Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 29, 2024, 08:30:36 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Worst Simpsons character

Started by Leej88, June 14, 2021, 02:36:03 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

chveik

Quote from: Leej88 on June 14, 2021, 04:50:59 PM
Chief Wiggum is awful not only is he an incompetent cop but corrupt as well.

lol

George Bush Sr.

BritishHobo

Crazy Cat Lady has to be the worst, surely? Even aside from the backstory stuff mentioned above, she always felt like the most lazy, this-will-do, one-note character. Just rocks up and does her irritating screech and throws some cats, which feels like such a stupid, un-Simpsons-like thing to happen.

Pink Gregory

Lindsay Nagle.  There's no joke apart from her being an amoral businesswoman.  Doesn't even really get any good lines, just pure plot device.  Obviously a 'making up for Phil Hartman' replacement, but far worse tham Gil.

Do they still feature Akira the Japanese chef?  Like trying to make the Sea Captain happen again but hardly trying.

Brundle-Fly

Quote from: BritishHobo on June 14, 2021, 05:32:32 PM
Crazy Cat Lady has to be the worst, surely? Even aside from the backstory stuff mentioned above, she always felt like the most lazy, this-will-do, one-note character. Just rocks up and does her irritating screech and throws some cats, which feels like such a stupid, un-Simpsons-like thing to happen.

I quite liked that about her. I certainly don't want the character fleshed out.

Kankurette

Quote from: Leej88 on June 14, 2021, 04:50:59 PM
Chief Wiggum is awful not only is he an incompetent cop but corrupt as well.
Isn't that kind of the joke though?

Brundle-Fly

Quote from: Kankurette on June 14, 2021, 05:59:28 PM
Isn't that kind of the joke though?

I think Leej88 was being facetious.  Maybe you knew that and now you're being facetious? Can never tell on CaB these days.

Leej88

Yeah, I guess gets tiresome after a while though.

Quote from: Video Game Fan 2000 on June 14, 2021, 04:05:38 PM
Characters that are just one mannerism of a famous celebrity and nothing else, like the Yes Guy

Has that Frank Nelson parody guy ever been more than a cameo in like one or two episodes?

This is where I find out he's been a recurring guest character for decades or something.

Ignatius_S

Quote from: Ron Maels Moustache on June 14, 2021, 06:14:42 PM
Has that Frank Nelson parody guy ever been more than a cameo in like one or two episodes?

This is where I find out he's been a recurring guest character for decades or something.

Cameo appearances but must be in double figures.

Blumf

Cookie Kwan. Are there any decent East Asian characters in Springfield?

Leej88

Pepi or should i say pepsi is a dull character.

jobotic

dissolute ocelot

Cleetus and Brandeen Spuckler are probably the longest-running shit characters. They have had the occasional joke and scene of random destruction, but as one-note borderline-offensive incest-jokes are generally dismally unfunny even when not appearing in parodies of Breakfast At Tiffany's.

Also, Snowball the cats (when have you last done something funny) and every hippy (Homer's parents? step-parents? birth parents?).

Leej88

the 2 hippies who slept with Homer's Mum were ok characters.

Dusty Substance

Kankurette

Quote from: Brundle-Fly on June 14, 2021, 06:02:40 PM
I think Leej88 was being facetious.  Maybe you knew that and now you're being facetious? Can never tell on CaB these days.
I don't even know any more, man.

If I had to pick one, I guess it would be Lisa, except when she's acting like a child.

Leej88

The guy in Palooza who Homer speaks to always annoyed me.

Ignatius_S

Quote from: mippy on June 14, 2021, 04:32:47 PM
Boobarella is an Elvira spoof, I thought?

Would say it's a mix of Vampira and Elvira - although the latter was much modelled on the former (and began life on a series that was originally intended to revive Vampira's show), feel the character design is a little more reminiscent of Vampira. In terms of personality, Boobarella isn't really like either.

Although I doubt the lawsuit joke when Boobarella is first introduced was intended as a direct reference to the cease and desist action by Nurmi, if it was interpreted as being that, it could be argued that the character is an Elvira send-up.

Jumblegraws

Quote from: Ignatius_S on June 14, 2021, 09:52:41 PM
Would say it's a mix of Vampira and Elvira - although the latter was much modelled on the former (and began life on a series that was originally intended to revive Vampira's show), feel the character design is a little more reminiscent of Vampira. In terms of personality, Boobarella isn't really like either.

Although I doubt the lawsuit joke when Boobarella is first introduced was intended as a direct reference to the cease and desist action by Nurmi, if it was interpreted as being that, it could be argued that the character is an Elvira send-up.
Can't agree with the bolded part, Booberella could easily pass as Elvira herself, albeit drawn in the Simpsons style:
You're right that her personality is like neither, though. She's more like a Bela Lugosi Dracula impression performed by someone who only knows the character via references in other cartoons.

idunnosomename

ive never even heard of Booberella

madhair60

Quote from: Leej88 on June 14, 2021, 08:00:18 PM
Pepi or should i say pepsi is a dull character.

Yes but his totally innocent delivery is part of one of my favourite stupid jokes ever

"Why does it stop there?"

"Because it's a STUPID PIECE OF JUNK!!"

The Mollusk

Quote from: GoblinAhFuckScary on June 14, 2021, 05:13:33 PM
don't think there's any legitimately poor characters through seasons 3-8

Yeah, this is the real challenge. I'm struggling to think of anyone but Groundskeeper Willie mentioned upthread was an alright shout. Not totally on the money but close.

dead-ced-dead

Quote from: The Culture Bunker on June 14, 2021, 02:56:49 PM
Wasn't Gill's first appearance in the episode Marge gets a real estate job at an office run by Lionel Hutz, with Gill as a parody of Jack Lemmon's character from 'Glengarry Glen Ross'?

You're right, I'd actually forgotten about that. But I do believe that after Phil's death I think a decision was made to make Gil (originally a one-off character) to a more prominent recurring role to fill the gap.

The Giggling Bean

I always find Professor Frink to be an irritating laughter vacuum. I've never watched any of Jerry Lewis's films (aside from King of Comedy) but I imagine I'd hate them if Frink is a tribute to them.

madhair60

Well, the real humans won't... won't burn quite so fast, in there.

Poirots BigGarlickyCorpse

Honestly I can't name a "bad" Simpsons character because even the characters who are shitty now were once good, and also I haven't followed the new episodes closely in about ten years, so if there are newer characters that are shit I don't know about them. Homer is Jerkass Homer now, but he used to be Homer. Lisa is annoying now, but once upon a time she was a perfect blend of precocious and eight-year-old girl. The overused tertiary characters used to be infrequent joke characters who were funny because they weren't overused.