Main Menu

Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 19, 2024, 07:03:35 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Lamest Puns in Music

Started by BJBMK2, June 15, 2021, 03:28:16 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

studpuppet

Quote from: Dusty Substance on June 15, 2021, 07:26:50 PM
Carter USM had a whole bunch of puns for their songs and albums - 101 Damnations, The Only Living Boy In New Cross,  The Road to Domestos, The Taking of Peckham 123, Surfin' USM....

24 Hours From Tulse Hill!

Quote from: purlieu on June 15, 2021, 07:00:53 PM
Inspired by the Therapy? discussion in the later stuff thread. They've always used humour in their music, but I find the frequent pun titles really tedious. Perversonality, Disgracelands, Troublegum, Screamager, Brainsaw, Deathstimate.
Additionally, I always refer to the Thomas Hardy novel as Jude the Obscene thanks to the T? song of that name.

Just remembered that they also had a song called 'Opal Mantra'[nb]a pun on 80s boy-racer favourite the Opel Manta[/nb].

weaseldust

dunno about lamest but my favourite is shpongle - around the world in a tea daze

satisfyingly good

PaulTMA

Quote from: Mantle Retractor on June 15, 2021, 07:17:25 PM
Tim Buckley failing to call his second album "Tim Buck Two" is a great lost opportunity of punnery.

Great shame he couldn't have teamed up with Timbuk 3

Bently Sheds

Groovy Train / Gravy Train (?)

Video Game Fan 2000

Are we posting good ones now? My Aim Is True, This Year's Model, High Fidelity

Bad one but great song: Love For Tender

Video Game Fan 2000

"are you ready for the final solution"? Steady on Declan.

Pauline Walnuts

I quite liked Third Eye Foundation's punny titles like 'There's a Fight at the End of the Tunnel'

phantom_power

What is the pun in My Aim is True? Or High Fidelity?

Video Game Fan 2000

Quote from: phantom_power on June 16, 2021, 03:38:55 PM
What is the pun in My Aim is True? Or High Fidelity?

My Aim Is True = I'm on target/I'm trying to be honest
High Fidelity = Good audio quality/I'm so faithful

McChesney Duntz

"She's my soft-touch typewriter/And I'm a great dictator" from "Two Little Hitlers" is top-(desk-)drawer wordplay (but are they puns? A lot of these entries don't quite seem to make the grade, however clever, Trevor...)

(Yeah, I guess they're puns. Whatever.)

Brundle-Fly

Quote from: McChesney Duntz on June 16, 2021, 06:40:34 PM
"She's my soft-touch typewriter/And I'm a great dictator" from "Two Little Hitlers" is top-(desk-)drawer wordplay (but are they puns? A lot of these entries don't quite seem to make the grade, however clever, Trevor...)

or 'You lack lust, you're so lacklustre'

Rizla

Quote from: Mantle Retractor on June 15, 2021, 07:17:25 PM
Tim Buckley failing to call his second album "Tim Buck Two" is a great lost opportunity of punnery.
There was a local Sabbath-esque stoner group round here a while back called "Haar" who failed to call their debut LP "Haar Bloody Haar" for some unfathomable reason. Idiots.

Video Game Fan 2000

We were gushing over Beyond Belief being a masterpiece in another thread, but I like that the alright line "I might make it California's fault" (I was drunk on wine/california fault line) is soon followed by "like the canals of mars and the great barrier reef" - the great barrier reef is a living organism visible from space but the canals of Mars are not a real thing, just an optical illusion caused by dust around craters and fault lines on the surface of Mars, visible from space but not actually a real feature returning to the theme of the song. Nice little flip of his usual habit of using a pun as emphatic or punchline.

pupshaw

Never thought Aladdin Sane was that clever actually

The Mollusk

Quote from: weaseldust on June 15, 2021, 10:29:57 PM
dunno about lamest but my favourite is shpongle - around the world in a tea daze

satisfyingly good

Doesn't work if you say it out loud though. BIN.

poloniusmonk

Blink-182's Take Off Your Pants And Jacket is both annoying and kind of great.

flotemysost

Quote from: Rizla on June 16, 2021, 07:19:47 PM
There was a local Sabbath-esque stoner group round here a while back called "Haar" who failed to call their debut LP "Haar Bloody Haar" for some unfathomable reason. Idiots.

Well, it made me laugh just now.

Not sure if it's even intended as a pun necessarily, but I find the title Kisses on the Bottom quite excruciating.

Also I know I mentioned it in the racist lyrics thread but bringing it up again because it's not even original: D'yer Mak'er. At least come up with your own pun, ffs

Californication isn't actually a bad pun in itself, but as an album/song title it just comes across a bit too obviously oohh exposing the shallow hypocrisy of LA

non capisco

Quote from: flotemysost on June 17, 2021, 12:03:58 AM
Not sure if it's even intended as a pun necessarily, but I find the title Kisses on the Bottom quite excruciating.

That was latter day Paul McCartney, wasn't it? I remember imagining him pleading his wife to plant a series of little smackers on his sagging old aris. "You can do it right now, pleeeeeeease."

McChesney Duntz

kalowski

He still has to do Kihn Kong, Yes We Kihn and Kihning in the Name Of.
Oh, and Wrath of Kihn.

Bently Sheds

New Clear Days by The Vapours. It's got mushroom clouds on the weather forecaster's map!!! Geddit?????

turnstyle

Quote from: McChesney Duntz on June 17, 2021, 12:26:27 AM
Can't forget the entire Greg Kihn discography: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Greg_Kihn_Band#Discography

I like how there's a few non-Kihn pun named albums peppered in there, like they tried something different, but the sales were shit.

'Right lads, back to the puns!'

SteveDave

Complete with racist cover!

Aleister Growley

Beastie Boys - Licensed to Ill

The Incredible PWEI - Touched by the hand of Cicciolina

The Rutles - Blue Suede Schubert (etc etc)

phantom_power

Does Nick Lowe's EP Bowi count?

The Jam - Sound Affects

There must be loads of Half Man Half Biscuit ones. Voyage to the Bottom of the Road, Achtung Bono, Sealclubbing, Venus in Flares, Reflections in a Flat, Four Lads who Shook the Wirral, Ready Steady Goa. I mean I could go on

The Culture Bunker

Quote from: phantom_power on June 17, 2021, 10:56:49 AM
Does Nick Lowe's EP Bowi count?

See also Graham Parker's backing band the Rumour calling one of their albums 'Max'.