Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 19, 2024, 01:05:44 AM

Login with username, password and session length

How did they know my card details?

Started by NattyDread 2, June 10, 2021, 09:39:12 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

NattyDread 2

Weird thing happened just now. Booked an Airbnb, went to pay and they already had my up to date card details. I've used them once a couple of years back, but since then haven't logged in to the site. I have a new card with a different number from the one I would've used back then.
How did they do that? It's a bit worrying!

Sebastian Cobb

NattyDread 2

Quote from: Sebastian Cobb on June 10, 2021, 09:40:38 PM
Browser autofill by any chance?

I don't think so. I've never used it and surely if I did it by accident I'd still have to fill in the new expiry and ccv number. And there was nowt about the old card being expired either.

Fry

Sounds convenient to me, don't know why you're complaining.

Lisa Jesusandmarychain

HA HA CARD DETAILS ACKKNOWLEDGENT THEREOF BY A THIRD PARTY  REQUEST

You people disgust me.

PlanktonSideburns

Probably just asked your dominatrix as you were busy. Quite a common occurrence

NattyDread 2

Quote from: Lisa Jesusandmarychain on June 10, 2021, 09:52:49 PM
HA HA CARD DETAILS ACKKNOWLEDGENT THEREOF BY A THIRD PARTY  REQUEST

You people disgust me.

You wot?

Lisa Jesusandmarychain

Quote from: NattyDread 2 on June 10, 2021, 09:55:15 PM
You wot?

You 'eard.
* walks away defiantly and protectively, in the style of Paul Whitehouse walking away in  one of those famous sketches from " The Fast Show", from THE 90S, in which the landed gentry type quite blatantly wants to bum his Linehan/ Matthews voiced domestic servant type, and he feels the same way too.*

Lisa Jesusandmarychain

^ actually, tbh, I've just confused myself now. I've just * got* to stop sniffing this Ajax!

hamfist

They probably use ABU :

https://developer.mastercard.com/product/automatic-billing-updater-abu

Last time you used the service they stored your card on file and enrolled you in ABU. As your card details update, your issuer informs the card scheme which informs the merchant having your details on file and enrolled in ABU.

Shoulders?-Stomach!

QuoteHow did they know my card details?

You have to hand it to them...

Sebastian Cobb

Quote from: hamfist on June 10, 2021, 10:09:48 PM
They probably use ABU :

Last time you used the service they stored your card on file and enrolled you in ABU. As your card details update, your issuer informs the card scheme which informs the merchant having your details on file and enrolled in ABU.

As a Mastercard subscriber YABU

NattyDread 2

Quote from: hamfist on June 10, 2021, 10:09:48 PM
They probably use ABU :

Nice one. Cheers.

touchingcloth

It'll be browser autofill, maybe from a less secure site than Airbnb having card entry fields which look like a generic form and your browser deciding to fill it in as if it were your address.

Any halfway reputable seller - of which Airbnb is definitely one - won't store card details beyond your last four digits, and even if they let you store your card - using what's known as "Continuous Authority" - they'll only save a "token" themselves which will let them reference the card the payment processor has stored on their servers.

If a site as large as Airbnb were storing card details in full, then the repercussions for them would that they'd end up blacklisted by all major card providers and unable to take payments at all.

hamfist

They likely showed Natty the last 4 digits of the PAN plus the expiry, which the merchant can retain and show the cardholder as reference (for example, Stripe lets the merchant retrieve that truncated data)

The payment will be done using the token of course.

Jittlebags

Ah for those days when they whipped out that swiping machine from under the counter and take an imprint of your card with some carbon paper. Innocent days...

idunnosomename

swipey machine to make a comeback after brexit. hurrah! your flexible friend.