Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 23, 2024, 10:13:58 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Tastiest salad recipes? Lettuce 'ave 'em

Started by beanheadmcginty, June 11, 2021, 10:38:19 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

beanheadmcginty

I've realised that I'm quite lucky in that I really enjoy salads, but weirdly I very rarely eat them because whenever I make one I chuck absolutely everything I can find in there and they end up tasting basically the same. So in my efforts to be a bit healthier, and because it's too fucking hot to cook, I'm on the lookout for decent recipes I can follow to the letter. I've been eating this one all week:

https://www.bbcgoodfood.com/recipes/chicken-satay-salad

It's absolutely fucking delicious. Best thing I've eaten in months. Anybody got any other knockout suggestions?

Fonz

Watermelon, tomato, coriander and chilli flakes.

Play about with the quantities, but roughly equivalent tomato/watermelon ratio...

Neomod

Smoked salmon, mint, garden peas, gem lettuce, olive oil, lemon juice, chives.

Bluddy Lovely.

steve98

I like them all as long as they're deep-fried.

TrenterPercenter

boiled new/anya potatoes; rocket, lambs lettuce, tomatoes, cucumber and spring onion; nice creamy vingegary dressing

Add sliced boiled egg or parma ham for some protein or some cooked butter beans for veggies.

idunnosomename

SLAM IN ONION

PAUL NEWMAN SORCERY DIP

GREEN GREEN GRASS OF HOME

BIT O LEMONS

LUVERY JUBILEE

Buelligan

Lovely dressing for things like crispy cos or can be used, deliciously, on rice/quinoa/something with/without roasted veg/seeds/peas/things -

3 lumps stem ginger
50ml white wine vinegar
75ml soy sauce (I like it with sweet soy sometimes)
300ml sunflower oil
50ml sesame oil
4tbs sesame seeds

Blend it all then stir in the seeds, keeps in a clean jar in the fridge for a couple of weeks.

Quote from: steve98 on June 11, 2021, 10:54:40 AM

Had one like that on a small Ionic island once.  It said Fresh salad with cheese.  I thought, crispy leaves, onion, oil, feta.  I got a huge bowl of deep fried frozen cheese balls.  Would not eat again.

TrenterPercenter

Tuna nicosie is also a classic that is worth pushing out every now and again.

Simple things you can do to spruce up a salad;

roast some of the vegetables; not all but like some red pepper to give things a smoky flavour.  Add some of these pea shoots/sprouts things you can get in the super market.  Steam some mange tout put it in a little bit melted butter, perhaps some herbs and add it into whatever you are making.  Finely chopped spring onions will generally improve any salad (but does mean its going to be oniony).  Make some dressing out of jam; yes that is right just add something acidic like vinegar and some fat like olive oil and you've got a fruit pseudo posh salad dressing.  Also crunchy things and fresh herbs like mint especially.  Oh and artichoke hearts.

OK thanks bye.

dissolute ocelot

A classic greek salad is always good (olives, peppers, tomatoes, cucumber, feta or similar, dressed with lemon, olive oil, oregano, etc).

Bulgur wheat (or if you must, couscous) with roasted veggies (peppers, courgettes, cherry tomatoes, winter squash, etc), maybe green olives, maybe toasted walnuts or hazelnuts. Add parsley, mint, coriander, or whatever you prefer. Dress with olive oil, lemon, maybe some crushed garlic.

New potatoes with asparagus; chuck in some peas and maybe cheese or nuts for protein, dress with vinaigrette. This is roasted which is better but you can just boil if you're impatient.

Fry tofu cubes, combine with cherry tomatoes, dress with oil, chilli, soy sauce, vinegar, and garlic.

Or just eat a fucking cucumber, Chinese style smashed cucumber with sesame, vinegar, and chilli or Japanese style cucumber salad, thinly sliced with salt, sugar, and white rice vinegar.

Neomod

Quote from: dissolute ocelot on June 11, 2021, 11:07:42 AM
A classic greek salad is always good (olives, peppers, tomatoes, cucumber, feta or similar, dressed with lemon, olive oil, oregano, etc).

Preferably from a small quayside Greek taverna.

DrGreggles

Quote from: Fonz on June 11, 2021, 10:47:06 AM
Watermelon, tomato, coriander and chilli flakes.

From the Battery to the top of Manhattan

Norton Canes

Sebastian Cobb

Quote from: Buelligan on June 11, 2021, 11:04:14 AM
Lovely dressing for things like crispy cos or can be used, deliciously, on rice/quinoa/something with/without roasted veg/seeds/peas/things -

3 lumps stem ginger
50ml white wine vinegar
75ml soy sauce (I like it with sweet soy sometimes)
300ml sunflower oil
50ml sesame oil
4tbs sesame seeds

Blend it all then stir in the seeds, keeps in a clean jar in the fridge for a couple of weeks.

Had one like that on a small Ionic island once.  It said Fresh salad with cheese.  I thought, crispy leaves, onion, oil, feta.  I got a huge bowl of deep fried frozen cheese balls.  Would not eat again.

The mention of sweet soy sauce (Kecap Manis?) has reminded me I really want to get my hands on some Tempeh to try Meera Sodhas' TEMPEH with pak choi and tomato sambal.

She also does an excellent Paneer, Tomato and Spinach salad that's served on baked naan.
https://www.telegraph.co.uk/recipes/0/paneer-spinach-tomato-salad-recipe/

Her East book is good, I'd be interested in getting my hands on some of her other books too.
https://www.hive.co.uk/Product/Meera-Sodha/East--120-Easy-and-Delicious-Asian-inspired-Vegetarian-and-Vegan-recipes/23810923

SpiderChrist

I bloody love a salad, me. Here's what I've made for lunch today:

Cos lettuce
Spinach
Tomatoes
Cucumber
Black olives
Thinly sliced baby courgettes
Red onion or spring onion
Pomegranate seeds
Pumpkin seeds
Extra virgin olive oil
Red chilli flakes

bakabaka

In this weather it's liquid lunch[nb]
Spoiler alert
Gazpacho
[close]
[/nb] every time!

Dex Sawash

I like to buy some leafy greens shower it with something acidic and stuff it in my hole. Can't be bothered with chopping up a load of various adulterants however much they improve the salad.

wooders1978

Wild rocket
Sprinkle of walnuts
Feta cheese
Either pomegranate molasses or a thick balsamic vinegar
Olly olly oiiiilll (extra virgin)

Salt pepper to taste. Simple, classic, very low in calories

Blue Jam

Quote from: steve98 on June 11, 2021, 10:54:40 AM

I like a Glasgow Salad too.

thenoise

Quote from: beanheadmcginty on June 11, 2021, 10:38:19 AMbecause it's too fucking hot to cook

Unless you have leftovers, most of the suggestions involve cooking. Roast peppers are delicious in a salad, but will turn your bedsit into a sauna long before chow time.

If you are cooking in the evening its worth making a little extra of certain veg though to have cold in salad. Potatoes, peas, carrots etc all taste great chilled in dressing with the usual leaves or whatever.

Rizla

2 or 3 grapefruit and/or orange, peeled and sliced thin, arranged on big plate

Fennel bulb sliced wafer thin, rocket, mint leaves - toss well with lots of olive oil, red wine vinegar, salt and pepper. Pile on top of grapefruit/orange

Handful of almonds, toasted and chopped/crushed. Scatter on top

steve98

BEEF DRIPPING SALAD WITH GREEN DYE  AND CRUSHED NUTS.

This makes a delightful family lunch.

Obtain a quantity of best British beef dripping from your butcher. Allow about 3 oz per diner.
Add crushed nuts, and amalgamate.
Blend in the Green Dye to taste, and serve.

Pour any remaining dye over dogs (if you have them.)

Serves 6.

Thursday

Doner Kebab Salad
(Served in Pitta/Wrap with lots of Doner Meat)
Use Chilli/and or Garlic Sauce as a dressing.

Replies From View

Young spinach leaves in a bag that says "wash before use"

Scoff 'em without washing 'em lad.  Taste like balloons

= SALAD

Schmo Diddley

Orzo
Pine nuts
Capers
Sun dried tomatoes
Feta
Kalamata olives
Parsley
Oil from the jar of tomatoes.

Cold Meat Platter

3 big things
5 small things
leaf
biffs
1/2 a consolation prize
driss dressing

Buelligan

Quote from: Replies From View on June 11, 2021, 06:01:54 PM
Young spinach leaves in a bag that says "wash before use"

Scoff 'em without washing 'em lad.  Taste like balloons

= SALAD

I'm bloody loving this.  Spinach is top scram, sometimes I go mad and stir in a few roasted pine nuts.  We had 36c today, 37 previewed for Lunday, imagine ça.

Aaron500

Tin of chick peas, opened, rinsed and drained (note rinse and drain the peas not the tin).
2 cloves of garlic, chopped/grated - basically converted into small pieces.
A few good glugs of olive oil.
3 or 4 or 5 gherkins, sliced and diced
Half a block of Feta (or more likely "greek-style salad cheese"), cubed. Let the other half sit in your fridge for a month, then throw it away.
Few bits of thyme, parsley if you like.
A bit of balsamic vinegar - I usually fill the cap.
Ground black pepper (a fair bit) and salt (a little bit).
Stir it, let it sit for a while, then eat it. I call it "chick pea salad".

Janie Jones

Some years ago Buelligan posted her version of Panzanella which has become a firm favourite in my home and my kids make it in their homes too and we all call it Buelligan Salad. I'm a bit jealous of sharing her simple recipe and you can google Panzanella or indeed comb back through her posts and find it if you want. It's a lovely way of using stale bread which as Buellers said in her post, is a sin to discard in Italy.

seepage

It's summertime which means a big bag of undressed baby spinach with every meal. No, you can't add salt.

Catalogue of ills

My favoured potato salad recipe: make a vinaigrette of whatever sort you want. Boil the spuds, when they are cooked but firm drain them and put them in a bowl, then put the vinaigrette in straight away and mix - the potatoes will absorb the vinaigrette as they cool. When cool, add plenty of spring onions, mixed pickles, dill. Add a dollop of mayonnaise if you want to cream it up a bit. Bloody lovely.