Main Menu

Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 26, 2024, 12:07:55 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Contrapoints

Started by Mister Six, June 15, 2021, 02:15:25 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Buelligan

Quoteit encourages people to moderate and improve what they express and how they express it

We all pray for that.  Clarity, attribution, consideration for the reader.

Mister Six

Contracts output is so sporadic that YouTube doesn't even bother recommending it any more, I guess. Anyway, this is her latest, "The Hunger", from two months ago.

Memorex MP3

I'm pretty sure I watched that whole one when it came out but I can't remember for sure; it was a massive slog regardless.

TrenterPercenter

Quote from: Mister Six on August 22, 2022, 08:45:12 PMContracts output is so sporadic that YouTube doesn't even bother recommending it any more, I guess. Anyway, this is her latest, "The Hunger", from two months ago.

Not one of her best if I'm honest.

Barry Admin

I think I tried watching that one, and was put off by adverts playing at the beginning of it.  Was under the impression that she was against advertising on her YouTube stuff, and that's why she has a Patreon.

Video Game Fan 2000

patreon and crowdfunding can't be any less unethical or 'capitalist' (as the kids use it) than ads these days surely, especially if you've already made it big

and you're giving money to the guy from pomplamouse. talk about working for the man, the zany hipster glockenspiel man. just push that NordVPN and have done with it.

the video is awful. there isn't even anything to be pedantic about. shame

jsgibble

Dk if romance novels are this forum's thing really but I loved this, one of her best.

Blumf

Three fucking hours though.

Can someone edit it down to a sentence?

jamiefairlie

Quote from: Blumf on March 02, 2024, 03:08:38 PMThree fucking hours though.

"It's shite"

You're welcome.

Video Game Fan 2000

Quote from: Blumf on March 02, 2024, 03:08:38 PMCan someone edit it down to a sentence?

No, not ahhhhhhhh

Video Game Fan 2000

you may laugh but i was a member of the nazi party before i clicked on that three hour video about twilight

by eck guv, if i havent only been deradicalised by exposure to the careful curation of alternative narratives cor blimey

bgmnts

Quote from: Video Game Fan 2000 on March 02, 2024, 03:25:31 PMyou may laugh but i was a member of the nazi party before i clicked on that three hour video about twilight

by eck guv, if i havent only been deradicalised by exposure to the careful curation of alternative narratives cor blimey

I'd assume you'd be in favour of a youtube essayist abandoning pretensions of political influence for more frothy subjects!

Think even the most ardent Contrapoints fan would struggle with a 3 hour long Twilight video, though

Video Game Fan 2000

I was actually thinking it was gonna be good because the point she's making is something I agree with largely

but i clicked through and the part on dialectics was wrong, dialectics isnt a list contrasting pairs. and then its all power this and power that ... and whatever book she got that version of the sacred/profane argument from ballsed that up too

harrumpphhhh

Retinend

I think it was good and food for thought.

I'd summarize it as: the desire to be sexually submissive is nothing to be ashamed of. She disagrees with radical feminists who think female readers of a book series like Twilight or its spinoff, 50 Shades of Grey, should be viewed with pity or contempt. She thinks that such books are an honest portrayal of how the average woman gets off.

She complicates this basic argument by a laundry list of caveats, e.g. obviously these books are conservative trash; obviously this mindset is conditioned by patriarchy; obviously men can be submissive too; obviously it's naive to see men as penetrators and women as penetrateds per se... There's a lot of "buts" and I think she ties herself in knots a bit. But she does so willingly because she's not so much interested in the answers as much as the questions. And that's what an intellectual should be like.

So even if it's not a single strong thesis, she provides an entertaining and interesting tour of psychoanalytic literature which I was not familiar with. I learned a lot from it.

Along the way she brings up many literary figures, e.g. George Eliot, Emily Bronte, Samuel Richardson (author of Pamela), and she makes smart comparisons with the current day equivalent of Pamela - Bella Swan of the Twilight Books. This gives a wise reminder that there's nothing new under the sun, even threesomes with sexy vampires and werewolves.

Retinend

Netflix drags out a single gruesome murder story into three hours as standard these days. What's wrong with three hours on an actually interesting psycho-sexual topic?

Video Game Fan 2000

*hands you a big mac*

what's wrong, don't you like grilled beef?

jamiefairlie

Quote from: Retinend on March 02, 2024, 04:04:07 PMNetflix drags out a single gruesome murder story into three hours as standard these days. What's wrong with three hours on an actually interesting psycho-sexual topic?

You can be consistent and hate both because of they're inability to say something concisely.

Retinend

Quote from: jamiefairlie on March 02, 2024, 04:08:32 PMYou can be consistent and hate both because of they're inability to say something concisely.

OK, but in the case of this three hour video, there's a lot of ground to cover - the pop culture phenomenon of Twilight, the fandom including 50 Shades of Grey, the feminist backlash, the psychology of romance fiction, the history of romance fiction, the psychoanalytic tradition of the sex drive concept, and more. Along the way it's entertaining and you learn something, or you have food for thought if you disagree.

In the case of your average three hour Netflix crime doc it's ultimately going to be based on several news clippings, a handful of crime scene photos, and a court transcript - padded out with a fuckton of red herrings and re-traumatized interviewees for the sake of time. And what do you learn from it? The police are shit and you aren't ever safe.

PlanktonSideburns

You can watch them in sections you know

Dex Sawash

50 Shades is somehow related to Twilight?

<leaves thread>

touchingcloth

Has she ever done one about the Boland Amendment?

McFlymo

Quote from: Retinend on March 02, 2024, 04:02:26 PMI think it was good and food for thought.

I'd summarize it as: the desire to be sexually submissive is nothing to be ashamed of. She disagrees with radical feminists who think female readers of a book series like Twilight or its spinoff, 50 Shades of Grey, should be viewed with pity or contempt. She thinks that such books are an honest portrayal of how the average woman gets off.

She complicates this basic argument by a laundry list of caveats, e.g. obviously these books are conservative trash; obviously this mindset is conditioned by patriarchy; obviously men can be submissive too; obviously it's naive to see men as penetrators and women as penetrateds per se... There's a lot of "buts" and I think she ties herself in knots a bit. But she does so willingly because she's not so much interested in the answers as much as the questions. And that's what an intellectual should be like.

So even if it's not a single strong thesis, she provides an entertaining and interesting tour of psychoanalytic literature which I was not familiar with. I learned a lot from it.

Along the way she brings up many literary figures, e.g. George Eliot, Emily Bronte, Samuel Richardson (author of Pamela), and she makes smart comparisons with the current day equivalent of Pamela - Bella Swan of the Twilight Books. This gives a wise reminder that there's nothing new under the sun, even threesomes with sexy vampires and werewolves.

This all sounds quite interesting. Thanks for the summary! I might give it a go (and do it across a few evenings). Love (nearly) all Contrapoints stuff!

Urinal Cake

Quote from: jamiefairlie on March 02, 2024, 04:08:32 PMYou can be consistent and hate both because of they're inability to say something concisely.
I wonder if this generally, has something to do with Patreon vs YouTube. Youtube rewards consistent uploads but Patreons expect something long-form.

Zero Gravitas

I think it's more like Patreons enable it, both through the security of getting predictable monthly payments, and through the need to produce some kind of WORK if you've been getting paid £2 by 30k people.

I couldn't be arsed with this one, from the framing of the discussion through twilight to "Lacan says something similar but I'll quote Žižek" I'm neither well disposed by what I have seen nor interested in sitting through the rest.

greenman

Quote from: Retinend on March 02, 2024, 04:02:26 PMI think it was good and food for thought.

I think the first point is perhaps the most significant, a lot of the other stuff isnt exactly new but I do think were currently in a situation with a pretty universal sexual panic and this highlights that really a lot of the liberial response and that of unpleasant misogynists of the incel/alpha culture are not that far apart and actually support each other to some degree.

Poirots BigGarlickyCorpse

"Chris Morris and his works are good" shut down the forum

Quote from: Poirots BigGarlickyCorpse on March 03, 2024, 09:20:55 AM"Chris Morris and his works are good" shut down the forum

"Nathan Barley"

FORUM RE-OPENED

touchingcloth

Quote from: Urinal Cake on March 02, 2024, 10:51:23 PMI wonder if this generally, has something to do with Patreon vs YouTube. Youtube rewards consistent uploads but Patreons expect something long-form.

If the YouTube videos are 3 hours long, how long are the Patreon ones?!

Memorex MP3

Quote from: Urinal Cake on March 02, 2024, 10:51:23 PMI wonder if this generally, has something to do with Patreon vs YouTube. Youtube rewards consistent uploads but Patreons expect something long-form.
This might be it. Patreons for youtubers are generally per video unless they're very frequent I think, it might be lower risk wrt conserving existing patron numbers to release less frequently.
The ego hit of putting something you've spent a couple of months on out and seeing your patron numbers go down might be a big motivator too.

I see ContraPoints is monthly subscriptions though, which seems very bad when you consider the quality and frequency of their output over the last few years... do they do a lot of patreon exclusive stuff?

Dex Sawash

I can't even listen to an entire glebe monocle drop gif