Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 24, 2024, 11:01:06 AM

Login with username, password and session length

King Gizzard & the Lizard Wizard - Butterfly 3000

Started by Vitalstatistix, June 13, 2021, 09:33:23 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Vitalstatistix

The beloved Aussie psychesters have put aside their recent stoner microtonal explorations for a really fun synth-pop record.

If you're someone put off by the insane rate of releases I would recommend checking this one out. Very nifty on first few listens.

I'm getting Animal Collective and Unknown Mortal Orchestra vibes off this one, with some Altin Gun, Beatles, R'n'B thrown in there for good measure. Anyone else dancing to this in their kitchen?

https://youtu.be/Np7-NgKHCx0
https://youtu.be/1jpnD7haChc

The Mollusk

I gotta tell you I really, really like King Gizzard. Naysayers, some of whom exist on this here forum, who whinge about the stupid band name putting them off ever listening to them are fucking CLOWNS, because Gizz are such a consistently great band. Every album they've ever done - this one being their 18th since 2012! - has been at least a 7/10, many of them stronger. In terms of both consistency and quality they are easily the best modern psych band going, their back catalogue is eclectic as fuck and they're fantastic live. I saw them in 2019 around the release of their environmentally-friendly thrash metal album "Infest the Rat's Nest", sauntered into the middle of the surging Alexandra Palace crowd - many of whom looked about 5-10 years younger than me - and had an absolute rollicking bastard good time.

Anyway yes this new album! It is really good. I wasn't sure at first, since it is a tad formulaic with the new-age Ozrics-style arpeggios being an overriding aspect of pretty much all the songs, but towards the end of it I felt so contended and sun-shiny and happy with it. It's such a fucking lovely record, definitely meant to be consumed in one sitting as the tunes all segue together wonderfully.

It's a shame the album cover is pretty shite. There's literally 3000 butterflies on it. It's done by Jason Galea (jj_cool_juice on Instagram) who's a brilliant artist and does all the covers, promo art and gig posters for the band, so this one was a bit of a let down to be honest!

Vitalstatistix

It's very lovely isn't it. Coinciding with our recent sunshine seems serendipitous. I want to dance to this in a field with some bezzies, a can of red stripe and a bifta.

I agree they're great live. One thing that struck me was less how young the audience looked but how young the band looked! :(

This record is so catchy I think they're going to blow up then I will be obliged to disavow them.

The Mollusk

Heh, yeah they are very young! Not quite black midi young, but still, they're an adorable looking bunch, the type of lads you'd have round your house for tea and your mum would say "they can come round again!"

wooders1978

Did they do a death metal album or was I dreaming?

The Mollusk

They did a thrash metal album, "Infest the Rats' Nest", in 2019. Same year they did their rock 'n' roll boogie album "Fishin' for Fishies". Both really good albums with a great message about the environment/climate change.

willbo

I got into them with the Mind Fuzz album when it came out. But since then I lost track of them. There were too many songs/albums for me to choose from so I never got round to it. I want to dive in though.

The Mollusk

Even though this came out pretty much the same time as "Mind Fuzz", if you've not seen/heard "The River" I strongly recommend starting there. Still one of their best tracks:

https://youtu.be/PUZn1I6llJs

"Microtonal Flying Banana" and "Polygondwanaland" are among their best albums, two of the five they released throughout 2017. Get amongst it mate!