Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 27, 2024, 02:04:15 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Galaxy or Dairy Milk?

Started by Barry Admin, June 12, 2021, 12:49:16 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Which?

Galaxy
37 (34.6%)
Dairy Milk
38 (35.5%)
Some hoity-toity expensive middle-class shit you PLEB
18 (16.8%)
Fuck off cunt
8 (7.5%)
Die peasants
0 (0%)
Haslemere the Caterpere
0 (0%)
An tSaoi
6 (5.6%)

Total Members Voted: 107

Shoulders?-Stomach!

Mister Shitties Gack Slab knocks these posers into a cocked hat.

Replies From View

As a kid I enjoyed Galaxy, especially Galaxy Caramel.  But I had one of the Galaxy bars the other day, for the first time in years and it was a bit - I dunno what they do to it - artificially 'smoothed' somehow or milkier?  Or sweeter?  It was in the Kinder spectrum of milk over cocoa, maybe.  I don't know but it tasted like something more pitched for my childhood palette than a more solemn bastard Dairy Milk is.

As a supermarket indulgence I'll tend to grab a Dairy Milk bar because massive ones are often on offer, but I won't pretend they aren't a guilty purchase.  I try to pay more for better quality and ethical chocolate and less often.

seepage

Definitely Galaxy as a kid, but not tried any for ages. The only choc I can remember consciously buying as an adult was some 100% cocoa stuff from Selfridges, that came in clear wrapper with 'By Appointment to Her Majesty Queen Elizabeth The Queen Mother' on.

paruses

Galaxy gives the impression of being exciting and new but is disappointing - it is too sweet and has a greasy mouth-feel.

Very much ITV to Dairy Milk's BBC if I were taking part in one of those focus groups they have.

Dairy Milk went downhill after Kraft bought them and changed the ingredients.  I think they use some kind of weird American vegetable fat in them now.

Blue Jam

El Unicornio, mang

Galaxy, although I think they both have their place. My aunt buys me one of this giant 1kg Dairy Milk bars for Xmas every year and I devour it with great enthusiasm, I can imagine a similarly sized Galaxy version would be a bit sickly.

beanheadmcginty

The thing that used to intrigue me as a kid when there were three Mars bar sizes - fun size, regular and king size - was that they all tasted significantly different to each other. In a blindfold taste test I could easily distinguish between a lump of fun size and a lump of king size especially, with the regular in the middle as a sort of combination of the two. The king size tasted the best in my opinion, so the fact that it got replaced by two regulars in the same packet (Duo) put me off Mars bars for life. Except the ice cream version, which has always been light years ahead anyway.

Inspector Norse

Quote from: Blumf on June 12, 2021, 01:45:16 AM
I like the taste of Galaxy, but for some reason it fucks my throat up, so it's Cadbury's for me.

Thought that was just me - Galaxy always seemed to have some weird dry, bitter effect on my throat.

Dairy Milk is ultimate addictive junk food joy.

Ferris

Galaxy if it is one of the caramel ones, otherwise Dairy Milk is the superior chocco.

Blue Jam

Spoon of Ploff

Godiva 90% Cocoa for me. Goes nice with coffee.

imitationleather

Fuck all this shit.

Get this:

Mr Trumpet

Yeah that stuff is great, pricey but very nice. Dreadful name though.

Sebastian Cobb

I'm not really a big fan of either of them but I think I prefer Dairy Milk.

Is Fruit and Nut allowed? I find it's a bit less uniform than Dairy Milk.

Dex Sawash

Been reading those labels as Chocoloney until BJ redpilled[nb]or is it bluepilled, not up on my matrix symbolism[/nb] me a few posts back.

Edit- esp wasn't it

imitationleather

Quote from: Mr Trumpet on June 12, 2021, 01:20:04 PM
Yeah that stuff is great, pricey but very nice. Dreadful name though.

I don't mind the price because £4 for a bar reminds me it's not something I should be eating very often.

Also loads of the cost is about ending chocolate slavery.

Blue Jam

With other chocolate, the secret ingredient is slavery.

imitationleather

El Unicornio, mang

Quote from: imitationleather on June 12, 2021, 01:00:08 PM
Fuck all this shit.

Get this:

I have a theory that Tony's seems to taste better because the wrapper and general aesthetic is reminiscent of the chocolate bars in Willy Wonka. When people are opening that wrapper it's taking them back to the film. Kind of like how food tastes better when you watch shows where they're eating the same/similar food.

Mr Trumpet

Quote from: imitationleather on June 12, 2021, 01:27:30 PM
I don't mind the price because £4 for a bar reminds me it's not something I should be eating very often.

Yeah my greedy brain doesn't work like that.

Sebastian Cobb

Quote from: Blue Jam on June 12, 2021, 01:29:06 PM
With other chocolate, the secret ingredient is slavery.

Nah, that was a common theme in Cadbury as well, slave labour abroad but championed for being good for building Bournville locally.

There's a podcast that covers colonial stuff and it got an episode dedicated to it:
https://twitter.com/mlothianmclean/status/1400021933358563328

imitationleather

Quote from: El Unicornio, mang on June 12, 2021, 01:31:07 PM
I have a theory that Tony's seems to taste better because the wrapper and general aesthetic is reminiscent of the chocolate bars in Willy Wonka. When people are opening that wrapper it's taking them back to the film. Kind of like how food tastes better when you watch shows where they're eating the same/similar food.

Having to buy it in Fenwicks definitely makes your brain want it to be good.

El Unicornio, mang

They have it in my local mini-Sainsbury's in a dedicated "fancy chocolate" section, I think having it next to the American candy section also makes it seem better.

Butchers Blind

American made chocolate is nasty. Hershey's is just as far removed from taste of chocolate you can get while still calling it chocolate.

Sebastian Cobb

Yeah someone at work bought some mini-hersheys back as a present to the office when they went on their honeymoon and I was amazed at how shit it was. It was worse than the shite they put in advent calendars.

JesusAndYourBush

Quote from: Replies From View on June 12, 2021, 07:55:29 AM
What white chocolate brands were you enjoying as a kid?  Lidl and Aldi?  Or is this perchance not a fair test.

Any white chocolate always had a distinctive taste, different from brown chocolate.  This should still be the case.  It shouldn't matter that I bought it from LidliAldi as opposed to someplace else, it didn't taste of white chocolate.  It's like they took some darker chocolate and coloured it white but forgot that the important part is the taste.

El Unicornio, mang

Quote from: Butchers Blind on June 12, 2021, 02:03:17 PM
American made chocolate is nasty. Hershey's is just as far removed from taste of chocolate you can get while still calling it chocolate.

Yeah it's nasty, like a lot of non-restaurant American food it's horribly over processed cheap ingredient fare. But, Hershey Symphony bars are really nice. Taste nothing like regular Hershey. And there's the gourmet expensive bars which are on par with ours.

Quote from: Sebastian Cobb on June 12, 2021, 02:08:59 PM
Yeah someone at work bought some mini-hersheys back as a present to the office when they went on their honeymoon and I was amazed at how shit it was. It was worse than the shite they put in advent calendars.

There is even worse than general American chocolate bars over there, the kind of chocolate you get with novelty items like chocolate bunnies or Xmas decorations, it doesn't even vaguely resemble anything edible.

JesusAndYourBush

Does anyone remember little chocolates called Neapolitans?  In little individually wrapped squares, and there were around 6 to 8 different types of chocolate.  Made by Terrys.  Aww, I just Googled - they stopped making them in 2005.

Quote from: Sebastian Cobb on June 12, 2021, 01:24:13 PM
Is Fruit and Nut allowed? I find it's a bit less uniform than Dairy Milk.

Ah I was just wondering whether I dare mention Fruit & Nut in this thread!
I finished a big bar last week and just bought another.