Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 25, 2024, 08:10:00 PM

Login with username, password and session length

George Harrison - All Things Must Pass reissue

Started by Custard, June 14, 2021, 11:21:07 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Attila

Reminder that when George published his autobiography way back when (around 1980, I think), you could get the $12 hardback or splash out $200 for a deluxe leather-bound one. As a diehard 14 or 15 year old Beatles-fan (and George was my favorite), my parents just laughed when I asked for the super duper one.

It's going for £4500 now, mum, come'on

https://www.harringtonbooks.co.uk/pages/books/55664/the-beatles-george-harrison/i-me-mine

(modified as I had the date of publication wrong -- there was a lot of grumbling that he had snubbed John in writing the book. It's very little autobiography, and mostly song lyrics and scribbles. I did get the $12 version for my birthday that year, anyway...on the shelf next to me, actually).

Replies From View

The first version of the song 'All Things Must Pass' that I heard was the Beatles Anthology version.  Hearing the finished version on the ATMP album years later, I found that track and most of the others horribly overproduced.  I never really connected with Spector's sound beyond a few very specific songs, and this album in particular could have been beautiful if it had followed the feel of the original demos more.

Rich Uncle Skeleton

Quote from: Head Gardener on June 16, 2021, 09:13:30 PM

Uber edition reminded me of this

I was laughing at the fact this doesn't even include the game and thinking who's buying a box with a load of useless trinkets but looking at ebay people are paying 200-300 for them so fair fucks to anyone who took a punt preordering that

famethrowa

Quote from: Ant Farm Keyboard on June 22, 2021, 12:09:48 AM
The Steve Hoffman forum members just love being miserable whiners. They'll definitely buy it (if they don't buy a second copy that they'll keep under wraps), report on the best price, post messages just saying "Mine shipped!!!!", post other messages complaining about waiting all day long when it was supposed to be delivered, or about their Deluxe copy having a bent corner. Then, they'll complain about the new mix and the lack of dynamic range on dozens of pages, the sycophants will say that Steve should have remastered it, and they'll move on like locusts to the next major boxset for a landmark album loved by boomers.

It's a strange horrific fascination reading that forum, they can make a thread about the most middling classic rock album and boom there'll be 76 pages of discussion about the 50 different vinyl and CD formats it's been released in. What the hell is a SACD anyway? I dare not venture into their "Audio Hardware" section, I can just imagine.

famethrowa

I quite like the Wall Of Sound on Awaiting On You All, gives it that pompous "Billy Graham at an Amway Conference" early 70's feel. An overweight mush of sound but that's ok sometimes.

Ant Farm Keyboard

Quote from: famethrowa on June 22, 2021, 02:13:55 PM
It's a strange horrific fascination reading that forum, they can make a thread about the most middling classic rock album and boom there'll be 76 pages of discussion about the 50 different vinyl and CD formats it's been released in. What the hell is a SACD anyway? I dare not venture into their "Audio Hardware" section, I can just imagine.

SACD was an high-res format that was launched by Sony and Philips two decades ago as a successor to the CD just at the time the patents were about to expire. Unlike every other format, it didn't rely on PCM sampling but on DSD, which was more useful with transfers of analog tapes than with new digital recordings. Discs could be hybrids, with a CD layer and a Super Audio layer that could also feature a surround mix, and required dedicated equipment to play this layer.
Sony bankrolled transfers for a few prestigious catalogs. The initial copies of remasters from the 60's Rolling Stones recordings or from Bob Dylan were hybrids.
It never caught on, and its competitor from Toshiba and Warner, the DVD-Audio, was a flop too, but a few audiophile labels have kept on releasing prestige reissues on hybrid discs.

purlieu

Metallica's Black Album is being reissued as a 26 disc boxset, retailing at £250, which manages to up the stakes in terms of totally unnecessary boxsets, and also highlight how ludicrously priced the Harrison one is.
https://superdeluxeedition.com/news/metallica-the-black-album-reissue/

Pauline Walnuts

That Metallica Box set looks pretty impressive, just a shame it's Metallica.

Even John Heaton has had enough of these overpriced Harrison editions,

https://youtu.be/_N_ZGqJA49Y?t=520

idunnosomename

Quote from: purlieu on June 22, 2021, 05:29:58 PM
Metallica's Black Album is being reissued as a 26 disc boxset, retailing at £250, which manages to up the stakes in terms of totally unnecessary boxsets, and also highlight how ludicrously priced the Harrison one is.
https://superdeluxeedition.com/news/metallica-the-black-album-reissue/
mostly a load of shit you wouldn't want to listen to more than once of course.

https://www.metallica.com/store/metallica-the-black-album-remastered-deluxe-box-set/REBADLXBS.html

I must say, while I knew the Black Album was totally made for the new CD market, I didn't know it never fit on one LP (original Aug 12, 1991 release was two 12" discs). even though the cover would've been way better with an embossed snake and logo. I don't think I've ever seen a vinyl black album.

that whole fold-out lyric-sheet is very early "we dont know how to do CDs yet" stuff.

Pauline Walnuts

Quote from: idunnosomename on July 03, 2021, 10:22:43 PM
mostly a load of shit you wouldn't want to listen to more than once of course.

That's true of all most box sets isn't it?

That Super Deluxe Box set website is full of whingers isn't it? Still at least it told me there was a new Ladyhawke album out, kwel!

Uncle TechTip

Quote from: OnlyRegisteredSoICanRead on June 22, 2021, 11:23:07 AM
Mine hasn't turned up, has anyone's turned up? I'm not going to tell you who I ordered it off, or which country I live in, what would be the fun in that?

What does it sound like compared to the 1988 RCA reissue?

Oh, it's turned up. Oh no it's not, it's the HMIHB BS I've been waiting for! I got a good deal for that, but I'm not going to say where, unless I'm asked, and only people who somehow work out what my random abbreviations actually mean will be interested to ask.

Is it a typo, I'm idly dreaming about what this might contain. All the albums on vinyl, all the singles including Trumpton Riots EP, 30 minute DVD with all three TV performances, glossy gig guide and photo postcards, cute figurines of Rod Hull and Ted Moult and of course the centerpiece, a Dukla Prague away kit.

Pauline Walnuts

It was a joke comment about people using contextless uncommon acronyms that people would have no idea what they mean. VCoSHF.

Very Common on Steve Hoffman Forums'

purlieu

Quote from: OnlyRegisteredSoICanRead on July 04, 2021, 10:17:37 AM
That Super Deluxe Box set website is full of whingers isn't it?
You should see the stink caused when the Now albums were reissued on CD and some of the tracks were the wrong versions (album version instead of 7" edit, ye Gods!). Lots of anger and vows never to buy the album. It'd be understandable if it was a £150 super-deluxe box they were talking about, but the market for these issues is clearly nostalgic casual music fans who won't care or even notice.

They get into worse territory by refusing to buy the Now CD that had the Gary Glitter track removed, or Kate Bush's Aerial reissue with Rolf Harris's vocal replaced, apparently believing their right to have a direct replica of the original tracklist is more important than the artist/label's right to remove convicted paedophiles from their commercial products.

danwho9

Quote from: Uncle TechTip on July 04, 2021, 11:37:47 AM
Is it a typo, I'm idly dreaming about what this might contain. All the albums on vinyl, all the singles including Trumpton Riots EP, 30 minute DVD with all three TV performances, glossy gig guide and photo postcards, cute figurines of Rod Hull and Ted Moult and of course the centerpiece, a Dukla Prague away kit.

Now that would fucking sell.

Egyptian Feast

It wouldn't be 900 fucking quid either, even if the Hull and Moult figurines were made from a tree out of Nigel's back garden.

Pauline Walnuts

Just look at the size of that fucker! Imagine the size of the gnomes, imagine getting into a fight with him

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HbhtLPot3tg

daf

With he amount of loving detail put into that, I can imagine it's something the family really wanted to do for themselves (like the I Me Mine book).

Luckily, they've found enough suckers willing to shell out a thousand each, which means they can get it done for free, with a few bob left over - result!

Pauline Walnuts

daf

Loved the
Spoiler alert
Bigger than Jesus gag
[close]
!

Custard

I do like this new mix, George's vocals are much clearer and more upfront, but I think I'll stick with the bloated original What Is Life, thank you

Really should have been a double album too. He's absolutely taking the piss with that final disc. It's Johnny's Birthday, the dogshit jams, Thank You For The Pepperami, NO THANK YOU GEORGE

I do like how the final track sounds like Marty McFly going too far, until his guitar is wrestled off him

gilbertharding

Quote from: Rich Uncle Skeleton on June 22, 2021, 01:40:59 PM
I was laughing at the fact this doesn't even include the game and thinking who's buying a box with a load of useless trinkets but looking at ebay people are paying 200-300 for them so fair fucks to anyone who took a punt preordering that

The Pooh Sticks Encores EP called. It said "Bbbrrrrrssstttt."

SpiderChrist

Mrs SpiderChrist asked me last night if I'd bought this. Think I might be getting it for my birthday (I'd rather have McCartney IIImagined, to be honest).

Replies From View

Very happy with this.  It's what I was wanting them to put out in 2001 when they went all out with the Terry Gilliam style animated album art website stuff.

Unlike the de-Spectorised Let It Be Naked, this doesn't sound like an unfinished album.  In lots of places it's newly sublime.