Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 09:26:46 AM

Login with username, password and session length

'I prefer their later stuff'

Started by turnstyle, June 15, 2021, 04:47:55 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

the science eel

idunnosomename

Saxon's more Germanic power-metal CD-era/current stuff over their initial NWoBHM classics

SteveDave

The last Arctic Monkeys LP is my favourite of all of their albums and I truly hope they continue in that vein for a bit.

The Mollusk

Quote from: SteveDave on June 16, 2021, 09:57:13 PM
The last Arctic Monkeys LP is my favourite of all of their albums and I truly hope they continue in that vein for a bit.

I can't fully agree, since I think their second and third albums are their best, but I do love TBH+C a lot, and in the vein of the thread's OP you'd be dead right in saying it's better than what a lot of people would say is their peak, which is the first album, which I personally think is the only one that hasn't aged too well.

Fuck that's a big old poorly written sentence isn't it? Bed time for me, it's too balmy tonight.

sutin

Quote from: Video Game Fan 2000 on June 16, 2021, 03:53:29 PM
Its my favourite too but it'd be tough to say I like any period of Sparks over any other.

It's not my overall favourite but I do believe it's their masterpiece.

sutin

Dark At The End Of The Tunnel is my favourite Oingo Boingo album. I think it's just soothing and beautiful.

SteveDave

Quote from: The Mollusk on June 16, 2021, 11:21:05 PM
I can't fully agree, since I think their second and third albums are their best, but I do love TBH+C a lot, and in the vein of the thread's OP you'd be dead right in saying it's better than what a lot of people would say is their peak, which is the first album, which I personally think is the only one that hasn't aged too well.

Fuck that's a big old poorly written sentence isn't it? Bed time for me, it's too balmy tonight.

The only album of theirs I don't love wholeheartedly is "Humbug" It's too much like their form of teenage rebellion- running off to the desert with ginger Elvis to make a racket. Having said that "Crying Lightning" and "Cornerstone" are two of my favourite songs of theirs but they're more glimmers of gold in the murky bucket of that record.

Steven88

Humbug is probably my favourite Arctic Monkeys album, Pretty Visitors and The Jeweller's hands are my favourite songs from it, I loved TBH+C as well and would like the next album to be something similar but maybe with a couple of faster tracks.
Their weakest is probably Suck it and See for me but that still has some great tracks particularly the last three songs.

shagatha crustie

Quote from: the science eel on June 16, 2021, 08:38:33 PM
thank you

I hope you're both aware that he DIED when he was making it.

Spiteface

I don't quite know where this falls, considering the context, but I think Blink 182's self-titled album and their "reformation" album (i.e. with Tom Delonge back) Neighborhoods are their best stuff.

I cannot speak for what Blink did after Delonge left again, though not heard any of it. Maybe Dude Ranch and Enema of the State are the ones people are supposed to like more, but those are what I prefer, along with the Box Car Racer album that preceded the self-titled one.

Magnum Valentino

Quote from: Sebastian Cobb on June 15, 2021, 10:16:00 PM
Licenced to Ill: dogshit rhymes over dogshit guitar and dogshit 808 beats
Ill Communication: Musical polymaths

Probably fair to say though that in the spirit of this thread, Ill Communication isn't the Beasties' "later stuff" - The Mix Up and Hot Sauce Committee are the albums no-one prefers to Ill Communication.

(Even though they're both fab!)

Kankurette

Not a massive fan of the Arctic Monkeys, BUT I also prefer their recent stuff. Like Don't Sit Down 'Cause I've Moved Your Chair (and there was footage of Chris Waddle in the video but it got removed for copyright reasons, boo hiss).

Shaky

Faith No More greatly improved as Jim Martin's influence was dialled down (and once he left the band entirely). The Chuck Mosley albums have the odd good nugget but it's thin stuff overall, with The Real Thing (replacing Mosley with Patton) being the best culmination of that earlier style. Things really took off from Angel Dust onwards. KFAD for the win, and I'd always rather listen to AOTY and Sol Invictus than the first three albums.

Retinend

BeardFaceMan

I think most Descendents fans would prefer their 80's stuff and say that was them in their pomp, I far prefer the likes of Everything Sucks and Hypercaffium Spazzinate though.

DrGreggles

Quote from: Shaky on July 05, 2021, 09:51:02 AM
Faith No More greatly improved as Jim Martin's influence was dialled down (and once he left the band entirely). The Chuck Mosley albums have the odd good nugget but it's thin stuff overall, with The Real Thing (replacing Mosley with Patton) being the best culmination of that earlier style. Things really took off from Angel Dust onwards. KFAD for the win, and I'd always rather listen to AOTY and Sol Invictus than the first three albums.

I think KFAD would win any FNM fan vote for best album*.

*based on nothing

willbo

I listened to FNM's "introduce yourself" a few years ago and thought I could hear the roots of nu metal in it, which could make it the most influential of all their albums. Personally I like both eras of FNM, the metal roots and the 90s stuff. Mick Wall the music journo presciently thought "introduce yourself" was one of the most important albums he'd ever heard in the 80s.

I can't remember if I mentioned it or not but I really like Bruce Springsteen's "Western Stars" album from a couple of years ago, despite never really being into him before.

DrGreggles

I like the sound of Introduce Yourself more than the songs themselves (although I love 3 or 4 of them). Same goes for for the We Care A Lot album.
Can't escape the limitations of Chuck's voice though, despite its charms.

poodlefaker

Quote from: Magnum Valentino on July 05, 2021, 08:30:00 AM
Probably fair to say though that in the spirit of this thread, Ill Communication isn't the Beasties' "later stuff" - The Mix Up and Hot Sauce Committee are the albums no-one prefers to Ill Communication.

(Even though they're both fab!)

I think the Beastie Boys are the only artist I've ever used this phrase about, many times, back in the 90s - when if you said you liked the BBs, most people's only frame of reference was "Fight For Your Right..."

Quote from: poodlefaker on July 05, 2021, 10:46:51 AM
I think the Beastie Boys are the only artist I've ever used this phrase about, many times, back in the 90s - when if you said you liked the BBs, most people's only frame of reference was "Fight For Your Right..."

I was just entering my teens when FFYRTP came out and didn't like it, but thought Licenced To Ill was excellent.

JaDanketies

Oh yeah the Beatles is a great choice.

There's a lot of hardcore punk / extreme metal where the earlier albums are really 'raw' and sound like they were recorded through a calculator, and to me it is so vastly inferior to the music they made when they've got a bit of cash; even the re-recordings of their old songs are much better. I can barely listen to some of the most lo-fi stuff. Leftover Crack and Carcass can be two big name examples (that I'm not ashamed of mentioning on a left-leaning messageboard).

But when I think about it, most of my favourite bands' early records aren't their best, and the best stuff tends to appear in the middle of their career.

Maybe you've gotta do a Nirvana at your creative peak. Not to say Bleach has any bad songs on it, but In Utero's best songs are much better.

Johnboy

Blur, Suede, Radiohead - all got better the further along they got

*runs away*

sevendaughters

Quote from: Johnboy on July 05, 2021, 12:08:26 PM

*runs away*

Polite disagreement on Blur, and Radiohead are almost arbitrary when they'll drop a great one. But on Suede - I agree. I never listened to them in their heyday and went back and listened to everything in order a couple of years ago and thought that their most consistent album work is the more recent stuff.

purlieu

Quote from: Johnboy on July 05, 2021, 12:08:26 PM
There is a suggestion in here that A New Morning is better than Dog Man Star, which might be the strangest music opinion I've ever come across if true.

sutin

Quote from: Shaky on July 05, 2021, 09:51:02 AM

I've never been too fussed on The Real Thing. A few classic rock club disco floorfillers but a lot of epicy songs I barely remember and the production is a bit '80s metal. Angel Dust and KFAD was definitely them at their absolute height, with AOTY being a little less good. Patton's run from 1991-1995, including the first two Mr. Bungle albums, is a great artist at the peak of his creativity. He was young too. Love the Mosley albums too, and always liked We Care A Lot more than Introduce Yourself. It has a UK cold gothic post punk kind of vibe, like Killing Joke or something like that. I met Chuck about a year before he died, he didn't seem 'okay'.

Johnboy

Quote from: purlieu on July 05, 2021, 12:35:40 PM
There is a suggestion in here that A New Morning is better than Dog Man Star, which might be the strangest music opinion I've ever come across if true.

yeh, I knew A New Morning would cause trouble, I don't rate it much but I do think Head Music is their best, by a decent stretch - the guitars on prior albums sound dreadful.

Icehaven

I can't see the first page of the thread for some reason so they might have already been mentioned but I think most of the world were surprised to discover Different Class was Pulp's 5th album and not their first. I of course was way ahead and had been into them since, er, the year before when His 'N' Hers came out.

JamesTC

Innuendo was the best Queen album.

Kankurette

Blur were up and down. I haven't got Think Tank but love 13[nb]Except Tender, which is gash[/nb] - I was made up when they did a 13-heavy set at Primavera.

Key

Most artists I have found suffer from the laws of diminishing returns. The blind confidence of youth is long in the rear view mirror. There's only so many times you can showcase the same shtick, dressing it up in slightly different clothes. Debasing yourself by jumping on bandwagons started by younger, more relevant artists. Think of the mortgage payments.
Final albums often show bands in some form of impending collapse.

Its a shit business.