Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 26, 2024, 09:09:51 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Galaxy or Dairy Milk?

Started by Barry Admin, June 12, 2021, 12:49:16 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Which?

Galaxy
37 (34.6%)
Dairy Milk
38 (35.5%)
Some hoity-toity expensive middle-class shit you PLEB
18 (16.8%)
Fuck off cunt
8 (7.5%)
Die peasants
0 (0%)
Haslemere the Caterpere
0 (0%)
An tSaoi
6 (5.6%)

Total Members Voted: 107

Gurke and Hare

Quote from: Noodle Lizard on June 12, 2021, 06:01:13 AM
I'd take Minstrels over Buttons an' all (although Munchies win that genre overall).

What the fuck are you on about? Those clearly all come from different genres (buttons - small pieces of unadulterated chocolate, minstrels - chocolate in a crispy shell[nb]Smarties obviously the undisputed champions. There's nothing nastier than those fake smarties[/nb], munchies - chocolate coated stuff).

The answer to the original question is obviously Dairy Milk. There's a glass and a half in every half pound you know.

Sebastian Cobb

Minstrels were alright.

I miss Vice Versas, it looks like they were briefly bought back (which I missed) but were a shadow of their former self.

JamesTC

Mars Delight were the best.

seepage

I think somebody on here [buzby?] said Hershey's is rubbish because they didn't have rights to the recipe for OK choc, so had to come up with an alternative.

Ferris

Quote from: Sebastian Cobb on June 12, 2021, 02:08:59 PM
Yeah someone at work bought some mini-hersheys back as a present to the office when they went on their honeymoon and I was amazed at how shit it was. It was worse than the shite they put in advent calendars.

As Unicornio points out, North American choc is generally pretty bad and the mini/novelty ones are genuinely inedible.

Quote from: seepage on June 12, 2021, 02:43:06 PM
I think somebody on here [buzby?] said Hershey's is rubbish because they didn't have rights to the recipe for OK choc, so had to come up with an alternative.

Rings a bell with me as well. Ian Hershey made a recipe up in the late 19th (?) century, safe in the knowledge that nobody could afford to ship over the European alternative so he could serve up any old shite.

El Unicornio, mang

Something to do with it containing sour milk back in the olden days and then they stopped doing that and replaced it with butyric acid to replicate the distinctive taste of vomit that American kids go mad for

Also

American chocolate is far sweeter than chocolate in Britain, with sugar being the main ingredient.

Meanwhile, milk is often the main ingredient in British milk chocolate.

American chocolate also often contains far fewer cocoa solids than British chocolate. In Britain, a chocolate bar must contain at least 20 per cent cocoa solids to qualify as chocolate.

But in the US, that figure can be as low as 10 per cent.

imitationleather

Anyone tried that ruby chocolate they have now?

Now that's expensive. Good, though. But not £20 for a very small bar good.

Ferris

I wonder if anyone's made a "Hershey's - I like to know my chocolates pronouns!!" joke successfully, just like I didn't there.

Gurke and Hare

The chocolate on Reese's Peanut Cups (which Hershey make) is much nicer than the normal Hershey's chocolate, they should make bars of that.

I bought a Kit Kat in the US once, and it was only after spitting out the first bite that I saw on the back of the packet "Made under licence by Hershey's". Bastards.

dissolute ocelot

In the spirit of middle class superiority, "galaktos" (whence "galaxy") is Greek for milk, and therefore they're BOTH THE SAME.

Yorkie ftw.

Kankurette

Quote from: daf on June 12, 2021, 06:49:44 AM
Voted Galaxy - which is more of a 'silk', compared to Dairy Milk's 'cotton' texture.

I'm totally hooked on these : white chocolate shell filled with a buttery vanilla cream. Box of 16 for a fiver -

(Have to limit myself to just one ball per-noshing session - total Crack-Chocaine!)
There's a Lindt shop in the Arndale Centre. It does pick 'n' mix. I should be banned from there for my own safety.

Dex Sawash

Wife gets monthly lockdown work from home packs from her work. These are much better than you would think. The rest of the June pack was horrendous though.

touchingcloth

I prefer Dairy Milk, but only really because of the flavour, texture, mouthfeel and smell.

Sebastian Cobb

Quote from: Dex Sawash on June 12, 2021, 04:13:42 PM
Wife gets monthly lockdown work from home packs from her work. These are much better than you would think. The rest of the June pack was horrendous though.

Looks like a less good toblerone.

Tony Tony Tony

Ok now that choco v choco is running out of steam, can I ask where folks stand on chocolate from the fridge?

My view is the colder the better though Mrs TTT thinks this is heresy.

seepage

12 degrees Centigrade, so larder or wine fridge.

touchingcloth

Quote from: Tony Tony Tony on June 12, 2021, 07:47:14 PM
Ok now that choco v choco is running out of steam, can I ask where folks stand on chocolate from the fridge?

They're just different. Horses for courses, chocs for blocks. Feeling a rock hard piece crunch between your teeth and slowly start to melt is a wonderful thing, as is feeling a piece which is borderline liquid land between your lips.

Oasis/Blur, korma/vindaloo. Why not both, eh? Why not both.

Sebastian Cobb

Quote from: Tony Tony Tony on June 12, 2021, 07:47:14 PM

I like to put a twix in the freezer, the caramel goes brittle and it's much better.

thenoise

Quote from: dissolute ocelot on June 12, 2021, 03:58:02 PM
Yorkie ftw.

Currently enjoying the biscuits and raisin variety. While dairy milk and galaxy have reduced both size and quality, Yorke remains familiar. At least, as far as I remember.

Sebastian Cobb

This is way off the original question, but since Yorkies have already taken it off-topic, I reckon Double Deckers are criminally underrated! They may not be my actual favourite but they're very substantial and rarely get a deserved big up.

Replies From View

Quote from: imitationleather on June 12, 2021, 01:00:08 PM
Fuck all this shit.

Get this:

Ethics is good, chocolate tastes nice but why are they doing some kind of co-dependency marketing shit with the branding?  "Chocolonely"?  Fuck off immediately!

Tony Tony Tony

As we are now veering wildly off topic let's go all the Peter Kay way with a mention of a Choccy bar called Ice Breaker. This delight (as far as I remember) was akin to a block of minty twiglet. Seriously enhanced by a spell in the fridge. Without the internet giving me access to historical records I would have imagined I dreamt it.

six pence!

Nobody I know remembers the thing so maybe they trailed it in my corner of the north west and I didn't buy enough of it?

The Dog

White chocolate is just dark chocolate that has been SEVERELY traumatised it is NOT an ethical product.

Obviously I don't eat chocolate because I am a dog and it would kill me faster than a disgruntled vet with a plane to catch. However I do keep a small but lethal galaxy egg on my person at all times in case I am ever compromised by enemy agents or trapped in a really boring meeting or whatever.

Replies From View

Quote from: touchingcloth on June 12, 2021, 07:58:24 PM
Oasis/Blur, korma/vindaloo. Why not both, eh? Why not both.

Because Oasis is worse than being spontaneously injected with AIDS in the cinema, if you were seriously asking.

Replies From View

Quote from: Sebastian Cobb on June 12, 2021, 09:27:15 PM
This is way off the original question, but since Yorkies have already taken it off-topic, I reckon Double Deckers are criminally underrated! They may not be my actual favourite but they're very substantial and rarely get a deserved big up.

Double Deckers seem to have some kind of fake chocolate inside.  I recall Mavericks had something similar which made them inferior to Fuse bars.

Sebastian Cobb

Quote from: Replies From View on June 12, 2021, 09:49:24 PM
Double Deckers seem to have some kind of fake chocolate inside.  I think Mavericks had something similar which made them inferior to Fuse bars.

Double Deckers have loads inside them though, it's like a cross-section of the earth.

Sebastian Cobb

Quote from: Tony Tony Tony on June 12, 2021, 09:40:43 PM
As we are now veering wildly off topic let's go all the Peter Kay way

chocolate wrapped in cigarrete papers, worwerthaallabout?

Ferris

Quote from: Sebastian Cobb on June 12, 2021, 09:27:15 PM

The boy Cobb talking sense. Used to love these chewy fuckers back in the day.

A real meal of a choco bar.

markburgle

Galaxy Salted Caramel is surprisingly nasty for something that should be a straight slam-dunk.

Yorkie is better than both. Happy enough with Dairy Milk but I'd never bother to buy a plain one - too bland. Need the nuts or the Daim pieces of something (or the new honeycomb-nut variety). Galaxy is good enough in itself

Sebastian Cobb

I always wondered why they didn't do a mars-bar dimensioned finger of fudge. Would've been a sure thing.