Main Menu

Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 25, 2024, 05:46:46 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Dead Beatty

Started by Blumf, June 14, 2021, 12:05:16 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Blumf

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/entertainment-arts-57467111
QuoteUS actor Ned Beatty, known for his roles in Deliverance, Superman and many other films, has died at the age of 83.

According to his manager, he died on Sunday from natural causes "surrounded by his family and loved ones".

Born in Kentucky in 1937, Beatty was Oscar-nominated in 1977 for playing a corporate CEO in Network, a role he filmed in a single day.

Don't really think of Superman when I recall him. For some reason The Fourth Protocol comes to mind.

https://www.imdb.com/name/nm0000885/

Sebastian Cobb

Shame, although tbh I'd kind of assumed he was already dead.

His Network performance was great.

Tokyo van Ramming

Quote from: Sebastian Cobb on June 14, 2021, 12:06:55 PM
Shame, although tbh I'd kind of assumed he was already dead.

His Network performance was great.

Yes, severe deja vu with this one. RIP Neddy and mothman.

Ignatius_S

Sad news - Beatty always put in a great performance and such a versatile actor.

Also in so many rather good films - in the 1970s, in particular, he was in more than a fair few really interesting ones and interesting that he worked with Burt Reynolds a few times in that period.

A little while ago, I watched the entertaining Hopscotch and he was great playing the stupid chief in that; one reason it's such a 'un is how good the cast is.

Ignatius_S

Quote from: Blumf on June 14, 2021, 12:05:16 PM...Don't really think of Superman when I recall him. For some reason The Fourth Protocol comes to mind...

Although I do associate him with Superman, I feel often in these headlines, they go with what they think will have the most name recognition, even if that's not the best work to cite. In some ways, Hear My Song would be a better one to mention in the headline - a leading role that got plenty of plaudits in a film that was very well received - but these days, suspect it wouldn't ring a bell for many.

Had forgotten about him being The Fourth Protocol -nthen agin, that could be testament to how prolific and how good he was!

Glebe

Very sad news. Oddly enough, I think the only movies I've properly seen him in are Deliverance and Superman I and II.

Rizla

His completely superfluous role in local crime caper Restless Natives (aka Shakin' Gregory's Girl) comes first in my mind. Guess he was in the country anyway, or he owed someone a favour. RIP (raped in picture)

Brundle-Fly

Quote from: Glebe on June 14, 2021, 05:34:04 PM
Very sad news. Oddly enough, I think the only movies I've properly seen him in are Deliverance and Superman I and II.

Just had a F**k My Movie hat moment. Deliverance (1972) was his screen debut!

Anyway, R.I.P. big man, he'll always be Ed Connor from Roseanne to me.

mothman

Considering I'd been thinking about Considering I'd been thinking about Hear My Song recently - the Line Of Duty connection, it stars Adrian Dunbar - so surprised I forgot he was in that, too.

Quote from: Tokyo van Ramming on June 14, 2021, 01:20:15 PM
Yes, severe deja vu with this one. RIP Neddy and mothman.

Is there something I should know..?

GAAKKK!!!

Kelvin

Quote from: Brundle-Fly on June 14, 2021, 06:50:49 PM
Anyway, R.I.P. big man, he'll always be Ed Connor from Roseanne to me.

Oh god, that's what I remember him from!

lipsink

Yeah, he was only about 10 years older than John Goodman. They had an incredible onscreen chemistry which really brings out the tense relationship between Dan and Ed. You rarely see 2 such good actors like that bouncing off each other in US sitcoms.

Kelvin

Quote from: lipsink on June 14, 2021, 09:57:35 PM
Yeah, he was only about 10 years older than John Goodman. They had an incredible onscreen chemistry which really brings out the tense relationship between Dan and Ed. You rarely see 2 such good actors like that bouncing off each other in US sitcoms.

Yeah, he was great. Played Ed with a nervous energy that suggested he was always slightly scared of Dan. Smart, subtle touch.