Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 16, 2024, 05:50:09 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Dogtanian and the Three Muskehounds - Now in Soulless CGI!

Started by Small Man Big Horse, June 12, 2021, 07:24:22 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Small Man Big Horse

Just saw a trailer for this horrible shite - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Nx6EVJ-1GY8 - It's been decades since I saw the tv series and I don't know how well it's aged (or not) but surely it must be better than this crap.

greenman

The original fed into a cheap knockoff of the Dreamworks sassifier 3000.

CGI Murun Buchstansangur surely can't be far away, cousin Rossiter turns out to be the most radical dude you can imagine garneted to liven up your summer.

Blumf

Looks like a straight to video thing, literally VHS, and only stocked in supermarkets that grannies inhabit.

Butchers Blind

God that looks fucking awful. When did they make it, 20 years ago?

I do remember the original series on BBC1, seemed to go on forever.

Small Man Big Horse

Quote from: Butchers Blind on June 12, 2021, 07:33:34 PM
God that looks fucking awful. When did they make it, 20 years ago?

I do remember the original series on BBC1, seemed to go on forever.

When I first saw it I thought someone had mocked up a pretend Dogtanian game for the Nintendo Gamecube,

Claude the Racecar Driving Rockstar Super Sleuth

Apparently they've reversed the usual digital process for this. It's 1 for 0 and 0 for 1.

mothman

This makes me think of that Banana Splits movie from a couple of years ago: as with that, who is this FOR? Who is going to see a Dogtanian movie and think, ooh, must go see that? Anyone who does, ain't gonna want to see this shite knock-off that looks like it's been designed to be sold in motorway services for £2.99. If that...

madhair60

El Unicornio, mang

Seems a bit pointless but can't see anything wrong with it really, maybe we've been spoiled by Pixar and the like. I loved the cartoon as a kid but like most 80s cartoons it's probably not as good as I remember. Although the theme tune with the nonsense lyrics still kills.

phantom_power

It looks awful but seems to capture the spirit of the original.

What next? Angry Birds 3: Wato Wato's Revenge

Johnny Textface

Not sure we, as adults, are the intended audience for this. Looks awful? Not sure my 3 year old will agree. Christ.

Replies From View

Quote from: Small Man Big Horse on June 12, 2021, 07:24:22 PM
Just saw a trailer for this horrible shite - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Nx6EVJ-1GY8 - It's been decades since I saw the tv series and I don't know how well it's aged (or not) but surely it must be better than this crap.

Dreadful.  Reminds me of those video-bin knock-offs of Pixar films, things like Ratatoing.  Most of which were made at least 15 years ago, when limited computing power could be used as an excuse.  You can tell from the sweeping camera moves that they're meant to be showing off luscious scenery - forests, lakes and countyside, so it's not a stylistic choice to have everything looking like a CGI playmobil playset.

Small Man Big Horse

Quote from: Johnny Textface on June 13, 2021, 11:19:12 AM
Not sure we, as adults, are the intended audience for this. Looks awful? Not sure my 3 year old will agree. Christ.

The best kids films can be enormous fun for both adults and children though, so why not attempt that instead of releasing putrid shit like this?

Plus your three year old's a fucking awful film critic and preferred The Godfather 3 to the first two, so I won't be going trusting their opinion any time soon!

jobotic

I said at the time but when my son was four I put on a film called Leo the Lion (with who he shares a name) and he was excited to watch it. He was soon disappointed but I was angry. The animation was actually painful to watch. Some of the time you couldn't tell what was going on apart from that it was causing a headache.

bakabaka

Dogtanian is originally Spanish (as is this version) and is still shown on rotation there on kids TV, so I'm guessing that adults in the UK really aren't their target audience and that the English dub is just in the hopes of picking up a few more bucks rather than to be the main market.

Johnny Textface

Quote from: Small Man Big Horse on June 13, 2021, 11:54:01 AM
The best kids films can be enormous fun for both adults and children though, so why not attempt that instead of releasing putrid shit like this?

Well is the intended audience for this children and adults? I just don't understand why anyone here gives a shit about a Dogtanian film "looking" shit. Anyway, to each his own.

Quote from: Small Man Big Horse on June 13, 2021, 11:54:01 AM
Plus your three year old's a fucking awful film critic and preferred The Godfather 3 to the first two, so I won't be going trusting their opinion any time soon!

Yes he is known for being quite the contrarian, although he does seem to inspire more interesting conversations than his peers.

Claude the Racecar Driving Rockstar Super Sleuth

Then at least some good has come from this cinematic debarkle.

Small Man Big Horse

Quote from: Johnny Textface on June 13, 2021, 12:04:00 PM
Well is the intended audience for this children and adults? I just don't understand why anyone here gives a shit about a Dogtanian film "looking" shit. Anyway, to each his own.

I mean in the scheme of things I don't really care, it just came up on my facebook feed and I was surprised at how awful it looked (and sounded, as the script is terrible too), and thought it was a shame as a proper Dogtanian film might have been a fun way to spend a lazy Sunday afternoon and make nostalgic for the days of my youth.

letsgobrian

It's written by Doug Langdale (The Book of Life, umpteen US animated TV shows), who is also behind the CGI Usagi Yojimbo adaptation for Netflix.

And directed by Toni Garcia who is credited on a load of CG animated BRB TV shows I've never heard of.

idunnosomename

rue the polywhirl

I didn't realise Dogtanian was everybody's favourite hero. I wouldn't rate him even in my top 750 heroes, and I'm Dogtanian!

bomb_dog

Quote from: idunnosomename on June 13, 2021, 03:23:30 PM
oh my god the music drop gag was a horse farting

Kids love farting, it's obligatory. Hey Duggee? Farter. Sarah and Duck? Constantly farting. Mr Tumble? Big farter. Octonauts? Octofarters more like. Go Jetters? Go Farters. And so on and so forth. Essential.

Glebe

Fuck that, childhood-memory ruining shite. Cardinal Richelieu's nose is too small and doesn't go up and down when he talks.

Catalogue Trousers

Also, Juliette now something of a sassy saucepot with actual tits? The deviantart crowd will doubtless love her.

Quote from: idunnosomename on June 13, 2021, 03:23:30 PM
oh my god the music drop gag was a horse farting

Interesting point about this alternate reality; dogs stand on two legs, wear clothes and talk.  So do mice.  So, presumably, does that one that was a cat, if she's still a cat in this adaptation.  Horses are still on four legs, don't talk or wear clothes and fart horribly.  What went wrong for horses?

Gurke and Hare

Given that they're supposed to be musketeers, why do they have swords rather than muskets?

idunnosomename

Quote from: bomb_dog on June 13, 2021, 03:45:00 PM
Kids love farting, it's obligatory. Hey Duggee? Farter. Sarah and Duck? Constantly farting. Mr Tumble? Big farter. Octonauts? Octofarters more like. Go Jetters? Go Farters. And so on and so forth. Essential.
look farting is very funny but. if your big trailer music cut out gag is "horse wont move, instead farts" then I think your comedy movie is in trouble

I remember finding it confusing that the baddy in the cartoon was a bishop.