Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 26, 2024, 12:03:31 AM

Login with username, password and session length

'I prefer their later stuff'

Started by turnstyle, June 15, 2021, 04:47:55 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

turnstyle

Said nobody, ever. Right?

Any bands/acts whose later stuff you think is better than what is generally considered their 'peak'?

For me Sonic Youth's Murray Street/Sonic Nurse/Rather Ripped trio of albums at the tale end of their career are as good/better than anything else in their library.

I'm also a fan of the free form, scat poetry-jazz approach that S-Club Juniors took with their final album.

purlieu

No Richey-era Manics album would make it into my Top 5 Manics Albums list.

Chronologically, the first Therapy? album I own is Semi-Detached.

I can't stand pre-Dukes XTC, other than the odd song.

Not quite the same, but I think Underworld's '98-'07 material is as strong as their two 'classic' albums, and Drift is possibly their best work to date.

Definitely looking forward to the replies to this.

markburgle

Not later but mid-period Fall is my fave stuff of theirs. The 95-98 period has this whole chaotic, desperate disintegration going on that makes it more compelling to me than when they were firing on all cylinders. The creative successes feel more special.

The first Motorhead album I tried was The World is Yours from 2010. I thought it was great, but when I tried listening to earlier stuff I was hearing a lot of the same ideas only with worse production. Anyone following them from the start probably found that record formulaic but to me it's their best stuff.

JaDanketies

Carcass, I think their melo-death stuff is better than their Grind stuff.

There are probably a fair few people out there who think that Opeth's later stuff is better than their earlier stuff. I know there are people who think this about Alcest. (All are wrong). Around the time Opeth released Deliverance and Damnation, I might've said that this was much better than their earlier stuff, but now my favourite album is their first one, with a drop in quality, then a rise, and then a big drop.

Mac Miller, I think was still on an upwards trajectory when he fentanyled out of this world, and his last album and posthumous album are better than his previous work. Perhaps there are a lot of artists who are viewed as having an upwards trajectory? I know when SOPHIE died the papers said her best album hadn't yet been written. Maybe people are kinder to your latter-day music and view your work as continually improving - if you die at a young age.

I don't know Therapy? well enough to tell you when they peaked, but I do know that I've got the Infernal Love album in my car and it's a banger.

Kankurette

As much as I love Little Earthquakes, From the Choirgirl Hotel is my favourite Tori Amos album.

purlieu

Quote from: JaDanketies on June 15, 2021, 06:39:04 PM
I don't know Therapy? well enough to tell you when they peaked, but I do know that I've got the Infernal Love album in my car and it's a banger.
Troublegum is the peak, commercially, critically and fan-wise, and it's got a few good pop-punk tunes on it but on the whole isn't my thing at all. Infernal Love is slightly more up my street, but it's the oddness of Semi-Detached's heavier stuff, and then later albums Suicide Pact - You First, Never Apologise Never Explain, and especially the one-two of Crooked Timber and A Brief Crack of Light that really appeals to me. They're actually the polar opposite of the other two bands I mentioned, in that I prefer them the less poppy they are. Possibly because I don't really like Andy Cairns's pop songs very much.

Video Game Fan 2000

My favourite MBV record is MBV and its not close.

GoblinAhFuckScary

cocteau twins. sun ra's earliest work is pretty jazz by numbers. captain beefheart? jon hassell? reasonable case to be made about tangerine dream's cheesier shift in direction in the 80s

Quote from: markburgle on June 15, 2021, 06:36:07 PM
Not later but mid-period Fall is my fave stuff of theirs. The 95-98 period has this whole chaotic, desperate disintegration going on that makes it more compelling to me than when they were firing on all cylinders. The creative successes feel more special.

fucking levitate is amazing. absolutely broken, loveable piece of wonk

JaDanketies

Quote from: purlieu on June 15, 2021, 06:47:02 PM
Semi-Detached

Yeah it appears that it was Semi-Detached that I first listened to. I remember having Church of Noise as part of one of those cassette tapes with all my favourite songs on that every kid needed to have in the days of the Walkman. I used to buy pirated CDs from a guy called Mark the Twat in Manchester back then, so it was easy to not know what the title of the album was.

Dusty Substance

There's a case to be made that Scott Walker's later stuff (Tilt, The Drift, Bisch Bosh and the Sunn o))) collaboration) is better than his earlier stuff. I love it all equally.

I recall comedian, podcaster and noted Sparks fan Michael Legge saying of Russ and Ron that he prefers their 21st Century stuff over their 20th Century output.

Brundle-Fly

Depends on how you define later stuff. The post-Pendleton shirts, T Birds and surfboards era Beach Boys?

Pauline Walnuts

Dusty Substance

An obvious one - Johnny Cash. His late period stuff from 1994 to his death in 2003, is vastly better than anything else he ever did.

holyzombiejesus

Mid period Teenage Fanclub, Thirteen/ Grand Prix up to Howdy, is peak fanny.

Whilst I still really love Up For A Bit, The Pastels have improved on every subsequent album (Sittin' Pretty aside).

Give me the more bucolic, laid back Gorkys stuff from Barafundle onwards over the wackier teenage stuff any day.

holyzombiejesus

Quote from: Dusty Substance on June 15, 2021, 08:19:35 PM
An obvious one - Johnny Cash. His late period stuff from 1994 to his death in 2003, is vastly better than anything else he ever did.

I think the two prison albums are really great, patchy but so are the American albums.

gilbertharding

Quote from: turnstyle on June 15, 2021, 04:47:55 PM
For me Sonic Youth's Murray Street/Sonic Nurse/Rather Ripped trio of albums at the tale end of their career are as good/better than anything else in their library.

Certainly in 1993 I would have said I thought Sonic Youth's later stuff was superior to the early albums.  I was a big fan. I kind of lost interest after that, although I have some of the *actual* later stuff too...

non capisco

Quote from: purlieu on June 15, 2021, 06:30:05 PM
I can't stand pre-Dukes XTC, other than the odd song.

They are a classic example of a band whose sound changed beyond recognition over the years and absolutely ripe for this thread's theme. I love most of their albums and eras but I can completely see why someone who's swooned over the bruised, orchestral romance of Apple Venus could then listen to White Music or Go 2 and think "What the fuck is this jerky bollocks and why is he singing like a sea lion?"

Custard

Pulp, surely? Half a career of "this is alright", half of "fuck yeah!"

I knew someone once who genuinely considered the post Roger Waters years to be far superior than when he was in Floyd. Still, this was a bloke who put 4 teaspoons of instant coffee in every cup

Noodle Lizard

I'd think a great deal of younger Swans fans probably don't have much time for the likes of Filth or Cop. Their 2010s streak is certainly their most critically successful.

Sebastian Cobb

Licenced to Ill: dogshit rhymes over dogshit guitar and dogshit 808 beats
Ill Communication: Musical polymaths

jobotic

I can't think of anyone at all. I think this reflects badly on me.

purlieu

Quote from: Shameless Custard on June 15, 2021, 10:01:35 PM
Pulp, surely? Half a career of "this is alright", half of "fuck yeah!"
But the early stuff doesn't fall into the category of "generally considered their peak", surely?

sevendaughters

Fugazi got better slower and more melodic
Hood got better when they admitted hip-hop was better than lo-fi noise
Camberwell Now were better than This Heat

non capisco

Quote from: sevendaughters on June 15, 2021, 10:29:53 PM
Fugazi got better slower and more melodic

Yeah, now you mention it I think song for song The Argument might well be my favourite Fugazi album. Not a second of filler on the thing.

sevendaughters

both were better than Lifetones (who I like!)

My favourite Lagwagon album is Blaze, which at the time - 2003 when I was 17 - seemed a long time after albums I'd listened to as classic older albums: Duh, 1992, Trashed, 1994, Hoss, 1995, Double Plaidinum, 1997, and Let's Talk About Feelings, 1998. It had a song about how old they were called "Falling Apart" but they'd only been away for five years.