a message on there, hopefully they see it. Fucking typically the first time I try and use the app is the day it decides to disappear. I couldn't find any news about what's happened to it either, all the links on the bandcamp website still point to the dead app store link. Very odd.

Sebastian Cobb

• bad opinion haver
« Reply #6 on: June 10, 2021, 10:16:09 PM »
Their messaging/notification has always been bollocks. On Android at least, it seems to be the same promotional stuff that they email you, but as a notification, and if you dismiss it I have no idea how to get the information back.

Sebastian Cobb

• bad opinion haver
« Reply #7 on: June 11, 2021, 09:42:12 AM »
Looks like it might've been removed around jun 6th:
https://news.ycombinator.com/item?id=27469450

purlieu

• Gertrude Stein said that's enough.
« Reply #8 on: June 11, 2021, 10:39:12 AM »
This is particularly bizarre given how good - and on the ball - Bandcamp tend to be.

Catalogue of ills

• Yeeaah, that's right!
« Reply #9 on: June 11, 2021, 05:04:19 PM »
I've emailed them, although they have a message on their website (prefaced with a cheery 'Hey there!') that basically says 'fuck off, can't you see we're busy?'

« Reply #10 on: June 15, 2021, 08:09:16 AM »
Has just returned to Google Play and with an update dated the day it vanished.

Catalogue of ills

• Yeeaah, that's right!
« Reply #11 on: June 15, 2021, 11:59:39 PM »
Has just returned to Google Play and with an update dated the day it vanished.

Was going to post that they replied to say as much. I will make sure I tell my grandchildren about the week when Bandcamp wasn't on the Play store, while their world burns around them.

Tags: