Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 5,559,182
  • Total Topics: 106,348
  • Online Today: 719
  • Online Ever: 3,311
  • (July 08, 2021, 03:14:41 AM)
Users Online
Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 29, 2024, 04:41:10 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Irritating stuff about Premiere Pro

Started by Retinend, June 11, 2021, 02:00:31 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Retinend

right click > paste attributes seems to work only half the time, especially when applying it to multiple clips

keyframes for opacity are default, but not default for nuffink else

related to that, to remove keyframing for opacity (or anything else) requires you to interact with a dialogue box confirming that you know that pushing that button will do what it does

related to that, it's perfectly possible to accidentally overwrite massive parts of the timeline with a misplaced mouse movement, but there are no dialogue box to confirm these changes - slightly wonky interface priorities, there

when you nest a sequence, the audio has to be all lined up in a single audio track (with nothing above or below it)  for that audio to enter the nested sequence. So to do what you want the nesting function to actually do, you have to find workaround to correctly paste the additional audio tracks (above or below the main one) into the nested sequence

and, of course, the fatal nature of any "not responding" incident. I have never seen the program recover from it. If I'm not mistaken, there is no "save every... minutes" feature, either?

that all said, I really like the program overall. These are just some irritating things I had to get off my chest. What irritates you about it?

Claude the Racecar Driving Rockstar Super Sleuth

My version (CS6) does autosave every 5 minutes... but it loses that data in the event of a crash, rendering the feature utterly bloody pointless.

Also, I know Adobe want us to pay for the whole suite of programs, but would it have killed them to include layer masks in Premiere? I reckon that probably accounts for about 75% of my After Effects usage.

Retinend

copy/paste attributes doesn't work for formatting styles across multiple clips. Someone please tell me I'm wrong, because otherwise I'm manually applying the formatting style to each and every clip.

Egyptian Feast

Does it still fuck up captions and some of the effects on existing projects whenever it updates? That was always a joy.

Noodle Lizard

Quote from: Retinend on June 16, 2021, 10:57:45 AM
copy/paste attributes doesn't work for formatting styles across multiple clips. Someone please tell me I'm wrong, because otherwise I'm manually applying the formatting style to each and every clip.

Are you talking about text/graphics or video effects/filters? If it's the former, it's easier to create presets and just use those (or copy paste existing graphics and change the words). If the latter, I've not had an issue copy/pasting those attributes - make sure you've got the ones you want selected in the dialogue box?

The accidental deleting/overwriting with no warning is annoying and just kind of comes with the territory. You could disable keystrokes/shortcuts that you don't use to try and avoid that. Otherwise, I recommend duplicating your sequence to a new one each time you start working on it or make any big changes - I find that better than relying on the sometimes fiddly autosave feature. Just create a bin for old sequences to get them out of the way, and label each one by date or whatever specific change you made at that point. Makes it easier to go back if you fuck a sequence up irreparably.

Premiere (and all Adobe software) does have its fair share of nuisances and "why can't this be simplers", but at least it's not AVID. There's a software which truly seems almost intentionally designed to infuriate, and they've still not bothered addressing issues that industry professionals have had since the 2000s. The amount of extra steps you need to take for even the simplest task makes Premiere's foibles seem like heaven in comparison.

Retinend

I mean formatting per se - e.g. you can't copy Arial over to text which is Times New Roman.

I never knew about presets before -  so thanks for the tip!

Retinend

Paging Dr. @Noodle Lizard , or anyone who can help:

I am pretty good at file organization. I almost never deal with the "Offline Media" dialogue box.

But some of my files are in the external harddrive, and when I want to record with my microphone, ideally I want to turn off the buzzing harddrive and record directly in Premiere Pro, plugging the harddrive back in afterwards.

The problem is that, after you accept that certain files will go offline in the dialogue box, I can never call that "Offline Media" dialogue box back up at a later time, e.g. just 5 mins later? I have to work manually to restore files that are sitting in the same place they always were?

All the guides online, including the official Adobe one, assure you that the dialogue box will pop up "automatically" on file startup, which it does.... the FIRST time files are offline (e.g., the external harddrive is slow to start). But they all ignore the case where you have offlined the files yourself (e.g. to avoid the buzzing while recording audio). There seems to be no reason to ever DELIBERATELY "offline" media. When you do that, the dialogue box will never come back of it's own accord.

The only recourse, as far as I can tell, is to go through the offlined files manually, relinking each one.

This is bullshit. If the file can detect offline media at the outset, then why can I not FORCE an offline media check at any time I want, and resolve the non-issue after unplugging and re-plugging-in my external harddrive?

Retinend

I mean, it's easy enough to work around (copy the save file with offline media while voice-recording, then revert to the older still-intact one later), but still. Why does it have a really good smart-search for missing media that appears automatically, but which is totally unavailable later if you don't want to deal with it then and there???