Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 19, 2024, 10:50:12 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Worst Simpsons character

Started by Leej88, June 14, 2021, 02:36:03 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Leej88

Mine would have to be Roy, I know he was a joke about adding useless characters too long-running shows but he is annoying.

dead-ced-dead

Gill unattached from the memory of Lionel Hutz would be funny, but as I understand, he was added to fill the bumbling-buffoon gap of Lionel Hutz after Phil's murder, and all I can think of him as is, "not Phil Hartman."

It's unfair to the character since on his own he's fine, but that's all I see when he's on screen.

Leej88

Gil was funny in his first few appearances but the joke got old.

dead-ced-dead

The Comic Book Guy as a one joke per appearance character = pure genius

The Comic Book Guy being given plotlines and subplots = pure shit

Leej88

Yeah, when he dates Agnes was icky.

Steven88

Duffman, Lindsay Neagle, Disco Stu.

Leej88

I do love one of Duffman's lines, Duffman cant breathe oh no.

pigamus

I find everything involving Abe Simpson to be irritating and not funny

The Culture Bunker

Quote from: dead-ced-dead on June 14, 2021, 02:38:47 PM
Gill unattached from the memory of Lionel Hutz would be funny, but as I understand, he was added to fill the bumbling-buffoon gap of Lionel Hutz after Phil's murder, and all I can think of him as is, "not Phil Hartman."

It's unfair to the character since on his own he's fine, but that's all I see when he's on screen.
Wasn't Gill's first appearance in the episode Marge gets a real estate job at an office run by Lionel Hutz, with Gill as a parody of Jack Lemmon's character from 'Glengarry Glen Ross'?

Leej88

His first appearance was when they steal his hot air balloon?

Jumblegraws

Of characters who have been around since the golden era, I'd say Sam and Larry the barflies, purely because they don't really do anything, which of course is their whole point, so really it's a default answer rather than their being characters I actively dislike.

Beyond the golden age, Booberella is shit. I generally like the deliberately one-note characters, and Bumblebee Man is proof that a parody of a parody can be funny, and I find the story about how he was conceived as a character quite interesting*. Booberella otoh is just dated and her catchphrase is grating.

*For those who don't know, he was inspired by re-runs of the Mexican superhero spoof El Chapulin Colorado that, to an English-speaking channel surfer, gave the impression of being constantly on on Spanish-language channels in America.

Video Game Fan 2000

Characters that are just one mannerism of a famous celebrity and nothing else, like the Yes Guy and Booberella are the pits.

Probably far from the worst nowadays but the mid-00s attempt to clean up Smithers made him into an embarassing stereotype and any b plot involving him was truly painful. What makes it worse is that they were essentially confessing to something they never did - the joke was supposed to be that he liked Mr Burns exclusively. So they made the character more offensive retrospectively by saying "yeah, he was a stereotype but we've cleaned him up a bit now", instead of just phasing out the "women and sea men don't mix" stuff. Considering Apu and others were starting to get negative attention around the same time its bizarre the put effort into cleaning up what was an absurdist joke about a guys crush on his boss. But whatever keep the fat jokes coming guys.

Duff Man becoming a regular was absolutely pathetic.

I repeat what I said about Flanders turning into a bigotted fundie being total bullshit in too many ways to count. Its not even culturally accurate, all that ex-hippy smiles and hugs Christianity associated with aspirational middle class families in the 80s/90s like the Flanderses is fairly remote from Limbaugh listening fire and brimstone Baptists, isn't it? If anything Homer and Marge should be wanting homosexuals to burn in hell and Flanders should be wearing his pronouns on a pin button. He drinks import beer and plays pool, but won't let his kids watch violent cartoons. Everything so well observed about Flanders being the neighbour who has it better than Homer and inspires oafish resentment down the fucking toilet from season 9ish onward.

Small Man Big Horse

Quote from: dead-ced-dead on June 14, 2021, 02:38:47 PM

That's who I thought of as well, the first appearance wasn't too bad but the character's never done it for me since.

mippy

Boobarella is an Elvira spoof, I thought?

mippy

Any celebrity playing themselves is usually shite, but Elon Musk I think was the worst.

I think Sideshow Bob has really worn thin.

chveik

Quote from: pigamus on June 14, 2021, 02:54:16 PM
I find everything involving Abe Simpson to be irritating and not funny

no u

madhair60

Lisa

Don't fucking argue, you should see her in any episode past about season 9. Fucking state of it

Wonderful Butternut

Haven't the writers ruined nearly all of the ensemble by now?

I haven't watched a full episode of The Simpsons in something like 10 or 15 years, but I saw clips from the episode that features Crazy Cat Lady's backstory cos uTube recommendations are weird. Yes, we really needed to know that a recurring gag character had a nervous breakdown from trying to show how strong a working and independent woman she could be by simultaneously being a doctor and lawyer. Is there a joke in there somewhere?

Quote from: madhair60 on June 14, 2021, 04:48:23 PM
Lisa

Don't fucking argue, you should see her in any episode past about season 9. Fucking state of it

One for the "we're now incapable of writing this character so let's make them shit" collection. Same thing happened with Homer, but not as badly cos the writers probably like him more. But he's a total fuckbag compared to earlier Homer, who's well meaning but just a bit thick. Something that has been covered widely by better people than me.

Leej88

Chief Wiggum is awful not only is he an incompetent cop but corrupt as well.

Jumblegraws

Quote from: mippy on June 14, 2021, 04:32:47 PM
Boobarella is an Elvira spoof, I thought?
Yes, who in turn was a parody of Bride of Dracula-type horror characters, hence my "parody of a parody" description above.

Poirots BigGarlickyCorpse

Quote from: Wonderful Butternut on June 14, 2021, 04:49:36 PM
Haven't the writers ruined nearly all of the ensemble by now?

I haven't watched an episode of The Simpsons in at least 15 years, but I saw clips from the episode that features Crazy Cat Lady's backstory. Yes, we really needed to know that a recurring gag character had a nervous breakdown from trying to show how strong a working and independent woman she could be by simultaneously being a doctor and lawyer. Is there a joke in there somewhere?
I quite like that joke tbh just because it's not obvious immediately who Eleanor is. As a one-off joke for a rarely seen character it's fine. But I'm sure they either have or will ruin her by having her move in with the Simpsons because EVERYONE IN THE FUCKING TOWN KNOWS THIS FUCKING FAMILY AND CRASHES ON THEIR COUCH FOR SOME REASON.

GoblinAhFuckScary

Brundle-Fly

Quote from: Jumblegraws on June 14, 2021, 04:51:02 PM
Yes, who in turn was a parody of Bride of Dracula-type horror characters, hence my "parody of a parody" description above.

and I believe the 'Boobarella' name was already taken before The Simpsons for an adult movie title parody of Barbarella (1968) which in itself was a camp take on the French comic strip of the same name. So, a parody of a parody of a parody of a parody? ish.

Brundle-Fly

Quote from: Leej88 on June 14, 2021, 02:44:25 PM
Yeah, when he dates Agnes was icky.

Remind me what happens in that ep?

willbo

Tony Blair cameo and the Mexican Bee Man

GoblinAhFuckScary

don't think there's any legitimately poor characters through seasons 3-8

Leej88

They both shouting at each other then it turns into a relationship and I forget how they break up.

Jumblegraws

Quote from: willbo on June 14, 2021, 05:13:02 PM
Tony Blair cameo and the Mexican Bee Man
Away you go, Bumblebee Man is great. If I ever go out of my way to watch The Simpsons again before the final episode, it will be because they do a 'Bee Man-centric plot.

Catalogue Trousers