Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 19, 2024, 06:39:51 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Nelson, Lancashire fruit tree outrage

Started by Fambo Number Mive, June 11, 2021, 03:39:16 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Fambo Number Mive

Following woman angry at council leaving grass cuttings, we now have people complaining at plans to plan 100 fruit trees on their recreation ground:

https://www.lancashiretelegraph.co.uk/news/19355737.nelson-residents-fight-overturn-pendle-council-tree-plantation/

QuoteThe plans have been vigorously opposed by 84 residents (as of 1 June), who have cited potential 'cover for drug dealers', 'leaves clogging gutters' and 'feeling unsafe around so many trees' as reasons to prevent the planting on Ringstone Crescent, Nelson from going ahead...

One stated that the plantation would lead to an increase in footfall, and in turn vehicles, which would be 'a danger to us all', while another said that she 'wouldn't feel safe around so many trees'.

Now, I've never been to Nelson, but I can't believe that people would drive just to see the fruit trees and pick the fruit.

QuoteIn the written objections, one resident wrote: "The safety and welfare of our children and grandchildren is an issue, as at present they can play on the circle in the knowledge that they are visible to all the residents should there be any problems or, God forbid, any accidents.

"If these trees were to be planted it is inevitable that there will be accidents as children will climb them to retrieve fruit."

Maybe just put a sign up and tell your children not to climb them to retrieve fruit?

Am I being unfair on the objecting residents of Nelson?

Mr_Simnock

There are some nutters who live there, to be honest it's just one of those northern mill towns that has slid further into deprivation since the mills closed down and unless something drastic happens won't be improving any time soon. House proces there are some of the cheapest in the country, the surrounding countryside though is very nice. Even though I doon't live too far away I hardly ever visit, it's one of those place you don't need to go to unless you live there.

JamesTC

Quotefeeling unsafe around so many trees

When you are really running out of excuses.

Captain Z

100% the same people who complain about snowflake kids not being allowed to climb trees any more like wot back wot I dun back in my day.

JamesTC

If this was a real news organisation then they would have a picture of an angry old person pointing at a tree.

Catalogue of ills

Quote from: Captain Z on June 11, 2021, 04:39:04 PM
100% the same people who complain about snowflake kids not being allowed to climb trees any more like wot back wot I dun back in my day.

I remember when
It was all trees round here
And then we chopped them down
Because we got the fear
I hate blacks

Can't believe are brave Admiral Nelson, scourge of the Frenchies, is now scared of a load of fruit trees. Sad times.

bgmnts

QuoteA society grows great when old men plant trees in whose shade they know they shall never sit

Replies From View

Quote"If these trees were to be planted it is inevitable that there will be accidents as children will climb them to retrieve fruit."

I can almost guarantee that the people making these claims are also exactly the kinds of people who complain that due to health and safety kids these days can't go out and climb trees not like in our day.

Replies From View

Pijlstaart

Think of all the vitamins in that fruit, sounds like london-centric developers again trying to force their woke agenda on a toothless populace. Listen first! That money could be better spent on community projects, why not bury pies in some waste ground for the kids to dig up, it respects the traditions of the area, and it's enrichment, stop them milling about in circles. Why not fund a nice borstal, why not hire local artists to make a queen effigy out of thieved gravel and groundsels, why not let a Sad Man troupe cry on the high street? Ree-ree-ree, trees with fruit on, Ree-ree-ree, safety mats in the town cockfighting ring, Ree-ree-ree, don't drive the cursed children into the caves, no wonder labour isn't electable.

Catalogue of ills

Quote from: Replies From View on June 11, 2021, 05:39:55 PM
I can almost guarantee that the people making these claims are also exactly the kinds of people who complain that due to health and safety kids these days can't go out and climb trees not like in our day.

RIP Captain Z

Kankurette

Quote from: Captain Z on June 11, 2021, 04:39:04 PM
Oh definitely, you'd think they'd be glad for kids to risk their necks climbing trees.

Replies From View

sevendaughters

I spent 75 minutes in Nelson (bus change very early one morning) and it honestly is like they want the place to be as miserable as possible.

Shoulders?-Stomach!

What's worst out of Nelson, Darwen & Accy?

Buelligan

Why don't you just leave that terrible fucking island?  Run away.  There simply has to be something better.

Shoulders?-Stomach!

Even Nelson's park, Walverden Park, an oasis of calm among nature looks like a sad escarpment with some railings and a sign about a successful industrialist.  One review claims it is a no go area for whites.

sevendaughters

I quite like Darwen. Never been to Accrington and Oswaldtwistle, sadly, I think.

Bazooka

Quote from: Buelligan on June 12, 2021, 08:35:24 AM
Why don't you just leave that terrible fucking island?  Run away.  There simply has to be something better.

Nah you constantly moaning from Utopia is enough.

Buelligan

Dex Sawash

Public scrumping ground seems a bit EU

Gurke and Hare

Quote from: Bazooka on June 12, 2021, 12:42:05 PM
Nah you constantly moaning from Utopia is enough.

Hey, get it right. That's National Front utopia.

Mr_Simnock

Quote from: Shoulders?-Stomach! on June 12, 2021, 08:03:14 AM
What's worst out of Nelson, Darwen & Accy?

Probably Darwen, it's a close thing between that and Nelson though, Accrington isn't that bad to be honest.

Gurke and Hare

I lived in Rawtenstall growing up, and Accy was the place we'd go to if my mum wanted to go to M&S.  I've got no mental picture of the place though, can remember nothing at all about it. Sometimes we'd go to Blackburn too, and I at least have a memory of there being a nightclub in the car park on the roof of the shopping centre there.

JaDanketies

Used to go through Nelson on my way to Accrington regularly when I worked there. Was born and brought up in Whitworth, Rawtenstall and Bacup. Suffice to say that all those little Lancashire towns are fucking shit. Perhaps they have nice scenery and nice Yorkshire Stone houses.

dissolute ocelot

QuoteIn the written objections, one resident wrote: "The safety and welfare of our children and grandchildren is an issue, as at present they can play on the circle in the knowledge that they are visible to all the residents should there be any problems or, God forbid, any accidents
Surely the whole town is covered by a dense network of CCTV? Maybe they just need to broadcast it on the Internet. Add a paedo lynching robot, and you've got the perfect town.

Dr Rock

Mr_Simnock

Quote from: dissolute ocelot on June 13, 2021, 10:58:51 AM
Surely the whole town is covered by a dense network of CCTV? Maybe they just need to broadcast it on the Internet. Add a paedo lynching robot, and you've got the perfect town.

There are a lot less CCTV's in the world than you imagine, it's always been a bit of a myth we are always on camera nowadays in towns and cities.

Quote from: Gurke and Hare on June 13, 2021, 10:39:13 AM
I lived in Rawtenstall growing up, and Accy was the place we'd go to if my mum wanted to go to M&S.  I've got no mental picture of the place though, can remember nothing at all about it. Sometimes we'd go to Blackburn too, and I at least have a memory of there being a nightclub in the car park on the roof of the shopping centre there.

The M&S has gone now in Accy and now the Arndale centre is looking likely to be demolished (not sure when this will happen), changes are afoot there, quite a few old streets have been knocked down where the housing was very poor quality, some have had a bit of tidying up. It's a small start but it is changing there now, same goes for a lot of the east lancs towns. Blackburn especially has has changed quite a lot in the last 30 years, the biggest change recently is the big Thwaites plant has now gone, Thwaites have buggered off into the Ribble Valley near the Airspace lot on the A59 so that's 200 years of brewing in Blackburn over. The bus station and old market have also been removed an replaced in Blackburn and for the better,ever liked either of the old ones.