Main Menu

Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 05:57:24 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Lamest Puns in Music

Started by BJBMK2, June 15, 2021, 03:28:16 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

BJBMK2

The Who naming there indulgent, ten minute instrumental noodling, the Underture, on the Tommy album. 
Because it's like the overture you see but...under...yeah.

The Beatles naming there company Apple Corps, a joke I only got about ten years after the fact.

Obligatory mention of "Hey where do you come from?" "Gnome Mans Land hehehehe", from the greatest song in Bowie's discography.

Any others that are better/worse then this? (Both terms have equal meaning in this category).

sevendaughters

A Salt With A Deadly Pepa. Fair play for trying girls.

DrGreggles

Video Game Fan 2000

Petey Pate

There are some truly dreadful puns in the titles of a few Public Enemy albums.

Video Game Fan 2000

Love Chuck but who the fuck let him call a song "Swindler's Lust"?!

Kankurette

Sax & Violins by the Talking Heads. A goodie.

And He Slayed Her by Liz Phair, which is up there with Catatonia responding to being potentially dropped by writing a very long and angry song called That's All Folks, and having a chorus where Cerys sings words that sound very similar to 'Warners'.

Brundle-Fly

turnstyle

Quote from: The Crumb on June 15, 2021, 04:20:29 PM
Boys So Cool

You've got to say it fast.

I was convinced the Stereophonics had a shit pun somewhere, but on checking their album titles, I see they're just plain, straightforward shit. These lads weren't even clever enough for a lame pun.

Chicory

Now Phats What I Small Music

DrGreggles

Quote from: Chicory on June 15, 2021, 05:09:45 PM
Now Phats What I Small Music

I think that might be the best pun in music though.

dr beat

I raise you 'Theres a Whole Lalo Schifrin Goin On'.

purlieu

Quote from: turnstyle on June 15, 2021, 04:55:54 PM
I was convinced the Stereophonics had a shit pun somewhere, but on checking their album titles, I see they're just plain, straightforward shit. These lads weren't even clever enough for a lame pun.
Promos of Just Enough Education to Perform were sent out with the title abbreviated to Jeep, before Jeep stopped them using the name, might be what you were thinking of.

Orbital's abominably bad dubstep version of 'Satan' being called 'Beelzedub' always makes me cringe.

Kankurette

Pavlov`s Dog`s Dad`s Dead

Quote from: Brundle-Fly on June 15, 2021, 04:15:53 PM
Can we have good examples?

Excellent choice. In a similar vein, I can't resist Trouble over Bridgwater.

purlieu

Inspired by the Therapy? discussion in the later stuff thread. They've always used humour in their music, but I find the frequent pun titles really tedious. Perversonality, Disgracelands, Troublegum, Screamager, Brainsaw, Deathstimate.
Additionally, I always refer to the Thomas Hardy novel as Jude the Obscene thanks to the T? song of that name.

Brundle-Fly

Mantle Retractor

Tim Buckley failing to call his second album "Tim Buck Two" is a great lost opportunity of punnery.

Dusty Substance

Quote from: Mantle Retractor on June 15, 2021, 07:17:25 PM
Tim Buckley failing to call his second album "Tim Buck Two" is a great lost opportunity of punnery.

*standing ovation*

Carter USM had a whole bunch of puns for their songs and albums - 101 Damnations, The Only Living Boy In New Cross,  The Road to Domestos, The Taking of Peckham 123, Surfin' USM....

kalowski

The Mollusk

Thank You (Falettinme Be Mice Elf Agin)

Not even really a pun, just a fuckin heap of shit title

another Mr. Lizard

Quote from: kalowski on June 15, 2021, 07:47:01 PM
So subtle I don't get it.

M.O.R. Specials.
I'm sure I recall an ad in NME at the time where Dammers or someone had actually drawn in dots between the letters and etched out the E just to make it clear that this wasn't going to be Ska's Greatest Hits Revisited Vol. 2.

another Mr. Lizard

SAHB Stories - The Sensational Alex Harvey Band

I rather like Julian Cope's inclusion of a track titled 'Liver Big as Hartlepool' on his Drunken Songs LP, but the eye of the beholder may consider it 'lame'.

non capisco

Quote from: Brundle-Fly on June 15, 2021, 04:15:53 PM
Can we have good examples?

Marie Curie was Polish born but French bred.
HAHAHAHAHAHA!!!! FRENCH BREAD!!!!

Just for the manic way Gruff howls the second line.

Brundle-Fly

Quote from: another Mr. Lizard on June 15, 2021, 09:03:13 PM
M.O.R. Specials.
I'm sure I recall an ad in NME at the time where Dammers or someone had actually drawn in dots between the letters and etched out the E just to make it clear that this wasn't going to be Ska's Greatest Hits Revisited Vol. 2.

Yes, it was a fake sticker on the original LP to indicate their new MOR (60s lounge/ soul covers/ wonky musak) direction, as you say, not the debut album part 2.