Main Menu

Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Members
  • Total Members: 17,819
  • Latest: Jeth
Stats
  • Total Posts: 5,577,464
  • Total Topics: 106,658
  • Online Today: 781
  • Online Ever: 3,311
  • (July 08, 2021, 03:14:41 AM)
Users Online
Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 19, 2024, 03:26:22 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Queer Stuff

Started by Polymorphia, June 11, 2021, 03:17:49 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

dead-ced-dead

I wanted to get some opinions of people here. It's about cis writers writing trans or enby characters in works of fiction.

Specifically, I was thinking of starting to write a detective book with an enby lead character as a cis writer.

I know there are millions of examples of well meaning writers trying to write about race, sexuality, gender etc. and getting it really wrong. so rather than asking, "what should I know?" before I start planning, it's more of a case of, "should I even start?" Even with tonnes of research it could come across as cringy. Like, even the best ally can't know everything there is to know without it coming across as authentic, or should I just stop second guessing myself and write the darn thing?

So I wanted to get some advice and I thought this would be a good thread to ask.

phantom_power

As a straight white man I feel fully qualified to stick my fucking beak in where it isn't needed and say go for it. Isn't part of writing putting yourself in other people's shoes and minds? Do you have to be a detective to write a whodunnit? Isn't that what makes fiction writing what it is, imagination and empathy?

dead-ced-dead

Someone on the LGBT Reddit gave some good advice:

More representation is good, so go nuts. But don't write ABOUT enby issues, and don't fall in the tropes where they're a tragic character or the million other cliches that cis writers fall into.

Dr Rock

Quote from: dead-ced-dead on July 08, 2021, 10:30:10 PM
I wanted to get some opinions of people here. It's about cis writers writing trans or enby characters in works of fiction.

Specifically, I was thinking of starting to write a detective book with an enby lead character as a cis writer.

I know there are millions of examples of well meaning writers trying to write about race, sexuality, gender etc. and getting it really wrong. so rather than asking, "what should I know?" before I start planning, it's more of a case of, "should I even start?" Even with tonnes of research it could come across as cringy. Like, even the best ally can't know everything there is to know without it coming across as authentic, or should I just stop second guessing myself and write the darn thing?

So I wanted to get some advice and I thought this would be a good thread to ask.

Why not write it to your best ability and then get some nice trans to take a look at it and give you advice?

Kankurette

Quote from: dead-ced-dead on July 09, 2021, 10:03:49 AM
Someone on the LGBT Reddit gave some good advice:

More representation is good, so go nuts. But don't write ABOUT enby issues, and don't fall in the tropes where they're a tragic character or the million other cliches that cis writers fall into.
Yeah, it's all too easy to write a trans character as either evil, tragic or a joke. Happens in anime a lot.

dead-ced-dead

Quote from: Kankurette on July 09, 2021, 10:33:58 AM
Yeah, it's all too easy to write a trans character as either evil, tragic or a joke. Happens in anime a lot.

Another good example is Jared Leto's character in The Dallas Buyer's Club. I remember a lot of trans folks and allies giving that performance some shit.

Kankurette

Are there any well-written examples of trans characters in mainstream media?

Twit 2

dead-ced-dead

Quote from: Kankurette on July 09, 2021, 10:39:38 AM

I seem to recall the movie Tangerine being well received.

Kankurette

Funnily enough, one anime I saw that did have a fairly well-written trans girl in it (she did have a tragic background but everyone in that anime did, it was why they became magical girls) was this edgelordy bullshit anime called Magical Girl Site. Kiyoharu's a fairly minor character, she's part of the supporting group but her mum loves her, the other girls accept her and she's as much a magical girl as they are.

I'm only vaguely familiar with Hunter x Hunter but IIRC Alluka Zoldyck, Killua's sister, is trans - her oldest brothers call her 'he' but Killua, who she's closest to, calls her 'she'.

Dr Rock

David Duchovny in Twin Peaks?

phantom_power

I think I say this every time it comes up but Dispatches From Elsewhere that has a very well-rounded, empathic trans character, where their gender isn't even discussed until we have got to know the character as a person, and then it is still related to the story being told

dead-ced-dead

Quote from: phantom_power on July 09, 2021, 11:45:21 AM
I think I say this every time it comes up but Dispatches From Elsewhere that has a very well-rounded, empathic trans character, where their gender isn't even discussed until we have got to know the character as a person, and then it is still related to the story being told
[/b]

That's the other advice I was given. Don't think that because you're writing a trans character that you can write the trans experience. Stick to the story you're writing, have the trans characters exist and don't try an explain trans experiences when you aren't.

chveik

in Almodovar films perhaps, but it's been a really long time since i've seen any

Autopsy Turvey

Norma Bormann in The New Statesman.

phantom_power

Didn't The OA have a trans character where their gender was barely mentioned? Star Trek: Discovery had the same actor playing a sort-of trans alien

dozybugcarrot

Sense8 by the Wachowski sisters was good.

tookish

Quote from: dead-ced-dead on July 08, 2021, 10:30:10 PM

This is a good question. In my humble onion, please DO write trans and non binary characters. Please also gain sensitivity readers! I'm very willing to read your work if you'd like someone. I write myself too.

dead-ced-dead

Quote from: tookish on July 11, 2021, 10:51:39 PM
This is a good question. In my humble onion, please DO write trans and non binary characters. Please also gain sensitivity readers! I'm very willing to read your work if you'd like someone. I write myself too.

Thank you for the response and for the offer. At the moment the story is merely a glint in the milkman's eye, but when (if ever) it's complete, I'll PM you.

Mister Six

Apparently the transphobes are trying to claim that Terry Pratchett was "gender critical", even though anyone even vaguely familiar with his work (particularly Monstrous Regiment, and a bunch of stuff involving the dwarves in the Watch novels) would know that's clearly absolute bollocks.

Thankfully, his daughter has stepped up to correct the record.

Kankurette

Was he fuck gender critical. I mean, he wasn't super right-on but his heart was in the right place.

bgmnts

Trying to claim that dead people would have taken your side is desperate stuff.

canadagoose

Quote from: bgmnts on July 31, 2021, 09:02:58 PM
Trying to claim that dead people would have taken your side is desperate stuff.
But but but, women won't wheesht!!! (or some shit)

Mister Six

Quote from: Kankurette on July 31, 2021, 09:00:20 PM
Was he fuck gender critical. I mean, he wasn't super right-on but his heart was in the right place.

He was pretty right on. One of the villains in The Fifth Elephant (IIRC) is basically a TERF (or dwarf equivalent... DWERF?).