Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 26, 2024, 08:46:28 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Most overused words and phrases in music ads

Started by Famous Mortimer, June 13, 2021, 12:49:12 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Famous Mortimer

Dr Rock

Echo Valley 2-6809

Stunning.

As in "The stunning debut album from [person never to be heard from again]."

Brundle-Fly

Dr Rock

Brundle-Fly

Quote from: Egyptian Feast on June 13, 2021, 01:23:00 PM
'Iconic'

I hate the way that word is so ubiquitous now.   To join 'genius' and 'legendary' and even 'celebrity' as words that have become devoid of their original meaning.

Brundle-Fly

'brave'  Going into a burning house to save a child is brave. Singing about your divorce, not so much

BlodwynPig

The Mollusk

Quote from: Brundle-Fly on June 13, 2021, 01:18:06 PM
'in these troubled/ challenging times'

Haha this drives me fuckin nuts. Anything released in the early months of 2020 that was slightly doomed or despondent sounding, or had any themes of isolation, had an automatic big fuck off sticker of "ODDLY PRESCIENT FOR THE YEAR THAT FOLLOWED" slapped on it by journalists. Lazy shite. Yes I'm living through this hell wank right now, I really don't need walking to the door of a room I'm already in. And besides being a shit selling point - listen to this thing that reminds you how awful your life is right now - in almost all cases it was coincidental and so an insult to the standalone merit of the record it was attached to. Bollocks.

BJBMK2

When advertising rereleases/remasters.

"Now for the first time.."

"As you've NEVER heard before..."

bollocks

Brundle-Fly

Glebe

Johnny Yesno

turnstyle

RETURN TO FORM

An expression used to market Reveal after Up, like they were saying 'that last one was a bit weird, sorry guys!', ignoring the fact that Up is one of REM's best albums.

Egyptian Feast

Maybe more of a thing you'd see in ads for reissues and album reviews by hacks, but use of the word 'seminal' should be severely restricted. If it is ever used in conjunction with the word 'sophomore', hot pokers should be used in conjunction with anuses.

Would the Beatles 'Help' be their semaphore album?

Cheers!

Dr Rock

Tokyo van Ramming

Where are there music ads? I can't recall noticing any for a very long time.

It's a while since I looked at the Boomkat website, but there was a time when literally every piece of vinyl they had for sale was a "sick twelve!!".